ADVERTISEMENT

Fry would have never hired a son to

HawkCharlotte

HR MVP
Jul 17, 2005
coach positions that his son had NO experience coaching.

Neither would Coach Fry would let a coach keep their job when their unit was the worst in the entire country.

Frye was battling cancer his final years at Iowa and had the integrity to resign.

Iowa football needs that kind of integrity soon.

Neither would Coach Fry would let a coach keep their job when their unit was the worst in the entire country.

Frye was battling cancer his final years at Iowa and had the integrity to resign.

Agreed ... but like i mentioned, if a son had NO experience he would not have. He would have found the best person for the job. Iowa needs that kind of energy.
And you know all this how?? Fry was also slipping mentally and it was showing. He got nudged along and didn't just decide that himself. And by the way if Fry had a son that he thought was a good hire he would have done it in a minute. You go on with your BS.

Fry would believe that Kirk is a man of high integrity and will do the right thing. Fry would also give a coach with high integrity and a proven track record a chance to set things right.
Chance to set things right? He’s had plenty of time to make it right, and what did he do? Made Brian the qb coach too. If he wanted to make things right he would have to get rid of Brian and have an actual search for the best available OC in the nation.

And you know all this how?? Fry was also slipping mentally and it was showing. He got nudged along and didn't just decide that himself. And by the way if Fry had a son that he thought was a good hire he would have done it in a minute. You go on with your BS.
And you know this how? Just posing same question to you, so...

You're right, if a coach thought a son with no experience was a good hire, then he definitely would be slipping mentally and it would show.

Boy, that sounds familiar! Except this is now a reality with Ferentz, whereas it's only speculation with Fry.

Chance to set things right? He’s had plenty of time to make it right, and what did he do? Made Brian the qb coach too. If he wanted to make things right he would have to get rid of Brian and have an actual search for the best available OC in the nation.
Agreed. I hope that will happen this off season.

You're right, if a coach thought a son with no experience was a good hire, then he definitely would be slipping mentally and it would show.

Boy, that sounds familiar! Except this is now a reality with Ferentz, whereas it's only speculation with Fry.
Hayden did have a son. I don’t recall if he had role with team or staff but I can recal him making remarks on need to throw deep. Was back in early80s and don’t remember specifics

seems like his name was Randy but wouldn’t bet on it

Hayden did have a son. I don’t recall if he had role with team or staff but I can recal him making remarks on need to throw deep. Was back in early80s and don’t remember specifics

He was on the sideline celebrating the big win at Michigan in 1990

Iowa football has a hell of a lot of integrity.
I agree with the above points but don’t question Iowa Football Integrity

Reactions: sober_teacher

Actually he did. He was very clever about it however. It was an out of wedlock romance that resulted in a son. He was contacted by the mother after the boy was born and they kept in touch. The woman's name was Ferentz I believe.

Agreed ... but like i mentioned, if a son had NO experience he would not have. He would have found the best person for the job. Iowa needs that kind of energy.
You may not be a fan of Brian but he has plenty of coaching experience. I shake my head when fans who don't even know the person they are talking about; yet make statements that are absolutes.

Some quick trivia ... Coach, Bob Cummings had his son play quarterback. Can't remember for how long or the actual years. But, he was never impressive and was booed loudly at a home game. Jim Zabel, the WHO radio announcer, thought it was unbecoming and shocking for Hawkeye fans to do that.

I don't think Fry would higher an Offensive LIneman to be QB coach.
This is not a valid criticism of a coach.

Bill Snyder, arguably the best OC in Iowa's history, played HB/DB for a small school.

Chuck Long coached DBs despite never playing it. Bill O'Brien and Chip Kelly didn't even play offense. Mike Leach and David Cutcliffe, two of the best QB coaches in the country, didn't even play CFB, let alone QB.

This is not a defense of BF, but it's getting to the point where people are saying completely stupid things just to rag on him.

You may not be a fan of Brian but he has plenty of coaching experience. I shake my head when fans who don't even know the person they are talking about; yet make statements that are absolutes.
I do think Brian has good coaching capabilities. But as a position coach. Being an OC is over his head and simply not being dealt with.

Reactions: sober_teacher
The original point of this thread is weird. But with regards to KF, BF, and the OC position. A legit search for an OC at a program like Iowa would've attracted a whole lot of candidates from all over the country who were way more qualified for the position than BF. But KF doesn't want a legit OC who would come in wanting to do their own thing. He wants an OC who's going to be ok running the KF offensive scheme and able to do it effectively. The problem with BF is that he's not able to do it effectively.

He had four sons. One of them was named Randy. Three of them played football for him. The idea that Hayden was above nepotism don't hold up.

He had four sons. One of them was named Randy. Three of them played football for him. The idea that Hayden was above nepotism don't hold up.
Last season they had the "boys" come out on the field for an intro. All quite old themselves now. Think maybe their was a daughter also.

The original point of this thread is weird. But with regards to KF, BF, and the OC position. A legit search for an OC at a program like Iowa would've attracted a whole lot of candidates from all over the country who were way more qualified for the position than BF. But KF doesn't want a legit OC who would come in wanting to do their own thing. He wants an OC who's going to be ok running the KF offensive scheme and able to do it effectively. The problem with BF is that he's not able to do it effectively.
Bill Snyder would NOT be able to be Kirk's OC.

I went to school with James and Steve, James was awesome, had a great personality , and by far the most talented. Steve on the other hand would get butt hurt at friends who criticized daddy on FB and de-friended many of them 😅. Brian was older, a really good friend of mine who graduated and played along side the tool told stories about him coming back to IC. He allegedly became the biggest douche imaginable, acted as if they never played on the same high school football team and became really full of himself apparently. I agree he may have learned a thing or 2 from his short stint in the NFL but by no means does that mean he automatically becomes OC of the Iowa Hawkeyes. That should have been thought out and been a thorough hiring imo. We are now stuck in a tough situation for god knows how long 😬

So as Dragnet said : Just the facts maam.
So here they are:
HAYDEN --------------------
OK, NEB
Iowa State, AZ
Neb, ISU, UCLA
ISU, NEB, AZ
ISU, Penn State
ISU, Penn state, Hawaii
Drake, ISU, N. Ill.
ISU, N. Ill, UTEP
Tenn, ISU, AZ, K State
Hawaii, K State, ISU, Co.
Oregon, Tulsa, ISU
Hawaii, K State, Co, ISU
CinCi, ISU, Miami
Hawaii, N. Ill, ISU
NC St, Miami, ISU, Co.
1993 - Tulsa, ISU, N. Ill 9 B1G games
C. Ill, ISU
N. Ill, ISU, New Mexico St. Only 8 B1G Games ?????
AZ,ISU, Tulsa
N Ill, ISU, Tulsa
C Mich, ISU, AZ
16 Non power 5 (approximately, as they move around) in 21 years

Kirk ---------------------------------------
Neb, ISU, N Ill
K state, ISU, W. Mich
Kent State, Miami (OH), ISU
Akron, ISU, Miami (OH), Utah St
Miami(OH), Buffalo, ISU
Kent State, ISU, Az State
Ball state, ISU, N. Iowa
Montana, ISU, Syracuse
N Ill, ISU, Syracuse
Maine, Fl International, ISU, Pitt
N. Iowa, AZ, ISU
E. Ill, ISU, AZ, Ball State
Tenn State, ISU, Pitt, That power Lousiana-Monroe
N. Iowa, ISU, N. Ill, Central Mich
N. Ill, ISU, Missouri State, W. Mich
N. Ill, Ball state, ISU, Pitt
Ill. State, ISU, Pitt, North Texas
Miami (OH), ISU, N. Dakota St
Wy, N. Texas, ISU
N. Ill, ISU, N Iowa
ISU, Miami (OH), Middle Tenn State
NO OOC covid
ISU, Kent State, Colorado State
S. Dakota St, ISU, Nevada
=== 43 2nd Tier teams in 24 years.

So Kirk has had 27 MORE cupcake games that Hayden.

That is a little over 1 gimme a year. So subtract 27 games from Kirks record, and you get 181 - 27 = 154 wins and 112 losses. That is a little less than 58%. Hayden won right at 60% of Iowa games and if you throw out the 6 ties, it was 68%. So regardless of what the scores were, Hayden is best in my opinion.

So as Dragnet said : Just the facts maam.
So here they are:
HAYDEN --------------------
OK, NEB
Iowa State, AZ
Neb, ISU, UCLA
ISU, NEB, AZ
ISU, Penn State
ISU, Penn state, Hawaii
Drake, ISU, N. Ill.
ISU, N. Ill, UTEP
Tenn, ISU, AZ, K State
Hawaii, K State, ISU, Co.
Oregon, Tulsa, ISU
Hawaii, K State, Co, ISU
CinCi, ISU, Miami
Hawaii, N. Ill, ISU
NC St, Miami, ISU, Co.
1993 - Tulsa, ISU, N. Ill 9 B1G games
C. Ill, ISU
N. Ill, ISU, New Mexico St. Only 8 B1G Games ?????
AZ,ISU, Tulsa
N Ill, ISU, Tulsa
C Mich, ISU, AZ
16 Non power 5 (approximately, as they move around) in 21 years

Kirk ---------------------------------------
Neb, ISU, N Ill
K state, ISU, W. Mich
Kent State, Miami (OH), ISU
Akron, ISU, Miami (OH), Utah St
Miami(OH), Buffalo, ISU
Kent State, ISU, Az State
Ball state, ISU, N. Iowa
Montana, ISU, Syracuse
N Ill, ISU, Syracuse
Maine, Fl International, ISU, Pitt
N. Iowa, AZ, ISU
E. Ill, ISU, AZ, Ball State
Tenn State, ISU, Pitt, That power Lousiana-Monroe
N. Iowa, ISU, N. Ill, Central Mich
N. Ill, ISU, Missouri State, W. Mich
N. Ill, Ball state, ISU, Pitt
Ill. State, ISU, Pitt, North Texas
Miami (OH), ISU, N. Dakota St
Wy, N. Texas, ISU
N. Ill, ISU, N Iowa
ISU, Miami (OH), Middle Tenn State
NO OOC covid
ISU, Kent State, Colorado State
S. Dakota St, ISU, Nevada
=== 43 2nd Tier teams in 24 years.

So Kirk has had 27 MORE cupcake games that Hayden.

That is a little over 1 gimme a year. So subtract 27 games from Kirks record, and you get 181 - 27 = 154 wins and 112 losses. That is a little less than 58%. Hayden won right at 60% of Iowa games and if you throw out the 6 ties, it was 68%. So regardless of what the scores were, Hayden is best in my opinion.
Hayden also had to play OSU and Michigan most of the time. Since the bten split into divisions in '11 this will be only the second time Kirk has had to play both and Michigan kinda sucked for a good stretch there. In 14, 15, 18, 20, 21 Kirk didn't have to play either in reg season and 14, 15 Kirk didn't have to play Mich, OSU or Penn St. The bten west has been very very good to KF. He's going to really miss it

Hayden had two sons.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT