ADVERTISEMENT

FSU fans and all lurkers...

Hawkfan_08

HR Legend
Nov 9, 2002
North Liberty
Please bring all the good juju to this game Sunday. Staley hates us and we are the only team they lost to in the last infinity games. On top of this being the natty, they have tons of motivation to beat us for taking them out last year.

We don't win titles in sports that have over 50 programs (sorry wrestling). I think you get how much this program means to our state.

I don't have crazy high hopes of beating SC but we only have to do it one time! Jump on our bandwagon for one weekend :)

Go Hawks!

Season 5 Team GIF by grown-ish

Please bring all the good juju to this game Sunday. Staley hates us and we are the only team they lost to in the last infinity games. On top of this being the natty, they have tons of motivation to beat us for taking them out last year.

We don't win titles in sports that have over 50 programs (sorry wrestling). I think you get how much this program means to our state.

I don't have crazy high hopes of beating SC but we only have to do it one time! Jump on our bandwagon for one weekend :)

Go Hawks!
C’mon Hawkeyes! Bust a move on demz. Last night was a fun game.

Looks like USC East opening up at -6. I see this game going two ways, either a blow out by USC or close victory by the Hawkeyes. USC East is the bigger and better overall team and they want revenge so, so bad. Those cry babies were so upset last year and have not lost since. Funny thing though, that can fuel a backfire from too much emotion come revenge game time instead of them coming out and taking it to Iowa. And of course Iowa has the Goat. Ratings will be lit.

Interesting. Are Hawkeyes androgynous?

We are conditioned by The Lady Noles...

WQUaVEqk_400x400.jpg

Just use them interchangeably.
As a northern, more liberal leaning school, needing to differentiate “lady” athletes from men is considered anachronistic, I suspect.

lol.

If you don’t call the men’s teams the Gentlemen Noles it’s stupid to call the women’s teams the Lady Noles.
Our history may have muddled up the waters. 75 years ago we were still an all females school, having been designated as such by something called the Buckman Act, which changed us from a coed school with a football team in 1901 to an all women’s institution.
Iowa has its own tradition and so do others which we respect but we aren’t the only University who still occasionally refers to their women’s sports teams as the “Lady” so and so’s.

Go Hawks!
Silly Hawkfan, I bring my A-Game juju to every Hawkeye sporting event.

Unlike you all, we’re not used to being in national championship games that really the rest of the country cares about (sorry, wrestling and field hockey). I barely remember the 1986 Rose Bowl. The 1980 Final Four team that seemed absolutely destined to win it all under Lute Olsen, before Ronnie Lester went down injured against Louisville, was right before I was born (that team and that injury is still obsessed over by my parents’ generation, and national sports media still occasionally discuss that team as one of the greatest “what-ifs?”) Closest thing as an adult was when Ricky Stanzi’s injury kept us from a national title game in 2009, but we knew that one was gone when he went down. For an actual natty you have to go back to when my dad was in 7th grade, and the dominant 1959 Rose Bowl win over Cal and future Vikings’ Super Bowl QB, Joe Kapp. These things just don’t usually happen for us. Special days around here.

Our history may have muddled up the waters. 75 years ago we were still an all females school, having been designated as such by something called the Buckman Act, which changed us from a coed school with a football team in 1901 to an all women’s institution.
Iowa has its own tradition and so do others which we respect but we aren’t the only University who still occasionally refers to their women’s sports teams as the “Lady” so and so’s.
And I don’t have a problem with anyone calling their teams what they want. I am laughing at the ludicrousness of Trad’s assertion that it is “woke” culture that is why most teams are just called a non-gendered mascot.

Because it’s a stupid take.

And I don’t have a problem with anyone calling their teams what they want. I am laughing at the ludicrousness of Trad’s assertion that it is “woke” culture that is why most teams are just called a non-gendered mascot.

Because it’s a stupid take.
Rural Iowa schools do this too. Two that are becoming suburbs of Cedar Rapids are the Vinton-Shellsburg Vikings and Vikettes, and the Alburnett Pirates and Lady Pirates. Both get a chuckle out of me.

Reactions: torbee
Rural Iowa schools do this too. Two that are becoming suburbs of Cedar Rapids are the Vinton-Shellsburg Vikings and Vikettes, and the Alburnett Pirates and Lady Pirates. Both get a chuckle out of me.
I always get a kick out of the Lady Bulldogs - umm, female bulldogs should technically be Bitches.

• Haha
Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
... For an actual major sport natty you have to go back to when my dad was in 7th grade, and the dominant 1959 Rose Bowl win over Cal and future Vikings’ Super Bowl QB, Joe Kapp.
Okay, so I just picked up our food. It’s like Super Bowl Sunday out here: dead except in bars and homes. But here’s why I quoted the above: Our total was $19.59. 👀

Reactions: billanole
Well...good luck to Iowa. I'm still at the office so looks like I'll have to catch the highlights....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT