ADVERTISEMENT

Gable Steveson is going to be the new crowd favorite

Feb 8, 2006
He is really good!

But, he only did one thing in that match.

After that all he did was club White in the head and ears the rest of the match.

He may win 4 titles, BUT he will be the villain everywhere he goes.

He is the NBA in s lunch pail sport. He will come across as a showboat (appropriately so) and people will relish his failures when they happen as he will thoroughly enjoy and rub it in, his victories over his opponents.

It will be interesting to see how he reacts to getting beat (if that happens).

You just wish kids like that could just act like they had been there and done that before.

We all know he is good!

He is really good!

But, he only did one thing in that match.

After that all he did was club White in the head and ears the rest of the match.

He may win 4 titles, BUT he will be the villain everywhere he goes.

He is the NBA in s lunch pail sport. He will come across as a showboat (appropriately so) and people will relish his failures when they happen as he will thoroughly enjoy and rub it in, his victories over his opponents.

It will be interesting to see how he reacts to getting beat (if that happens).

You just wish kids like that could just act like they had been there and done that before.

We all know he is good!
He will get beat And it would not surprise me if he falls way short of 4 titles

To win 4 titles you have to be eligible and in college for 4 years. I’ll dance around like that if he is...

Never one to root against a kid but I’m guessing the redshirt was pulled so UMinn can get as much out of him as possible before the ride ends...for whatever reason.

That being said, he is damn good.

Reactions: bman546
He will be Kirk's bitch in a few years, imo.
Care to make a wager? If Kerk beats Gable when they wrestle I’ll donate to HWC if Gable wins you have to donate to whatever ISU’s club is ;)

I agree with the original poster... act like you’ve been there before. I’m a little old school and didn’t really care for his antics. He’s young hopefully the coaches rein him in.

He was celebrating and pounding his chest, screaming “this is my house,” all the while his team just lost the dual. SMDH. Thank God we have Spencer Lee.

A young man’s exuberance first time in front of his own crowd I guess. Had he pinned him, and he was close, I could have seen something like that but this was on the tail end of an anti climatic win where he wasn’t really in danger at all.

He seriously did that? For real???
I actually had no problem with him pounding his chest after beating the number 3 guy. What I did have a problem with is the Mohamed Ali type foot shuffle in the third. Not only was it wrong but at that point he had done nothing special for the last 5 minutes of the match , and the shuffle looked terrible like he had lead blocks on his feet.

He was celebrating and pounding his chest, screaming “this is my house,” all the while his team just lost the dual. SMDH. Thank God we have Spencer Lee.
Don’t forget the foot shuffle it was the worse part if your going to do something like that it must be timed correctly and actually move your feet.
I would take Spencer every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

I don’t mind kids showing some flare when they have a big win for the team helping them win a big dual.

Steveson might not ever have that chance so maybe we should cut him some slack?

I am the same way, I actually like celebrating and letting guys be themselves. The foot shuffle didn’t bother me but the chest slapping and saying this is my house while the rest of the team is going to shake hands after a beating seems strange.

Either way, he was excited and the kid is going to be problems for people at the weight. Love him or hate him, people will watch him. There is something to be said for a good heel in sports.

An 18 year old kid just had his redshirt pulled, dominated the #3 ranked wrestler in the country, in front of his home crowd. If you’re angry he celebrated, you have issues.
IF someone doesnt like his krap, why would that mean they have issues? Its an opinion thats not far fetched at all. Maybe you need to look in a mirror when it comes to issues

I don’t think folks are upset simply because he celebrated, but the way he did it. Showing up ones opponent is disrespectful and inappropriate. I’m generally pretty fair and objective and had no opinion either way regarding Steveson prior to Sunday’s match. He’s obviously talented and could be great for the growth of the sport, but in my mind, he came across as an arrogant showboat that needs to be humbled. Certainly, given the circumstances surrounding the event it’s absolutely reasonable for him to be excited and celebrate. But do it with a little bit of class and without disrespecting those who are worthy of respect. He’s an 18 year old kid, so I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt, but it didn’t look good.

IF someone doesnt like his krap, why would that mean they have issues? Its an opinion thats not far fetched at all. Maybe you need to look in a mirror when it comes to issues
Actually it is far fetched. Tell me what is wrong with an 18 yo kid taking 10 seconds to celebrate a big victory.

Reactions: Unlimited424
I don’t think folks are upset simply because he celebrated, but the way he did it. Showing up ones opponent is disrespectful and inappropriate. I’m generally pretty fair and objective and had no opinion either way regarding Steveson prior to Sunday’s match. He’s obviously talented and could be great for the growth of the sport, but in my mind, he came across as an arrogant showboat that needs to be humbled. Certainly, given the circumstances surrounding the event it’s absolutely reasonable for him to be excited and celebrate. But do it with a little bit of class and without disrespecting those who are worthy of respect. He’s an 18 year old kid, so I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt, but it didn’t look good.
How about sitting directly over top of an unranked opponent that you just pinned and flexing and clapping over them? One could certainly make the case that is far more disrespectful to an opponent than what Gable did. And far more unjustified because that person has actually been there before and the win was of absolutely zero significance.

Just to be clear, I think both are fine.

To win 4 titles you have to be eligible and in college for 4 years. I’ll dance around like that if he is...

Never one to root against a kid but I’m guessing the redshirt was pulled so UMinn can get as much out of him as possible before the ride ends...for whatever reason.

That being said, he is damn good.
You eat a lot of stupid.

Reactions: PapaBearSLIM
You people are funny. Yall supported Gilman's antics...and at the end of the show he always lost.

d12.jpg

I don’t think either are appropriate. With that said, there is a difference between the two cases. Gable’s antics were on display throughout the match. What he did was premeditated and done with the intent to show up/embarrass an opponent. In the other case, it was an impulsive instantaneous reaction. While still not acceptable, it was far less egregious than Gable’s behavior. And I’m far from the type to have a puritanical view on the subject, but for me it’s simply a matter of being a decent human being. Treating people with respect and common decency is non negotiable in this sport. I’m all about winning and having fun, but have a little class in doing so. Treat people with respect. Don’t make it all about you. Especially when your team just got blown out of the building. But I guess it’s his prerogative if he wants to look like a clown.

Last edited:
I don’t think either are appropriate. With that said, there is a difference between the two cases. Gable’s antics were on display throughout the match. What he did was premeditated and done with the intent to show up/embarrass an opponent. In the other case, it was an impulsive instantaneous reaction. While still not acceptable, it was far less egregious than Gable’s behavior. And I’m far from the type to have a puritanical view on the subject, but for me it’s simply a matter of being a decent human being. Treating people with respect and common decency is non negotiable in this sport. I’m all about winning and having fun, but have a little class in doing so. Treat people with respect. Don’t make it all about you. Especially when your team just got blown out of the building. But I guess it’s his prerogative if he wants to look like a clown.
Amazing that you know the intent of both wrestlers. You must have good connections.

Being a condescending prick doesn’t add to your argument. The evidence is there for any objective and reasonable person to examine. Gable’s actions make it very clear he was trying to embarrass his opponent. That was his purpose. I don’t need to have a conversation with him or have “connections” to arrive at that conclusion. It was evident. Similarly, if someone walked up to me and punched me in the face, I’m pretty sure I could figure out with relative ease what his intention was.

Being a condescending prick doesn’t add to your argument. The evidence is there for any objective and reasonable person to examine. Gable’s actions make it very clear he was trying to embarrass his opponent. That was his purpose. I don’t need to have a conversation with him or have “connections” to arrive at that conclusion. It was evident. Similarly, if someone walked up to me and punched me in the face, I’m pretty sure I could figure out with relative ease what his intention was.
How do you feel about Gilman's antics? LOL

Reactions: Unlimited424
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT