ADVERTISEMENT

Funny how people are pissed all of a sudden

BlIIlken2

HR All-American
Nov 23, 2021
This is nothing new under Ferentz nor any OC Iowa has had. It’s the same offense it always has been. The difference is the lack of a big ten offensive line and good QB play. Most years that is all Iowa has needed and people have loved Kirk ball because of the stability and undervalued winning he has brought. Yes not sexy, yea it’s gotten old and stale and we might be seeing the beginning of the end but it’s not because Kirk or Brian don’t care, it’s because it’s Kirk ball. Always has been always will. If we had an offensive line and decent QB play we would be 5-1 with a 80th ranked offense and people wouldn’t be screaming bloody murder. Is what it is.

This is nothing new under Ferentz nor any OC Iowa has had. It’s the same offense it always has been. The difference is the lack of a big ten offensive line and good QB play. Most years that is all Iowa has needed and people have loved Kirk ball because of the stability and undervalued winning he has brought. Yes not sexy, yea it’s gotten old and stale and we might be seeing the beginning of the end but it’s not because Kirk or Brian don’t care, it’s because it’s Kirk ball. Always has been always will. If we had an offensive line and decent QB play we would be 5-1 with a 80th ranked offense and people wouldn’t be screaming bloody murder. Is what it is.
Well, Iowa doesn't have an offensive line or a decent QB. I'm not sure I'm following your point.

Iowa could run the Wing T for all I care, if it results in an average B1G offense.

So this is today's version of this post

Complaining but content with results*
Not at all, I’ve been extremely frustrated with the results. We’ve had a few decent years since 2009, last team that really felt was competitive against the national college football landscape.

Everything Since then has been smoke and mirrors. Really dive into our record vs above .500 clubs in that span, it’s pretty poor.

2015 was a fun ride but I think most new it was on borrowed time.

Reactions: nelly02
For the record, I have NEVER liked Ferentz offense. Think where some of our good defensive teams might have ended up with even an offense ranked in the top 65?

All of a sudden???? Fans have been complaining about the offense for years.
Not nearly enough. Doing our decent years, many of these same shortcomings were clearly visible. But when pointed out, the reaction was almost always and universally "what's the problem, we won didn't we?"

Reactions: 83Hawk
It's called perspective.......

In 1976, Pittsburgh won the National Championship running the Veer offense.

In 1996, Florida won the National Championship running a similar-looking base set of the Veer, known as the Pro Set. But they were also multiple, in their formations, helping to usher in the more open, 3 and 4 WR sets that we see today.

And in 2016, Clemson won the National Championship running the Spread offense.

Point being........that's a span of just 20 years, and you look at how offenses have evolved in those time frames (at least for teams competing for National Championships...........)

Kirk has been here for 23 years. Iowa hasn't evolved.........they've regressed.

KF style of offense is heavily dependent on a strong O line. He had an iffy O line last year, did not go to portal to try and improve it this year, and now we’re up the creek. I’m sure Petras is giving it all he has, but in a O line down year, QB play will stand out be it good or bad.

Reactions: amahawk
Yes it does. The number of fans who think 8 wins is a good season has always been very high. CONTENT
I think you are defining "content" as the same as "not pissed".

It's what grown up's do when they have no control of something.

If that's "content", then maybe you're right.

Reactions: HawkeyeShawn
This is nothing new under Subway nor any Sandwich. It’s the same sandwich it always has been. The difference is the moldy bread. Most years unmoldy bread is all we have needed and people have loved subway because of the consistency and reasonable priced sandwiches. Yes not sexy, yea it’s gotten old and stale and we might be seeing the beginning of the end but it’s not because subway doesn’t care - they just make the same sandwiches. Always has been always will. If we had unmoldy bread the sandwich would be fine and people wouldn’t be screaming bloody murder. Is what it is.

Reactions: hawkeyebob62
The game has changed considerably in the past ten years--both NCAA and NFL. Going beyond basic results, Hawkeye football has just become pretty boring to watch because it has unfortunately become a relic of the game. As every year passes this becomes more apparent.

It kills me to watch other games feeling more entertained. How can that be?

Reactions: kcgolfer
Yes it does. The number of fans who think 8 wins is a good season has always been very high. CONTENT
8 wins with perspective. Here's the years Kirk's teams won exactly 8 games:

2010- extremely disappointing season capped off with a win over #12 Missouri in the Insight Bowl

2013- solid rebound season coming off the 4-8 2012 disaster, but a frustrating effort in the bowl game loss to LSU

2016- disappointing follow-up season to 2015 capped off with the embarrassing waste of a trip to Florida for the Gator Bowl.

2017- Roller coaster season of near-misses and exciting wins along with breaking in a new QB in Stanley and other young playmakers still emerging. Finished with a decent, albeit ho-hum win over Boston College in the Ice-err ah Pinstripe Bowl.......

Complaining but content with results*
um, have we even put up more than 2 offensive td vs a p5 team since psu? Psu...i believe the game our HC told our offense to NOT score a td in a game that WAS NOT over!

have we had a transfer portal like we do now for the last 20 years?

Anybody that should be coaching p5 football should have seen that we needed ol and qb and KF didn't bring in a single player! He also kept his SON as possibly the worst OC in cfb.

I personally was not content with 10 wins last year...the last 8 games were every bit as ugly and anything but entertaining. We couldn't even score vs the crap teams we played!

Glad you're enjoying the show though....

edit:
another question for you......in our last 12 P5 games, have we scored more than 1 offensive in even half those??

um, have we even put up more than 2 offensive td vs a p5 team since psu? Psu...i believe the game our HC told our offense to NOT score a td in a game that WAS NOT over!

Anybody that should be coaching p5 football should have seen that we needed ol and qb and KF didn't bring in a single player! He also kept his SON as possibly the worst OC in cfb.

I personally was not content with 10 wins last year...the last 8 games were every bit as ugly and anything but entertaining. We couldn't even score vs the crap teams we played!

edit:
another question for you......in our last 12 P5 games, have we scored more than 1 offensive in even half those??

Michigan was the only game this season with more than one offensive TD. That’s including P5 to FCS games.

Since PSU, Kentucky was the only other game with this starting QB. So basically twice in 10 games. 😞 😢 😔

This is nothing new under Subway nor any Sandwich. It’s the same sandwich it always has been. The difference is the moldy bread. Most years unmoldy bread is all we have needed and people have loved subway because of the consistency and reasonable priced sandwiches. Yes not sexy, yea it’s gotten old and stale and we might be seeing the beginning of the end but it’s not because subway doesn’t care - they just make the same sandwiches. Always has been always will. If we had unmoldy bread the sandwich would be fine and people wouldn’t be screaming bloody murder. Is what it is.
The bread is moldy, the meat has salmonella, and the lettuce is brown on the Iowa sandwich.

Reactions: Thunderlips71
No, this has the classic get taken to the woodshed and get an old fashioned beat down.

edit:
There is no "possibily", his son IS 131/131 in total offense.

here are the losses isu, il, mi
i look back at these games and it seems to me that if we had a qb from any of the bottom top-100 teams in cfb we are likely 5-1 and possibly 6-0 WITH a still sketchy (hovering around 100ish but not last ranked) offense.
not sure what point i am trying to make but it seems aligned with op. is this take wrong?

when you're winning 8-10 games a year, the complaining is muted and not universal. This year, when we win 5 or 6 and look terrible doing it, you get the complaining. It's not complicated

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT