ADVERTISEMENT

Fun read about Robin Lord Taylor and his love for the Hawkeyes on ESPN........

Cool read, I think we can all relate either as a father, son or both. I still remember the first games my uncle took me too in the early 90s, I was hooked quickly and now I'm passing the tradition on to my son, who loves the black and gold even with the Big Red pressure here in Omaha! I lost my uncle to cancer the week after the Michigan home upset in 2003.

I still laugh about this but when Vaughn Dunbar (RB) played for Indiana (mid 90s maybe?), we were right behind their bench in Kinnick. He had a bad game and the Iowa defense dominated that day, and a guy next to me kept yelling "There goes your Heisman Dunbar!" All...game...long. And you know how close you sit to the field. Finally, a big Indiana TE turns around, looks right at me and shoots the 1 finger salute. Indiana coaching staff was none too pleased and "gave the TE the business." I know, cool story bro.

Cool read, I think we can all relate either as a father, son or both. I still remember the first games my uncle took me too in the early 90s, I was hooked quickly and now I'm passing the tradition on to my son, who loves the black and gold even with the Big Red pressure here in Omaha! I lost my uncle to cancer the week after the Michigan home upset in 2003.

I still laugh about this but when Vaughn Dunbar (RB) played for Indiana (mid 90s maybe?), we were right behind their bench in Kinnick. He had a bad game and the Iowa defense dominated that day, and a guy next to me kept yelling "There goes your Heisman Dunbar!" All...game...long. And you know how close you sit to the field. Finally, a big Indiana TE turns around, looks right at me and shoots the 1 finger salute. Indiana coaching staff was none too pleased and "gave the TE the business." I know, cool story bro.
I grew up in a small Iowa town (Missouri Valley) in the 1970s and boy do I know how cocky Big Red fans are. The crazy thing was my dad and I were Iowa fans and everyone else Nebraska. Shoot, even my HS team was named Big Reds.

Reactions: hexumhawk
I grew up in a small Iowa town (Missouri Valley) in the 1970s and boy do I know how cocky Big Red fans are. The crazy thing was my dad and I were Iowa fans and everyone else Nebraska. Shoot, even my HS team was named Big Reds.
You're lucky, not many people can wake up every morning, look to the west, & know that they're smarter than the 2 million people living above & below the next 400 miles of I-80.

I love that show, Robin is such a great actor and I imagine Penguin would be a really tough character to play. I had no idea he was from Shueyville, what a small world.

"People can trivialize sports or they can trivialize television, like what I do, but those memories you create with people are real, and that's ultimately why I think it stays so important and people are so passionate about it, you know. It's a thing that's ingrained in you in childhood that connects you to people who are not with you anymore."

What an amazing line, I don't think it could have been said any better.

I was about 6 years old when I went to my first game with my dad, a spring game, and I'll never forget it.

Thanks for sharing OP!

Wow ... small world. An old girlfriend of mine was close friends with Robin. Consequently, for a few years we both hung out together with the same close circle of friends. Until this article, I had no idea he had gone on to have a pretty successful career. Kudos to him - he was a really nice kid.
Super nice kid - quiet I am told, but very nice. He went to Solon I believe.

Super nice kid - quiet I am told, but very nice. He went to Solon I believe.
Yep, pretty quiet - but definitely a theater type. Around friends, he could be pretty obnoxious and extravagant - but in a fun way. As a quirky aside ... his dad was a pretty old guy, so Robin actually had a nephew who was older than himself.

I had a few drinks with him at a bar in CR last year. I like Gotham, so I knew who he was immediately. He was on the quiet side.

I am a big Gotham fan but I will always think of him as Abernathy Darwin Dunlap from Accepted first

I've yet to watch Gotham (a binge-watch is in the queue), but for me, I first "encountered" RLT while watching The Walking Dead.

ADVERTISEMENT