ADVERTISEMENT

Gable Steveson is going to be the new crowd favorite

Here's to hoping fellow MN Native, Kirkvliet can pack on some muscle and weight, as well as, progresses ten fold once he is in the room with the likes of Dlagnev, Snyder and Kollin Moore. It won't surprise me if Kirk starts beating him in a couple of years.

Reactions: Huck and MitchL
Keep referring to 18 year olds as kids, then don't be surprised that's how they'll act.

I haven't seen the video, the chest slapping doesn't bother me, but the foot shuffle sounds dumb. Either way, wrestling needs more entertainment, so I'm ok with it.

I did not like the actions of Gable last night but wow, the animosity some of you guys have for him already after one match is unreal. If he beats stoll this year I'm going to grab my popcorn. I guess villains are good for message board banter.

Reading is hard... first line pal. no deflecting, I would much rather have him act like he's been there before.

must be minny clown day, i love how they justify their guys behavior by deflecting.
Gable won. You would love to have him on your mat. I liked his attitude. Your man got shot in the knee! Blows out his knee, and has a cocky "morning stroll with stoll." LOL. Going to be funny town around here when Gable wrecks Stoll.

I watched the whole match and it was more than just a little foot fire and chest slap. He danced around like Ali a couple times, clapped his hands in the middle of the match during live action, pointed his opponent back to the center, and then came the ridiculous chest-pounding “my house” nonsense while charading around the mat when his team just got curb-stomped. It was weird and I guess you could chalk it up to excitement and immaturity. I think it’s probably just the tip of the iceberg given it’s his debut, but hope I’m wrong. I Hope Stoll plants him, places his ankle bands neatly on the line and trots back to the locker room like it’s just another morning stroll.

I watched the whole match and it was more than just a little foot fire and chest slap. He danced around like Ali a couple times, clapped his hands in the middle of the match during live action, pointed his opponent back to the center, and then came the ridiculous chest-pounding “my house” nonsense while charading around the mat when his team just got curb-stomped. It was weird and I guess you could chalk it up to excitement and immaturity. I think it’s probably just the tip of the iceberg given it’s his debut, but hope I’m wrong. I Hope Stoll plants him, places his ankle bands neatly on the line and trots back to the locker room like it’s just another morning stroll.
Wouldn’t mind a nice facemush though

It’s a very millennial attitude. The all about me generation. I’ve got no issues with athletes celebrating after a big win, but celebrating yourself when your team loses, is weak. It’s like all the dancing in the NFL by the players on the losing team when they make a play. Bush league.

Last edited:
It’s a very millennial attitude. The all about me generation. I’ve got no issues with athletes that celebrating after a big win, but celebrating yourself when your team loses, is weak. It’s like all the dancing in the NFL by the players on the losing team when they make a play. Bush league.

Precisely. It’s all about self promotion. If you truly excell at something there’s no need to tell everyone about it. If you’re great, they’ll do it for you.

Reactions: so cal hawkfan
Don’t forget the foot shuffle it was the worse part if your going to do something like that it must be timed correctly and actually move your feet.
I would take Spencer every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Spencer has class. Unlike Gable apparently.

If I remember rightly he lost to Bresser and then med forf out of Midlands.

Over here trolling Jammenz? Glad to see you are still alive and kicking...hadn’t seen you around in awhile :) OSU made Minne look like the caricature of...OSU. OSU was pushing the pace, going forward while your guys were <truckbackingup.wav> Well at least you have Nebraska. Oh wait...didn’t Wisconsin just beat them?

Reactions: minnhawkeye
It’s a very millennial attitude. The all about me generation. I’ve got no issues with athletes that celebrating after a big win, but celebrating yourself when your team loses, is weak. It’s like all the dancing in the NFL by the players on the losing team when they make a play. Bush league.

Whoa whoa whoa. Gable isn’t a millennial, he is Generation Z.

Stevenson is a very talented guy. Gonna win a lot of big matches. But he's about as arrogant as they come and has been for quite awhile. He's over the top and very full of himself. He's all about "look at me" and he wants the attention & doesn't give a rats @ss about the team. Funny thing is goofer fans are standing in line to stroke him off & defend his arrogance.

I like Gilman, but personally don’t care for everything he said or did. I don’t speak for anyone except me, but I would rather watch guys tear their opponents heads off, then be absolute gentlemen after. “Deeds not Words.”
I love Gillman, but I gotta agree. Talk Soft / Big Stick, just like Spencer.

Stevenson is a very talented guy. Gonna win a lot of big matches. But he's about as arrogant as they come and has been for quite awhile. He's over the top and very full of himself. He's all about "look at me" and he wants the attention & doesn't give a rats @ss about the team. Funny thing is goofer fans are standing in line to stroke him off & defend his arrogance.
Can we get a picture of Jammenz in that line? ;)

Actually it is far fetched. Tell me what is wrong with an 18 yo kid taking 10 seconds to celebrate a big victory.
Hope he has the same attitude as you when it goes the other way for him. Color me skeptical. Its all fine and dandy until the other guy is the jackass.

Reactions: Grip220
I don't really care one way or another on this stuff, but can you blame Goof fans? What else would they have to get excited about if not Gable?

Gable won. You would love to have him on your mat. I liked his attitude. Your man got shot in the knee! Blows out his knee, and has a cocky "morning stroll with stoll." LOL. Going to be funny town around here when Gable wrecks Stoll.

I’d recruit Cass over Gable 10/10 times... Please, and I’m begging you here.... PLEASE keep believing Cass doesn’t belong in the conversation with Gable.

I’d recruit Cass over Gable 10/10 times... Please, and I’m begging you here.... PLEASE keep believing Cass doesn’t belong in the conversation with Gable.
Question for you and no I'm not trolling. What has Cass done that you are so sure he'll beat Gable? They have wrestled twice in the last 6-7 months and there have been no signs of him gaining on GS. As far as 10/10 recruiting, if you just don't like the attitude I could see it but something tells me if Gable would have picked Iowa you would be loving it.

GS was a huge dbag after he won his 4th hs title. Huge.

Cartwheel to a flip to banging his chest and yelling to the crowd to tossing his headgear up to his coaches. Dbag.

Question for you and no I'm not trolling. What has Cass done that you are so sure he'll beat Gable? They have wrestled twice in the last 6-7 months and there have been no signs of him gaining on GS. As far as 10/10 recruiting, if you just don't like the attitude I could see it but something tells me if Gable would have picked Iowa you would be loving it.

With 20/20 hindsight... Zero chance. And I’m not sure, I’m just very confident that Big Cass will close the gap more than significantly by next season based mostly on Cass’ extremely rapid development and the room he still has to improve technically and mature physically... Sky is the limit for him.

Do you root for Gilman
GS was a huge dbag after he won his 4th hs title. Huge.

Cartwheel to a flip to banging his chest and yelling to the crowd to tossing his headgear up to his coaches. Dbag.
He's almost a big of showboat as Gilman. Of course you can't see that because you are a dbag.

Do you root for Gilman

He's almost a big of showboat as Gilman. Of course you can't see that because you are a dbag.
I don't agree with disparaging Steveson for actin' a bit of a fool while celebrating, meh on the whole situation, but saying "Oh your opinion on the situation doesn't matter because you cheered for Gilman" is really flawed logic.

Does that also automatically disqualify the opinions of fans of any team who has had a wrestler that has acted brash, talked brash, celebrated brashly etc.. because they cheered for it on their team and booed it on opposing teams? Thats sports fans for ya bud. Steveson is cocky and he's going to flaunt being the star at Minnesota so get used to opposing fans talking down on him.

Also, for the most part Gilman was all business when he was on the mat, and always humble in defeat (save for maybe the Waters match at National Duals). His notoriety came from his face mushing, brash interviews, Minnesota huddle busting, the Alan Waters slam, or talking smack to Okie State during the post dual handshake. Gilman would never do that silly little Ali shuffle on someone in a wrestling match. His celebrations were double thumbs up to the carver crowd/ Iowa crowd.

ADVERTISEMENT