ADVERTISEMENT

FWIW: Carton to Ohio State

Wish it wasn't the B1G. But it is what it is... It'll be interesting to seem what OSU does once their new coach is not playing with Thad's players. Yes, he did good so far. But we'll see in a couple of years. Hopefully he falls on his face. That would be just fine with me.

Reactions: Hawkdome
Had to of liked the big city vibe and athletic resources there.

Can't blame the kid for going somewhere that has success.
With Fran' s game demeanor he looks like he doesn't have confidence in what his team is doing and loses his mind over it. Who would want to play for someone like that.
Stupid. Plenty of coaches go ape.

Reactions: jimbob22
Young coach.

MONSTER athletic programs. Few schools in the country can compare in terms of resources available to athletes.

Basketball is most definitely second fiddle though.

A bit surprised that he didn’t pick Michigan or IU but he’ll do well there.

Let’s face it. The ceiling at any of those three schools is higher than at Iowa. Just the way it is.

This is a comparably sleepy program. Something has to change.

Last edited:
Xavier Foster will say good-bye too
I would guess Foster will be looking at the Hawks record this season. If Fran and company fall short again the Hawks won't be in his top 3 either. Fran has to over achieve with his players. He has to take 3 star players and turn them into a team that scraps and fights and doesn't give up.

Youve-stopped-caring-about-everything.gif

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
Quicker decision than I thought. OSU is a nice campus and athletics has a BIG budget. I wish DJ well, except for when he plays Iowa.

Wow, what a weird boring choice.

When I think about osu basketball, wait I never do that.

See ya in the middle of the pack DJ.

A more successful program historically with a better recent trajectory.

But, I seriously doubt he was that analytical in his decision making. He's a teenager.

This almost surely had as much to do with personal relationships he established with the coaching staff there AND the influence of the adults in his life that he listens to.

Reactions: kceasthawk
If he was going to pick one of the 3 teams he talked about, OSU is the best choice for us. UM is on too much of a roll and needs to be toned down. IND is a true blue blood that always has a chance to be really good. OSU can be good or not good depending on the way the wind blows. All that being said, good luck to the kid except when playing the Hawks.

Didn’t want him anyway...

We'll be fine....

Ohio State cheats...

Connor is better...

Did I miss any?

Nothing like that at all. Your personal biases shine through bright here. Let me explain. I know Carton's name because the Hawkeyes were recruiting him. I had passing interest in him because he was being recruited, and only because he was being recruited. He is no longer being recruited. He is now just another name among hundreds of millions in just this country. No animosity for him, and you won't see one post from me showing any.
I hope the kid does well and gets what he wants in life, just the way I hope the same for the kid that lives down the road or some random kid in BFE. Just like I hope that guys that play here and go to the pros do well. But being honest, the majority of my individual interest in them wanes after they leave. I hope they do well, but they have moved from a Hawkeye to another face in the crowd for the most part. Yes, once a Hawkeye, always a Hawkeye. Very true. But my interest is in the games on the field. My interest is in the Hawkeyes, plain and simple. And that all applies to recruits. I had interest because of the association with Iowa. That association is over. That interest is over. It really is that simple.

It's time to move on from carton just like he moved on from the hawks. Time to find the best available option

Tell yourself whatever you need to but he was an in-state player living an hour from Iowa City, at a position of great need for Iowa, whose freaking grandfather played for Iowa, and we didn’t make his top 3.

Is he a native Ohioan?

Silly.

Facts suck when you have the emotional stability of junior high girl.

Reactions: Ronman
Tell yourself whatever you need to but he was an in-state player living an hour from Iowa City, at a position of great need for Iowa, whose freaking grandfather played for Iowa, and we didn’t make his top 3.

Is he a native Ohioan?

Silly.

I believe his grandfather was a walk on for one year and didn't even play in a game.

Not exactly the career that defines someone or is the type that family members spend hours reminiscing about.

I believe his grandfather was a walk on for one year and didn't even play in a game.

Not exactly the career that defines someone or is the type that family members spend hours reminiscing about.

Most certainly, however, a positive connection with the university that other schools did not have.

You can rationalize all you want why Iowa didn’t even make the final three cut but rationalization doesn’t improve the program. Talent does.

Fran still struggles to land a highly regarded PG even one who is a native Iowan. Not good.
That one dangles conspicuously around Fran's neck and will continue to stifle program development. He doesn't offer anything to a top shelf pg.

It has been comical to read the responses from those who thought Iowa was ever in the mix for Carton. Win and don't be a mediocre program Fran. You just got schooled by a program that was a dumpster fire with their version of you (coach kept too long who couldn't manage a roster) and is now benefiting from making a better hire. This is a concept lost on many in this forum. Keep Fran for life because he isn't Lickliter.

Carton this time, but it will be some other kid next etc. Fran can't recruit at this level and last year put Iowa much closer to the Lickliter years than anything resembling the regional powerhouse Fran talked about building. Again, see the impact of coaching changes at OSU, IU and countless other programs. No guarantees, but keeping Fran guarantees no NCAA appearances.

Reactions: anon_i8nzeu2gbf0ba
If he was going to pick one of the 3 teams he talked about, OSU is the best choice for us. UM is on too much of a roll and needs to be toned down. IND is a true blue blood that always has a chance to be really good. OSU can be good or not good depending on the way the wind blows. All that being said, good luck to the kid except when playing the Hawks.

Indiana is not a true blue blood.

If they are, then Nebraska is in football.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT