ADVERTISEMENT

Frustrations with Garland grow among Jan. 6 committee members

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Frustrated members of the House Jan. 6 committee are ratcheting up the public pressure on Attorney General Merrick Garland to pursue criminal charges against former Trump White House aides who are refusing to testify before the panel, arguing his failure to act is hurting their investigation.

After criticizing the Justice Department during a business meeting Monday night, lawmakers on the panel continued to vent Tuesday about the department having yet to criminally charge former White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows for contempt of Congress — a referral the House voted in support of nearly four months ago.

They argued the Justice Department should also take speedy action against former Trump White House aides Dan Scavino and Peter Navarro after the committee approved criminal referrals against them Monday, which the House is expected to soon consider.
“It is important for the department to act and to act with alacrity for the principal reason that we're trying to prevent another January 6,” Rep. Adam Schiff (D-Calif.) told reporters on Tuesday.

• “Those who push the big lie that led to violence continue to push that big lie. So we feel a sense of urgency and we hope the [DOJ] does also. To me, these cases…are pretty clear cut in that two of the witnesses simply refused to appear. So it shouldn't be that difficult for the [DOJ] to act.”
Congressional investigations have long been bedeviled by current or former White House officials invoking executive privilege to beat back subpoenas seeking their cooperation. At the outset o the committee's work, Schiff and other members said they believed the Jan. 6 committee would be able to get around this problem with the help of a Justice Department they expected would quickly pursue charges against recalcitrant witnesses.

While the DOJ indicted Steve Bannon on a contempt charge, they've yet to address Meadows, leaving committee members exasperated as valuable time slips away.
Committee Chairman Bennie Thompson (D-Miss.) echoed concerns expressed by committee members and argued the three contempt referrals that have piled up for the DOJ to act on are “very clear” cases.

• “We're not a criminal body — we are just looking for the facts and circumstances around January 6 but in the course of that review, there are some very troubling things that we've come upon that we think if [the DOJ] would take a look at it, there would be something there,” Thompson told reports. “We don't have any knowledge that they are, but we don't have any knowledge that they are not.”
Thompson added that he hoped department leaders read U.S. District Judge David Carter's ruling that former president Donald Trump “more likely than not” committed federal crimes in trying to obstruct the congressional count of electoral votes on Jan. 6, 2021, and encouraged the department the reach out to the committee.
Rep. Jamie Raskin (D-Md.), who declined to join the pressure campaign being waged by his colleagues against Garland, told reporters that he didn't think that there had been communication between the committee and Justice regarding the lingering contempt referral against Meadows. Regardless, he said the committee is still set on holding public hearings this spring.

• “I feel strongly that we restore the tradition of respect for the independence of the law enforcement function,” said Raskin. “That was one of the things that got trashed during the Trump period. And so I think that Congress and the president should let the Department of Justice and the attorney general do their job… Attorney General Garland is my constituent and I don't beat up on my constituents.”
President Biden told reporters earlier this week that he “would not tell the Justice Department what position to take or not take,” and wouldn't “instruct the Congress, either.”

Looking ahead: White House communications director Kate Bedingfield said during a briefing on Monday that the White House will not assert executive privilege over the testimony of Jared Kushner and Ivanka Trump ahead of Kushner's voluntary appearance before the panel on Thursday.

Maybe he views to for the reality of it. A bunch of Democrats in power are attempting a political prosecution and attempting to use his office as their tool.

Thanks heavens for your presence here, ciggaretteman.

What would be do without the daily aggregation of bilge?

You're probably not thanked enough. What would a message board truly be without a constant barrage of partisan editorials?

70 percent of the country believes that there should be 1/6 investigations. You are obviously in the 30 percent that doesn't. That says more about you.
He's in the 30% who would not only vote for Trump again but whose lips are securely fastened to Trump's ass. How much you want to bet he's sent Trump money for his "defense"?

70 percent of the country believes that there should be 1/6 investigations. You are obviously in the 30 percent that doesn't. That says more about you.
Not a great argument. 70% of people were against gay marriage not too long ago. Including Biden, Hillary and Obama. They were part of that 70%. Remember? Dick Cheney was in the 30%. What did that say about us 30 percenters then?

Not a great argument. 70% of people were against gay marriage not too long ago. Including Biden, Hillary and Obama. They were part of that 70%. Remember? Dick Cheney was in the 30%. What did that say about us 30 percenters then?
One was at the state level the other federal. We will completely disagree on this issue.

As long as the prosecutions of the rioters are taking place, I'm not sure what Congress is hoping to accomplish. There's always been ample evidence to charge Trump with inciting a riot.

I am part of the 70 percent that is ok with an investigation of that day. Surveys are fun though aren't they? Now ask if the investigation in the House has been politicized. Haven't seen that survey yet

What is the approval rating of the House democrats again? Midterms are coming......

Dems mad Garland won’t be their personal lawyer when they cried Barr was Republicans personal lawyer.

Garland being thrown under the bus...
He's not doing his job so, yeah. Or at the very least provide an explanation as to why he isn't doing his job. If there isn't enough evidence, say that. Or, say the investigation is ongoing but provide some sort of update. Although explaining why you aren't prosecuting individuals who are ignoring a legal subpoena is pretty hard to do so that's probably why he isn't commenting on it. But that brings us back to him not doing his job.

Reactions: CarolinaHawkeye
Sometimes the majority is wrong. Wanting investigations for an insurrection would not be a case where the majority is wrong.

I am part of the 70 percent that is ok with an investigation of that day. Surveys are fun though aren't they? Now ask if the investigation in the House has been politicized. Haven't seen that survey yet

What is the approval rating of the House democrats again? Midterms are coming......
Why didn't any Republicans (outside of the RINOs) sit on the committee? I am pissed that one party has made this seem like a witch hunt. I am not happy with the Democrats either.

Last edited:
Why didn't any Republicans (outside of the RINOs) sit on the committee? I am pissed that one party has made this seem like a witch hunt. I am not happy with the Democrats either.
Well it is a witch hunt. In this witch hunt there are actually some witches but the hunters insist everyone they don't like is a witch and needs to be burned at the stake. They have lost it and will be replaced in the midterms

Reactions: hawkland14
Well it is a witch hunt. In this witch hunt there are actually some witches but the hunters insist everyone they don't like is a witch and needs to be burned at the stake. They have lost it and will be replaced in the midterms

It started to be bipartisan, until McCarthy delayed and then put people like Jordan and a couple of others on the republican side, so Pelosi nixed them, so McCarthy pulled all of his members. Jordan spoke to trump on January 6th, and may have been a witness, so who in their right mind other than a trumpie thought he would be credible. You've seen him before on committees and all he does is disrupt. So, Pelosi appointed Kinzinger and Cheney. The rupublicans had their chance and blew it and now her you all come crying tears.

So, enlighten us all with what part of it is a witch hunt, other than every time trump is accused of obstructing justice or colluding with the Russians, or trying to overthrow an election, or withholding millions of aid to the Ukranians with a shake down of Zelensky, he, trump, calls all of them witch hunts, and his sheep, just like clock work follow his lying a-hole.

Reactions: cigaretteman
It started to be bipartisan, until McCarthy delayed and then put people like Jordan and a couple of others on the republican side, so Pelosi nixed them, so McCarthy pulled all of his members. Jordan spoke to trump on January 6th, and may have been a witness, so who in their right mind other than a trumpie thought he would be credible. You've seen him before on committees and all he does is disrupt. So, Pelosi appointed Kinzinger and Cheney. The rupublicans had their chance and blew it and now her you all come crying tears.

So, enlighten us all with what part of it is a witch hunt, other than every time trump is accused of obstructing justice or colluding with the Russians, or trying to overthrow an election, or withholding millions of aid to the Ukranians with a shake down of Zelensky, he, trump, calls all of them witch hunts, and his sheep, just like clock work follow his lying a-hole.
**** off. You know it's a witch hunt just like everyone else. Demanding evidence as if this is some sort of cross examination.

**** off. You know it's a witch hunt just like everyone else. Demanding evidence as if this is some sort of cross examination.

Right back atcha. Watch something besides foxfake news. Sure are a lot of republicans testifying under oath about the criminal trump and his idiots.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Showing frustration that he won't find Meadows in contempt for not testifying, isn't really throwing him under the bus.
I’d say implying he isn’t doing his job could be considered throwing him under the bus….

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT