ADVERTISEMENT

Fun Iowa Football Stats (offense)

Massey rates Iowa #71 in offensive efficiency, not dead last.

Raw stats can be quite misleading.

Iowa's offense is about middle of the pack, actually.
Not all the stats you quoted are “raw”.

As for efficiency, it took a big jump this week because our defense and special teams set up the offense with 17 and 18-yard fields for TD “drives”.

Iowa’s offense is not even close to middle of the pack. The only metrics where it isn’t abysmal (efficiency) are propped up by incredible field position.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
Also fun to think how often the defense and special teams helped. Just thinking the last game the offense was gifted two RZ attempts by defense and special teams plus a pick 6.
Not defending our offense...it's clearly a disaster, but really good D can hurt some offensive stats. For example, if you keep getting short fields, it limits your ability to rack up yards and first downs.

Similarly, if you have a big play offense, you can have very few first downs and a bunch of points. We had a game vs Nebby where our offense had two long TD runs and rarely made it to 3rd down. We converted zero 3rd downs but won comfortably.

It's just interesting that stats can be misleading.

Again, our O is horrible. The offensive line is the worst I've ever seen. It's hard to have much offensive success with a bottom of the barrel line.

Regarding the poster who noted that we didn't get a couple QB's that have torn it up while we got Petras....remember that Petras' stats in HS were really, really good. Everyone here thought he would tear it up. He had the measurables, the HS performance, etc to believe he'd be a rockstar. It just never materialized. It's easy to look at it after the fact and say we made a mistake, but that's not really fair.

Iowa o line has allowed 33 sacks this season..so far.
that is the most in the BIG10.
it all starts up front as they say.
our WRs, RBs and especially QB suffer greatly as a result as shown by stats
too often defenders just push aside our front line

No one is OK with it. But there’s not a damn thing we can do about it. They missed on some OL recruits, so now we’re having to rely on a bunch of underclassmen. They missed on QB’s, so now we’ve got Petras. We don’t have one WR that would see the field on a top 10 team.

But fortunately football is about all 3 phases and we’ve still been able to win 16 games over the last 2 seasons in spite of our offense.

We’re 6-4 with an outside chance of 8-9 wins. So maybe it’s time for some people to stop b****ing and enjoy the ride, no matter how it looks.
16 out of 24 fwiw.

Yes there is, we can stop accepting it

How do we do that and give me an example of a team or fans that put their foot down on a team winning at a pretty decent clip that fired their coach and got better immediately?

Granted BF moving on is the best hope, but let’s say KF says no and keeps winning 9-10 games….we fire him right?

I know that’s what Nebraska did and it has worked well for them !!

No one is OK with it. But there’s not a damn thing we can do about it. They missed on some OL recruits, so now we’re having to rely on a bunch of underclassmen. They missed on QB’s, so now we’ve got Petras. We don’t have one WR that would see the field on a top 10 team.

But fortunately football is about all 3 phases and we’ve still been able to win 16 games over the last 2 seasons in spite of our offense.

We’re 6-4 with an outside chance of 8-9 wins. So maybe it’s time for some people to stop b****ing and enjoy the ride, no matter how it looks.
Not that I disagree with this but Iowa was ranked #2 just last year and keagan, arland, and Nico all were on the field.

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
67%, solidly top 25
I’m not sure why you are always trying to white knight the offense. You can admit we stink on offense. I think what the majority fans are asking for is not much. We literally just want to be an avg offense or hell even a below avg offense. Just imagine how great Iowa would be and how much better our winning % would have been?

#FireBrian

Reactions: not_mantiteo
I’m not sure why you are always trying to white knight the offense. You can admit we stink on offense. I think what the majority fans are asking for is not much. We literally just want to be an avg offense or hell even a below avg offense. Just imagine how great Iowa would be and how much better our winning % would have been?

#FireBrian

White Knight the offense?! And then you follow it up with I admit the offense isn’t very good… At least I think that’s what you’re saying because I literally just posted a new thread about that very thing….

Here is what I know, there have been a lot of coaches fired over the years and rarely do you fire a good coach and get a better one…

ALL of US, would sign up for a better team!!! ALL even KF, but he clearly is closed fisted about the totality of the team the way it is….

Meaning he, like many of us are worried about going backwards. That’s a very likely scenario incidentally and when we finally fire KF it is my prediction that WILL happen and I’d wager money on it!

PS….we did go backwards with Greg Davis by the way! In wins!!

As someone who blew 3k for a weekend in Indianapolis last year I can assure you we did NOT compete in last year's championship game. We had 3 points at half...... again.

Agreed, better not to go at all. I’m sure Michigan wishes they didn’t play in the CFP as well!

Average rank in Total Offense over the last seven years is 110. KF and BF are incapable of fixing this “Train Wreck”. End of story. There is no other AD in this country that would allow this to go on for this period of time.
Exactly. People talk about the OL this year, Petras, etc. All valid points, but it's the same (or worse) results regardless of the personnel we have on the field. Same crap different year.

7 years. That is not a fluke - we need some fresh blood coaching the offensive side of the ball.

Reactions: CerroGordoHawk
As someone who blew 3k for a weekend in Indianapolis last year I can assure you we did NOT compete in last year's championship game. We had 3 points at half...... again.
FFS. Getting to a championship game is competing for a title. The fact that you blew money at a game doesn't give you anymore insight and quite frankly is irrelevant to the discussion.

I sure wish Iowa could have had nearly a 71 percent winning percentage this past 7+ seasons...oh, wait.

Well if we're not recruiting to win championships and we're not competing and building a program capable of winning championships, then what are we doing?...........
IMO....the same teams have vied for the NC for the most part every year for over a decade. The advantages those programs have as well as the steps they're willing to take to stay where they are are pretty well understood. The few outsiders who've gotten close have been quickly shut down. Quite frankly, I consider the NC virtually out of reach and it's not on my radar at all. If we got to the playoff....cool, but it's such a long shot that I don't concern myself with it.

I grew up watching Big Ten football when the Rose Bowl was the pinnacle. I still consider the B1G championship the goal...anything else is gravy. Given the dominance of tOSU and Mich in recruiting, along with the financial commitment and willingness to forego ethics in pursuit of retaining their perch atop the conference, I don't expect Iowa to win that unless the stars align perfectly.

If your bar for success for Iowa is a NC, then you're in for a lifetime of disappointment. I know....loser mentality and all that drivel, but it's really just a realistic perspective. I suppose we could find a Daddy Warbucks and buy success like those at the top have been doing for years, but honestly that doesn't interest me. I'm hoping D1 divides and those semi-pro teams can have their division and the rest can play college football.

IMO....the same teams have vied for the NC for the most part every year for over a decade. The advantages those programs have as well as the steps they're willing to take to stay where they are are pretty well understood. The few outsiders who've gotten close have been quickly shut down. Quite frankly, I consider the NC virtually out of reach and it's not on my radar at all. If we got to the playoff....cool, but it's such a long shot that I don't concern myself with it.

I grew up watching Big Ten football when the Rose Bowl was the pinnacle. I still consider the B1G championship the goal...anything else is gravy. Given the dominance of tOSU and Mich in recruiting, along with the financial commitment and willingness to forego ethics in pursuit of retaining their perch atop the conference, I don't expect Iowa to win that unless the stars align perfectly.

If your bar for success for Iowa is a NC, then you're in for a lifetime of disappointment. I know....loser mentality and all that drivel, but it's really just a realistic perspective. I suppose we could find a Daddy Warbucks and buy success like those at the top have been doing for years, but honestly that doesn't interest me. I'm hoping D1 divides and those semi-pro teams can have their division and the rest can play college football.
No, my bar for Iowa is a national championship, because f*** Wisconsin, that's why.......

Well if we're not recruiting to win championships and we're not competing and building a program capable of winning championships, then what are we doing?...........
How have you not realized by now that this is not Kirk's primary motivation in coaching his football team? You support the wrong fan base if your only measure of success is championships. They don't hide that fact from you.

Massey rates Iowa #71 in offensive efficiency, not dead last.

Raw stats can be quite misleading.

Iowa's offense is about middle of the pack, actually.
I’m curious how much of that is because the QB is so bad and his passes are so terrible no one can catch them thus leading to fewer turnovers.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT