ADVERTISEMENT

Gable sighting

lookleft goright

HR All-American
Jan 21, 2012
They had a tournament and are having a spaghetti dinner and raffle for TJ Williams' son Aiden today. (He is battling some form of cancer) Gable came down and signed autographs and gave a short speech. For a moment we all felt like our lives had purpose and meaning and we could change the world for the better. That was a great moment and Gable is a great man!

It was such a remarkable day today that I sat down and put some ideas to paper. I wanted to share with you guys on this sight. I hope you enjoy.

EVERYDAY LIFE STORIES

5/11/18

Aidan is the son of a wrestler and he has been diagnosed with cancer. Today they held a wrestling tournament for him and had a spaghetti dinner and a silent raffle to raise money for the family.

Things like this probably happen all the time around the country and they are probably all as special as this one. However, Aiden father was a wrestler for the famous Dan Gable. Dan Gable does not turn his back on one of his wrestlers and he is always willing to lend a hand.

So low and behold, one of the biggest if not the biggest name in wrestling shows up today at the tournament to sign autographs and talk to people and he even gives a speech to the kids wrestling.

Now if you did not know who Gable was, you would walk right past him. He wears loose jackets and pants and a baseball hat. He does nothing to stand out in a crowd. But the people who have wrestled for him and know him see him as something just shy of a God. That respect he receives along with the humility he brings really makes him a hero.

Today Gable talked about how so many of the kids at the tournament were brought here by someone who is a mentor. He talked about the importance of being mentored by good people and how it affects you. He talked about how the kids there are being groomed to become better people so they can go out and help others in the world.

It was a different message and delivered in the almost punch drunk way Dan Gable delivers his message. If he was not so darn sincere and kind hearted with the absolute inner warrior mentality, you would stare into space be able to dismiss what he says.

He shared how when he was 15 his sister was murdered in his own home and had he not been surrounded by such great teachers and mentors, he would not have been able to help hold his family together. He said it fell upon the shoulders of a 15 year old to do that. He did not complain. He seemed glad that he was able to help. He gave the credit to the people in his life who showed him how to do the right thing and be a good person. Being a good person is something that you have to do all the time. Not just for a few days, but as much as you can.

It was hard to tell what the biggest factor in making the day so wonderful was. This great man coming to inspire a bunch of kids (2-300 of them) and the adults in the crowd. The fact that so many people donated food, t shirts, bracelets to be sold, the officials donated their time and a group of kids came from Texas –(yeah Texas to bufu Egypt middle of Illinois) for an afternoon of wrestling to support this kid.

People just wanted to help. The crazy thing was, what could they do. The kids wrestled. That is all they could do? The parents coached and wiped away tears and hugged smiling and crying kids. But there was a joy and happiness in the air that only comes from giving. A joy that only comes from loving and wanting to help. A joy that only comes from being a part of something bigger than you are. Everyone was a small part of the day, and everyone was happy to be a part of the day.

Gable’s message gave us the feeling that we were important. It gave us the feeling that each of us could make a difference. Each of us have something to contribute to the world and to those around us. Aidan helped many people learn that simple acts of love and kindness are possible and they make everyone better for it. And I would be willing to bet, he does not even know it.

No one knows for sure what the future holds for Aidan or any of us for that matter. But today, held love and hope and a sense of belonging. Today was a good day.

Last edited:
It was such a remarkable day today that I sat down and put some ideas to paper. I wanted to share with you guys on this sight. I hope you enjoy.

EVERYDAY LIFE STORIES

5/11/18

Aidan is the son of a wrestler and he has been diagnosed with cancer. Today they held a wrestling tournament for him and had a spaghetti dinner and a silent raffle to raise money for the family.

Things like this probably happen all the time around the country and they are probably all as special as this one. However, Aiden father was a wrestler for the famous Dan Gable. Dan Gable does not turn his back on one of his wrestlers and he is always willing to lend a hand.

So low and behold, one of the biggest if not the biggest name in wrestling shows up today at the tournament to sign autographs and talk to people and he even gives a speech to the kids wrestling.

Now if you did not know who Gable was, you would walk right past him. He wears loose jackets and pants and a baseball hat. He does nothing to stand out in a crowd. But the people who have wrestled for him and know him see him as something just shy of a God. That respect he receives along with the humility he brings really makes him a hero.

Today Gable talked about how so many of the kids at the tournament were brought here by someone who is a mentor. He talked about the importance of being mentored by good people and how it affects you. He talked about how the kids there are being groomed to become better people so they can go out and help others in the world.

It was a different message and delivered in the almost punch drunk way Dan Gable delivers his message. If he was not so darn sincere and kind hearted with the absolute inner warrior mentality, you would stare into space be able to dismiss what he says.

He shared how when he was 15 his sister was murdered in his own home and had he not been surrounded by such great teachers and mentors, he would not have been able to help hold his family together. He said it fell upon the shoulders of a 15 year old to do that. He did not complain. He seemed glad that he was able to help. He gave the credit to the people in his life who showed him how to do the right thing and be a good person. Being a good person is something that you have to do all the time. Not just for a few days, but as much as you can.

It was hard to tell what the biggest factor in making the day so wonderful was. This great man coming to inspire a bunch of kids (2-300 of them) and the adults in the crowd. The fact that so many people donated food, t shirts, bracelets to be sold, the officials donated their time and a group of kids came from Texas –(yeah Texas to bufu Egypt middle of Illinois) for an afternoon of wrestling to support this kid.

People just wanted to help. The crazy thing was, what could they do. The kids wrestled. That is all they could do? The parents coached and wiped away tears and hugged smiling and crying kids. But there was a joy and happiness in the air that only comes from giving. A joy that only comes from loving and wanting to help. A joy that only comes from being a part of something bigger than you are. Everyone was a small part of the day, and everyone was happy to be a part of the day.

Gable’s message gave us the feeling that we were important. It gave us the feeling that each of us could make a difference. Each of us have something to contribute to the world and to those around us. Aidan helped many people learn that simple acts of love and kindness are possible and they make everyone better for it. And I would be willing to bet, he does not even know it.

No one knows for sure what the future holds for Aidan or any of us for that matter. But today, held love and hope and a sense of belonging. Today was a good day.
Not much to add other than if there is a Zeus of wrestling, Gable is it.... enough said. The impact very few people like him have on many is incredible. Just his mere presence says a lot. For him to comment in such a way is incredibly powerful!

Reactions: lookleft goright
Hard to believe Gable Streiberson is that popular in Iowa. Good for him.

Of course I kid. I like reading stories of famous people lending their names and time to causes like this. Makes you realize that it goes well beyond the wrestling mat.
You could donate $$$ to this great cause???

You could donate $$$ to this great cause???
I donated to GG121AND2's cause the other day and ANDEGRE's a week ago and the PSWC a week before that. There are a lot of great causes out there, and I can't donate to them all even if I would like to. There's a lot of sadness and greatness out there. I made my comment about Gable because it is easy to donate money. Donating time is much more precious to me, and I honor that with words when I see it. Same with what GG121AND2 does. I am thankful people like him exist, and it makes me want to help them in the only way possible for me.

Tried finding an article about Gable showing up to a school's golf outing/fund raiser. It was during Fargos. He heard a local program was on the rise and showed up unannounced. Was in the Fargo Forum. Out of the blue Gable shows up.

Some of his Quotes from wiki:
"Once you've wrestled, everything else in life is easy.

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts.

The 1st period is won by the best technician. The 2nd period is won by the kid in the best shape. The 3rd period is won by the kid with the biggest heart."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT