ADVERTISEMENT

FWIW: Carton to Ohio State

This is a huge miss for FM and staff. Fran's recruiting tactics need to be retooled or this program never reaches the next level as in consistent NCAA tourney appearances and top five conference finishes.

This is a huge miss for FM and staff. Fran's recruiting tactics need to be retooled or this program never reaches the next level as in consistent NCAA tourney appearances and top five conference finishes.
How would you change the recruitment style of Carton or similar players? In my mind, it’s simple and nothing to do with the recruiting process. Just win more.

Most certainly, however, a positive connection with the university that other schools did not have.

You can rationalize all you want why Iowa didn’t even make the final three cut but rationalization doesn’t improve the program. Talent does.
Damn, take a pill or something. Only a few apologists on this thread, but you seem to be calling out just about anyone not whining about Fran. Your posts are the opposite extreme. A little more balance...

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
It has been comical to read the responses from those who thought Iowa was ever in the mix for Carton. Win and don't be a mediocre program Fran. You just got schooled by a program that was a dumpster fire with their version of you (coach kept too long who couldn't manage a roster) and is now benefiting from making a better hire. This is a concept lost on many in this forum. Keep Fran for life because he isn't Lickliter.

Carton this time, but it will be some other kid next etc. Fran can't recruit at this level and last year put Iowa much closer to the Lickliter years than anything resembling the regional powerhouse Fran talked about building. Again, see the impact of coaching changes at OSU, IU and countless other programs. No guarantees, but keeping Fran guarantees no NCAA appearances.

Is there a single poster here that is even overly supportive of Fran, let alone wants to keep him for life?

It has been comical to read the responses from those who thought Iowa was ever in the mix for Carton. Win and don't be a mediocre program Fran. You just got schooled by a program that was a dumpster fire with their version of you (coach kept too long who couldn't manage a roster) and is now benefiting from making a better hire. This is a concept lost on many in this forum. Keep Fran for life because he isn't Lickliter.

Carton this time, but it will be some other kid next etc. Fran can't recruit at this level and last year put Iowa much closer to the Lickliter years than anything resembling the regional powerhouse Fran talked about building. Again, see the impact of coaching changes at OSU, IU and countless other programs. No guarantees, but keeping Fran guarantees no NCAA appearances.

Thad Matta and OSU were a dumpster fire? Damn would I love to be burning in that dumpster. NCAA tourney 9 out of 10 years, 7 straight. Followed by a bubble (11-7 conference and a poor season (7-11 conference). That isn't a dumpster fire, nor is Fran, but holy moly I'd rather have OSU version of it.

Damn, take a pill or something. Only a few apologists on this thread, but you seem to be calling out just about anyone not whining about Fran. Your posts are the opposite extreme. A little more balance...

Many have been rationalizing unacceptable performance for a long time. He wasn’t a native Iowan. His grandpa was a walkon. Hahahaha. Come on man...

What’s the “balance”?

We land foster, I’m good. Or we land a pg 60% as good as Carton, still good.

Balanced enough for you?

Last edited:
I'm confused. When Marcus Paige snubbed an Iowa program that was possibly the worst in the country to go to NC where he almost won a Natty, he was stomped on this board. People are seeming to be a lot more understanding this time.

Best of luck to Carton. It's hard to be overly critical of his choice. I hope he does well, just not too well against the Hawks.

Many have been rationalizing unacceptable performance for a long time. He wasn’t a native Iowan. His grandpa was a walkon. Hahahaha. Come on man...

What’s the “balance”?

We land foster, I’m good. Or we land a pg 60% as good as Carton, still good.

Balanced enough for you?
I am pretty much with you that Fran needs to land the top kids in Iowa, and a good PG. I wish he had identified at least a grad transfer, like Mooney? from South Dakota, to get us some toughness and ball handling for the upcoming year, but Fran seems to have only one way to recruit. I believe that last year's dumpster fire makes this year pivotal for his program, so there better be some break through seasons coming from the players he has.

Reactions: Raptorpeeps
How would you change the recruitment style of Carton or similar players? In my mind, it’s simple and nothing to do with the recruiting process. Just win more.
I'm not really sure what you do but if you can't sell your program to a kid who grew up in your own backyard you need to change your approach some how.

Nebraska fb and Indiana bb are nothing like they once were reputation wise, to say they are is just dumb

Your hate has loosened your grip on reality.

Ask 10000 random people around the nation to list the top 10 all time college football and basketball programs. You don’t think Nebraska and Indiana make those respective lists?

I know one thing for sure — Iowa makes neither list and it wouldn’t be close.

Last edited:

Ask 10000 random people around the nation to list the top 10 all time college football and basketball programs. You don’t think Nebraska and Indiana make those respective lists?

If the people are under 25 years old, they would not think Nebraska or Indiana are top 10 programs. Nebraska hasn't been a top 30 team in FB over the past decade or two. IU has been up and down during the same period, and wouldn't be in the top 20. They both have incredible fan bases, who expect championships and alumni who pay what it takes to make it possible.

If the people are under 25 years old, they would not think Nebraska or Indiana are top 10 programs. Nebraska hasn't been a top 30 team in FB over the past decade or two. IU has been up and down during the same period, and wouldn't be in the top 20. They both have incredible fan bases, who expect championships and alumni who pay what it takes to make it possible.

Nonsense. When I was 20, Notre Dame sucked but I still knew that they were historically one of the country’s power programs. Nebraska is one of ten schools that have won more than 800 games (almost 900).

Same with IU, 5 National Championships. One of the top rated programs of all time in terms of winning percentage. Just won conference titles in 2016 and 2013. People know.

Well lookie there: https://m.ranker.com/crowdranked-list/best-college-basketball-schools

IU #8. Must be all old people voting online.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...balls-10-greatest-programs-of-all-time#slide6

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...top-100-college-basketball-programs/99793618/
IU #6 all time.
https://fansided.com/2014/10/21/75-greatest-college-basketball-programs-time-statistically-ranked/8/

https://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/best-college-basketball-schools-in-the-country.html/

https://collegefootball.ap.org/top-100

Nebraska #6 all time

https://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/ranking-the-greatest-college-football-programs-of-all-time.html/

https://fansided.com/2014/10/18/50-greatest-college-football-programs-time-statistically-ranked/

Last edited:
Reactions: St_Henry_Buckeye
If you're talking "what have you done for me lately" then nebby and the hoosiers aren't impressive.
But all time in FB and BB, respectively, they are of course among the top 10 programs.

And both have great young coaches who can recruit very well.

Nonsense. When I was 20, Notre Dame sucked but I still knew that they were historically one of the country’s power programs. Nebraska is one of ten schools that have won more than 800 games (almost 900).

Same with IU, 5 National Championships. One of the top rated programs of all time in terms of winning percentage. Just won conference titles in 2016 and 2013. People know.

Well lookie there: https://m.ranker.com/crowdranked-list/best-college-basketball-schools

IU #8. Must be all old people voting online.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...balls-10-greatest-programs-of-all-time#slide6

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...top-100-college-basketball-programs/99793618/
IU #6 all time.
https://fansided.com/2014/10/21/75-greatest-college-basketball-programs-time-statistically-ranked/8/

https://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/best-college-basketball-schools-in-the-country.html/

https://collegefootball.ap.org/top-100

Nebraska #6 all time

https://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/ranking-the-greatest-college-football-programs-of-all-time.html/

https://fansided.com/2014/10/18/50-greatest-college-football-programs-time-statistically-ranked/
Did I say that Nebraska was not a top 10 all-time team in FB or that IU isn't a top 10 team all time in BB? Nope. I just pointed out that they haven't been close over the past couple of decades, although IU has had a couple of good years. I don't think that a lot of the kids know history, but they can see fan support and enthusiasm for the program. Iowa hasn't had great fan support in BB in most of these kid's lifetimes.

Reactions: Kurt Warner
Fran found his sweet spot at Siena. Fans were thrilled just to make the NCAA tournament and nobody really cared about his demeanor because no national press was ever watching. He could be as arrogant and unhinged as he wanted.

Missing on instate talent was never an issue because it was just assumed that any big talent was going high D1 anyway. The coaches he faced were no doubt good but they weren’t the collection of highly paid assassins (all with highly paid striver staffs) like you face in the B1G.

He’s pretty much held his own in the B1G but he’s under a lot of pressure to move the program forward after 8 years. Having two sons on scholarship while 4 and 5 star in-state kids go elsewhere is not going to ease that pressure. In my opinion, that was a Siena-level move that he ultimately might not get away with at Iowa.

This season and next will be very interesting.

Last edited:

Sorry I have no massive hate for either nebraska or Indiana, do i love them, no. Granted they are considered blue bloods of all time but neither have acted like a blue blood the last 25 years or so.

Sorry I have no massive hate for either nebraska or Indiana, do i love them, no. Granted they are considered blue bloods of all time but neither have acted like a blue blood the last 25 years or so.

I think “blue blood” is a vague and amorphous term coined by some half wit sports writer (but I repeat myself). It’s useless except for starting arguments because everyone’s definition is different.

Is there a single poster here that is even overly supportive of Fran, let alone wants to keep him for life?

How do you fire a coach when he has 1-2 kids on the team? Fran is here until PMac graduates. Do you think his recruiting is going to get exponentially better in the next 5-6 years? Programs are either ascending or descending and that affects recruiting. Fran can "offer" all these 4-5 star kids which is great for optics, but those kids will make the same choice Carton did because they want to win not be the Bad News Bears of the B1G.

By now Fran should be showing us (the shrinking hoops fan base) that he has learned something in his 8 years here: guard play matters, Iowa isn't an elite program, juco / graduate transfers are necessary, but he continues to double down on positionless basketball and below average athletes.

Reactions: CyberJJ
Thad Matta and OSU were a dumpster fire? Damn would I love to be burning in that dumpster. NCAA tourney 9 out of 10 years, 7 straight. Followed by a bubble (11-7 conference and a poor season (7-11 conference). That isn't a dumpster fire, nor is Fran, but holy moly I'd rather have OSU version of it.

Good point and I agree. OSU has expectations. Iowa does not. As long as Fran keeps the team GPA up and we don't have any moped flag violations committed by hoops players, all is good at the U. I am still waiting for Fran's tenure to pay dividends vs. look like a bad car lease.

Reactions: Raptorpeeps
Great post, Ihawkhoops.

Nobody really wants to touch the topic with a barge pole, but unless his sons are bona fide stars (they aren’t and won’t be), that situation is going to be an overall negative for the program. And I say this fully acknowledging that both are probably great kids.

From a recruiting perspective, it’s too easy to use against us...for the next four years (ouch).

From a team chenistry/dynamic perspective, there’s too much potential for perceived conflicts of interest. Same thing from a fan perspective. Woe to Fran and his sons when one or both of them underperform yet still get more minutes than the typical ass scratchers from Dubuque and Mason City etc. thinks they should. Won’t be pretty...

Like I said in an earlier post, this is a situation he could have pulled off at Siena but I think it might not work out at a place like Iowa.

Time will tell.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ihawkhoops
Young coach.

MONSTER athletic programs. Few schools in the country can compare in terms of resources available to athletes.

Basketball is most definitely second fiddle though.

A bit surprised that he didn’t pick Michigan or IU but he’ll do well there.

Let’s face it. The ceiling at any of those three schools is higher than at Iowa. Just the way it is.

This is a comparably sleepy program. Something has to change.

I agree completely but I swear you were the guy posting that Carton was for sure going to Iowa not too long ago.

Both are still in the top tier of reputation in their respective sports.

To say either is not is just dumb.

How do you figure that?

I remember an ESPN poll a few years back presenting a map of all the states who voted Nebraska was still a blue blood in football. Guess what? The map looked like Walter Mondale's map in 1984. Only the home state voted "aye." You think it would be much different if they conducted a similar poll for Indiana basketball? I doubt it.

If you want to look at it from an overall, all-time perspective, then yes, Indiana would be considered one of the best college basketball programs of all time. But that's not we're talking about here. We're talking modern era. An era in which Wisconsin basketball has been more relevant than Indiana.

How do you figure that?

I remember an ESPN poll a few years back presenting a map of all the states who voted Nebraska was still a blue blood in football. Guess what? The map looked like Walter Mondale's map in 1984. Only the home state voted "aye." You think it would be much different if they conducted a similar poll for Indiana basketball? I doubt it.

If you want to look at it from an overall, all-time perspective, then yes, Indiana would be considered one of the best college basketball programs of all time. But that's not we're talking about here. We're talking modern era. An era in which Wisconsin basketball has been more relevant than Indiana.

Jeezus, dude. Read what I wrote including links before you embarrass yourself asking “How do you figure..?”

That Ranker site, for example is a real time polling site. Could it be any more clear?

FFS...

Jeezus, dude. Read what I wrote including links before you embarrass yourself asking “How do you figure..?”

That Ranker site, for example is a real time polling site. Could it be any more clear?

FFS...

1. You obviously think very highly of yourself. You shouldn't. You're not that smart.

2. You go to extraordinary lengths on an anonymous message board to prove a point and belittle others. Another hobby might be more therapeutic for you, especially considering how accurate you were with your Carton prediction not too long ago. Now, you just seem butthurt. Perhaps you should consider meditating with your niece.

3. Go back and reread my post, where I agree with you that Indiana is one of the all-time greats in college basketball, then post again about who has reading comprehension issues. And, as you rightly point out in one of your other meaningful contributions to this thread, "blue blood" is a nebulous term in college sports. If we are talking current status in college basketball, then please provide evidence that Indiana is currently on par with the Dukes, UNCs, etc. of the world. In football, Minnesota has many national championships, the last one I believe occurring in 1960. Does that make them relevant today? Does Indiana basketball's last championship in 1987 make them more relevant? I guess it depends who you ask.

4. Get the f#ck over yourself.

Last edited:
1. You obviously think very highly of yourself. You shouldn't. You're not that smart.

2. You go to extraordinary lengths on an anonymous message board to prove a point and belittle others. Another hobby might be more therapeutic for you, especially considering how accurate you were with your Carton prediction not too long ago. Now, you just seem butthurt. Perhaps you should consider meditating with your niece.

3. Go back and reread my post, where I agree with you that Indiana is one of the all-time greats in college basketball, then post again about who has reading comprehension issues. And, as you rightly point out in one of your other meaningful contributions to this thread, "blue blood" is a nebulous term in college sports. If we are talking current status in college basketball, then please provide evidence that Indiana is currently on par with the Dukes, UNCs, etc. of the world. In football, Minnesota has many national championships, the last one I believe occurring in 1960. Does that make them relevant today? Does Indiana basketball's last championship in 1987 make them more relevant? I guess it depends who you ask.

4. Get the f#ck over yourself.

Good Lord...

Quit while you’re behind.

Carton is gone time to move on. I want Fran to stay here for a long time so I hope we get a point guard for 2019 or he may not make it through 3 straight awful years...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT