ADVERTISEMENT

Front page article with Iowa team physician

excellent read. the good doctor was okay with Iowa's protocols to proceed, but not with some other b1g teams.

If the Iowa team doctor wasn't asked about the fatality rate of COVID-19 for those in the age group of 18-22, then it isn't worth the read.

Of course, there is a little bit of room between no symptoms and death. Like long-term heart and lung problems.

Players want to play. Coaches want to coach. Fans want to do what fans do. Of course. But I want world peace too. Conditions just don't seem to make that feasible.

The Miss Americas need to wake up and admit that college football, as great as it is, is NOT life and death. COVID-19 is.

The Iowa team doctor, Dr. Fauci, or any other expert can predict what the long-term health implications will be for those who contract the virus. We know the short-term implication for over 155,000 Americans was death, and the toll continues to rise.

But for some of you, if no college football player dies from COVID-19, it's OK to play. Got it.

Aristotle, any deep thoughts on the long term effects on the back end?

I guarantee the average life-span within the US will drop, over time...and it will have 0% (zero percent) to do with Covid fatalities.

For someone who fancies themself as a "deep thinker"...

You are quite ignorant.

My question is why can’t the players sign a waiver to play and release the university of any legal responsibility? I mean we are talking about young men over the age of 18. I mean they can vote, join the military or do any other dangerous job. But they can’t choose to play a sport??? That is the biggest joke of this all, the government and someone else is making that choice for them. When it’s all said and done and you have others making more of your choices for you just remember it all started with COVID 19. The worst thing is people just went for it without any resistance and won’t complain because they “think they are safer”.

Aristotle, any deep thoughts on the long term effects on the back end?

I guarantee the average life-span within the US will drop, over time...and it will have 0% (zero percent) to do with Covid fatalities.

For someone who fancies themself as a "deep thinker"...

You are quite ignorant.

The holistic approach is missing. The only deaths that matter apparently are from COVID. Nationally, cancer detections/screenings are down nearly 50% since COVID started. Did we somehow cure cancer? I don't think so. People aren't going in for procedures or checkups either because their hospital stopped elective procedures or they are scared to leave their homes. How many colon cancers or breast cancers aren't being detected early enough when they could have been easily cured?

Kids are missing immunizations as their parents aren't taking them to the doctor's office for fear of COVID. And on and on. But any mention that the overall price to society for trying to "push pause" on the economy and normal activities means that you just don't care if people die. No in-between. Can we both recognize that COVID is extremely serious, quite dangerous to certain age groups or those with co-morbidities, and also think that the default setting should be to have as many normal activities as possible? Apparently not.

excellent read. the good doctor was okay with Iowa's protocols to proceed, but not with some other b1g teams.
It’s a little frustrating that Iowa has a good strategy, high level medical professionals, player/coach willingness and it still didn’t matter. If the other schools weren’t ready then they shouldn’t play. I know everyone has enjoyed taking shots at Nebraska the last couple of days, but I can sympathize.

If Iowa has all their ducks in a row, why shouldn’t we play. It sucks.

Of course, there is a little bit of room between no symptoms and death. Like long-term heart and lung problems.

Players want to play. Coaches want to coach. Fans want to do what fans do. Of course. But I want world peace too. Conditions just don't seem to make that feasible.

The Miss Americas need to wake up and admit that college football, as great as it is, is NOT life and death. COVID-19 is.

The Iowa team doctor, Dr. Fauci, or any other expert can predict what the long-term health implications will be for those who contract the virus. We know the short-term implication for over 155,000 Americans was death, and the toll continues to rise.

But for some of you, if no college football player dies from COVID-19, it's OK to play. Got it.

Sometimes it pays to read the small print. Go back and read my post. My. Entire. Post.

How many die from brain injury? Or commit suicide or have dementia? And the game goes on...

My question is why can’t the players sign a waiver to play and release the university of any legal responsibility? I mean we are talking about young men over the age of 18. I mean they can vote, join the military or do any other dangerous job. But they can’t choose to play a sport??? That is the biggest joke of this all, the government and someone else is making that choice for them. When it’s all said and done and you have others making more of your choices for you just remember it all started with COVID 19. The worst thing is people just went for it without any resistance and won’t complain because they “think they are safer”.
NCAA President Mark Emmert came out very strong against the use of waivers when he testified before the Senate last week. Waivers have not held up well to legal challenges in cases where employees were deemed to be working in "inherently dangerous" working conditions. In those instances, courts ruled that employers cannot legally transfer entire risk of harm to the employee.

But football players are not employees and that's where it gets a little foggy. Schools/coaches act in a quasi-parental or custodial manner vis-à-vis student-athletes. If viewed that way,would court's disfavor students waiving their rights? If the players waive their rights and release the schools from all liability, can the schools escape all responsibility for poor safety protocols or negligent medical support? These are some of the issues.

Not surprisingly, waivers are a hot political issue as well. The Dems have introduced a bill to ban colleges from using player waivers for Covid-19. McConnell has legislation to protect all businesses and schools from Covid-19 related liability. I doubt either becomes law and if schools decide to use them, you can be assured that they will be challenged in court by players claiming Covid-19 related injury.

Reactions: Hawkfam4

There have been almost 50 deaths in college football in the last 10 years, if it is not safe why do we allow these kids to play such a dangerous game?
Have you seen the suicide rates for people under 30 years of age recently?

Kids like one below want answers and won't get them because we have so many 'experts' with varying opinions.
Do you realize we are in day 150 of 15 days to flatten the curve?

JC Moreau Retweeted

Zach T

@Goecke_15

·
Aug 12

My collegiate career has come to an end because of a virus that has a 0.04% death rate for people under 70. It’s not fair for people with power and money to make decisions for these hardworking student-athletes of ages 18-23. We can’t live in fear.

I'm sympathetic to any athlete, high school or college, who loses a year of eligibility because of COVID.

That written, if you look at this kid's Twitter feed, he's claimed that "coronavirus is a myth" and that COVID is just an attempt by the Democrats to take down DT Barnum. That isn't exactly conducive to the concept of trying to get the pandemic under control.

As far as his claim that "people with power and money" are making the decisions, I have to chuckle a little bit. He plays for Tiffin University which is in the Great Midwest Athletic Conference. Other teams are Cedarville University, University of Findlay, Hillsdale College, Kentucky Wesleyan, Lake Erie College, Malone University, Ohio Dominican University, Ohio Valley University, Trevecca Nazarene University, Ursuline College and Walsh University.

Forgive me for rolling my eyes at his attempt to co-opt a talking point about "people with power and money." Dude. You play for a D-II school in Ohio. They had 3,253 people in attendance at their Homecoming game last year. They had 2,125 people in attendance at their Senior Day game. The other two home games resulted in attendances of 1,300 and 1,326. They had 1,754 people in attendance at their first round NCAA playoff game played in Kutztown, PA (they lost).

It costs adults $8 per game and non-conference students $5 per game to attend games at Tiffin. Students attending GMAC schools get in free. Season tickets are $40. I pay only slightly less to go to high school events (not limited to football) here in the Des Moines metro area. Tiffin University is likely lucky if they average $10,000 to $12,500 per game for its four game home schedule. That calculates to about $50,000 in total yearly revenue. Put another way, Tiffin University's annual ticket revenue is less than what 1,000 people pay to attend a single game at the University of Iowa. Give me a break with the "people with power and money" claim.

"Death rates," "people with power and money" and "can't live in fear." He seems to be well-versed in the talking points.

I'm sure that he is gravely disappointed that he won't be competing on the gridiron this Fall. Tough break. But, if he were to take some time to educate himself a tad more, it isn't solely a "survival rate v. death rate" analysis.

There have been almost 50 deaths in college football in the last 10 years, if it is not safe why do we allow these kids to play such a dangerous game?
Have you seen the suicide rates for people under 30 years of age recently?

Kids like one below want answers and won't get them because we have so many 'experts' with varying opinions.
Do you realize we are in day 150 of 15 days to flatten the curve?

JC Moreau Retweeted

Zach T

@Goecke_15

·
Aug 12

My collegiate career has come to an end because of a virus that has a 0.04% death rate for people under 70. It’s not fair for people with power and money to make decisions for these hardworking student-athletes of ages 18-23. We can’t live in fear.

The holistic approach is missing. The only deaths that matter apparently are from COVID. Nationally, cancer detections/screenings are down nearly 50% since COVID started. Did we somehow cure cancer? I don't think so. People aren't going in for procedures or checkups either because their hospital stopped elective procedures or they are scared to leave their homes. How many colon cancers or breast cancers aren't being detected early enough when they could have been easily cured?

Kids are missing immunizations as their parents aren't taking them to the doctor's office for fear of COVID. And on and on. But any mention that the overall price to society for trying to "push pause" on the economy and normal activities means that you just don't care if people die. No in-between. Can we both recognize that COVID is extremely serious, quite dangerous to certain age groups or those with co-morbidities, and also think that the default setting should be to have as many normal activities as possible? Apparently not.
They can only tell us what we can't be doing. Nothing about what we should be doing........of course that's mostly because they don't know.

I'm sympathetic to any athlete, high school or college, who loses a year of eligibility because of COVID.

That written, if you look at this kid's Twitter feed, he's claimed that "coronavirus is a myth" and that COVID is just an attempt by the Democrats to take down DT Barnum. That isn't exactly conducive to the concept of trying to get the pandemic under control.

As far as his claim that "people with power and money" are making the decisions, I have to chuckle a little bit. He plays for Tiffin University which is in the Great Midwest Athletic Conference. Other teams are Cedarville University, University of Findlay, Hillsdale College, Kentucky Wesleyan, Lake Erie College, Malone University, Ohio Dominican University, Ohio Valley University, Trevecca Nazarene University, Ursuline College and Walsh University.

Forgive me for rolling my eyes at his attempt to co-opt a talking point about "people with power and money." Dude. You play for a D-II school in Ohio. They had 3,253 people in attendance at their Homecoming game last year. They had 2,125 people in attendance at their Senior Day game. The other two home games resulted in attendances of 1,300 and 1,326. They had 1,754 people in attendance at their first round NCAA playoff game played in Kutztown, PA (they lost).

It costs adults $8 per game and non-conference students $5 per game to attend games at Tiffin. Students attending GMAC schools get in free. Season tickets are $40. I pay only slightly less to go to high school events (not limited to football) here in the Des Moines metro area. Tiffin University is likely lucky if they average $10,000 to $12,500 per game for its four game home schedule. That calculates to about $50,000 in total yearly revenue. Put another way, Tiffin University's annual ticket revenue is less than what 1,000 people pay to attend a single game at the University of Iowa. Give me a break with the "people with power and money" claim.

"Death rates," "people with power and money" and "can't live in fear." He seems to be well-versed in the talking points.

I'm sure that he is gravely disappointed that he won't be competing on the gridiron this Fall. Tough break. But, if he were to take some time to educate himself a tad more, it isn't solely a "survival rate v. death rate" analysis.

There was a reason why it was last in my statement. I wasn't going to do a background check on the young man. I'm retired but not that bored. It's not all about just him for there are millions of high school boys and girl, boy/girls scouts, band members, isolated kids and seniors etc.
Everything you type is not cut and dry totally correct, got it.
The experts, doctors, parents, general population don't agree on anything but until we
have all the answers or vaccines that are proven it's not good for the people to live in fear or hide in their basements. That's not living. It might suit you good because it would give you more time to do background checks and look for info to support your beliefs.
Mine was a simple statement and not five paragraphs, it's just my thoughts.
Good day

1) will the player lose his scholarship if he doesn’t sign?

2) can you guarantee no coaches/staff will apply any pressure on the players to sign?

3) if you do not follow every single protocol to the T, the agreement would essentially be void

4) even if you do things correct, a waiver like this is rarely legally binding.

"Hiding in basements" and "living in fear" are mere talking points designed to evince a reaction. If I wear a mask in public, am I living in fear? Am I hiding in the basement? If I walk out of and refuse to patronize a restaurant whose workers don't wear masks, am I "living in fear?" Or, am I being prudent and cautious and respectful of others?

As I wrote before, I am sympathetic to those whose activities are curtailed by the pandemic. I, too, yearn for return to "normal life." I want to be able to walk in my office without remembering to throw on a mask when in common areas. I want to be able to walk into a store without having to remember the mask that I have hanging from my rear view mirror. I want to sit inside the clubhouse and have a beer or two after my weekly round of golf. I'd prefer to share a cart with my golfing friend instead of riding in individual carts. But my life hasn't ended. I've adapted and will continue to do so.

As for your thinly-veiled shot at looking more deeply at the source, you've actually touched upon, IMO, a huge problem in our society. The refusal to look deeper, to critically analyze and to actually think about things. Far easier to simply post what someone else has written when it matches your ideology without actually considering if what the person wrote makes sense or whether it is factually sound. It took me all of 10-15 minutes.

Congrats on your retirement. Hoping to get there (i.e. "hit my number") in about 10 years. Be well and don't confuse prudence with fear.

There was a reason why it was last in my statement. I wasn't going to do a background check on the young man. I'm retired but not that bored. It's not all about just him for there are millions of high school boys and girl, boy/girls scouts, band members, isolated kids and seniors etc.
Everything you type is not cut and dry totally correct, got it.
The experts, doctors, parents, general population don't agree on anything but until we
have all the answers or vaccines that are proven it's not good for the people to live in fear or hide in their basements. That's not living. It might suit you good because it would give you more time to do background checks and look for info to support your beliefs.
Mine was a simple statement and not five paragraphs, it's just my thoughts.
Good day

ESPN has an article on college football during the 1918 pandemic. The season was delayed. Many games were cancelled. Purdue was a Big Ten co-champion with a 1-0 conference record. And, fans were wearing masks when they watched the games! Obviously back then people didn't know as much as we do now about the vital importance of the right not to wear masks.

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...son-teach-college-football-embrace-unexpected

yeah I'd like to see the statistics on long-term effects because there sure are a lot of athletes that have come down with it that are already playing again. I don't think you have a long-term lung damage if you're playing in the NBA or soccer. Of course and nowadays you don't need any facts to back up your statement. So I guess it's okay cancel everything just in case.

Reactions: unclesammy
@aristotleiowa is going to get pummeled in November because he personifies what he claims to despise...Nazi thought police...par for the course.

What a bag of dicks.

Probably too nice, more like a bag of labia.

What kind of **** fart would have 10 political statements in his signature.

The Democrats will get beat down like a narc at a biker rally because of people like him.

So you minimize him because he plays at a D2 school.

yeah I'd like to see the statistics on long-term effects because there sure are a lot of athletes that have come down with it that are already playing again. I don't think you have a long-term lung damage if you're playing in the NBA or soccer. Of course and nowadays you don't need any facts to back up your statement. So I guess it's okay cancel everything just in case.

You’d like to see statistics of long-term effects from a virus that started about 7-8 months ago?

So you minimize him because he plays at a D2 school.

Reading is a skill.

Characterizing the presidents of the GMAC as people with “power and money” is a lazy take and he’s simply mimicking what he’s hearing from others. The GMAC is not a power conference. It’s not a money conference. In the world of college athletics, the GMAC is the very opposite of power and money.

If I “minimized” him, it’s simply because his argument lacks merit. As does your “take.”

Reactions: JStandefer
Who says that can't play?

You’d like to see statistics of long-term effects from a virus that started about 7-8 months ago?

You can't. It's like a lot of other shit they tell us you just wait 10 or 15 or 20 years from now it will be BAD unless you do this NOW.

The funny shit is the football players ride scooter (small cycles) without helmets. Why doesn't the Big Ten mandate scooter helmets? It's damn dangerous.

Do you know off the top of your head how contagious colon cancer is?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT