ADVERTISEMENT

Gaetz urges Trump to announce 2024 White House bid tonight

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
I actually think this would energize Democrats!:

Former president Donald Trump is widely expected to announce another White House bid shortly after the midterm elections conclude. But at least one Republican congressman — and staunch Trump ally — is urging the president not to wait.
In a tweet, Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.) said Trump should announce Monday night. The former president has a rally scheduled in Ohio to boost the Senate candidacy of Republican J.D. Vance.
“Trump should announce tonight,” Gaetz said. “His candidates won the primaries. Biden’s central message was the ‘ULTRA MAGA’ scare. And we are going to win BIGLY! Trump deserves all the credit for this wave election & announcing tonight he will seize it.”
In recent months, President Biden has frequently invoked “MAGA” — short for Trump’s slogan, “Make America Great Again” — in arguing that the GOP has been taken over by extremists in the hold of his predecessor.

Former president Donald Trump set off a scramble Monday in the Republican Party after he threatened to upend the midterm elections by announcing his 2024 presidential bid on the eve of voting.
Trump told people close to him Monday that he might announce his candidacy at a rally scheduled for Monday night in Ohio, according to three people familiar with the discussions who spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe confidential conversations, prompting a chain of phone calls from party leaders who have tried for months to keep him from announcing until after the midterms. Some of his advisers began communicating to others Monday that efforts needed to be made to talk him out of announcing, two of these people said, while other advisers were egging him on to jump in.

It remained unclear Monday afternoon what he would do. Trump is known for attempts to build suspense, and he often vacillates on decisions after taking significant input from advisers. He also likes to float different theories and different plans to different advisers.

ADVERTISING

Party leaders fear he would gin up Democratic turnout, particularly in razor-thin Senate races where the control of the chamber is in the balance. But Trump has been determined in recent weeks to get credit for the midterm results should Republicans do well, and according to advisers, he has grown frustrated watching the large crowds and energy for Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, who he views as a threat for the 2024 nomination. He has also watched as some would-be rivals have grown increasingly aggressive about running in 2024, and wants to force people to support him, advisers say.
A Trump spokesman did not return calls seeking comment.

Trump has already publicly said everything short of officially announcing, promising at a rally Saturday that he’d announce “very, very, very soon.”

He is expected to throw a large party at Mar-a-Lago on Tuesday night as the results come in, said multiple advisers who spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe confidential conversations, and wants to make a public appearance.

As a conservative voter......I cannot express enough how depressed this announcement will make me when it freaking happens. It will ABSOLUTLY cause nothing but trouble. And I am sure the Dems would LOVE to see Trump announce, as he will ELECTRIFY their base, just like he did in 2020 when record numbers of Dems hit the polls. Give me ANYONE but him.

As a conservative voter......I cannot express enough how depressed this announcement will make me when it freaking happens. It will ABSOLUTLY cause nothing but trouble. And I am sure the Dems would LOVE to see Trump announce, as he will ELECTRIFY their base, just like he did in 2020 when record numbers of Dems hit the polls. Give me ANYONE but him.
Don't want him anywhere near a ballot. We all saw what Trump and the cult did last time. Do we think a 2024 election will be any different if not worse. The Republican leadership is incapable of standing up to him.

Don't want him anywhere near a ballot. We all saw what Trump and the cult did last time. Do we think a 2024 election will be any different if not worse. The Republican leadership is incapable of standing up to him.
That's exactly right. I don't know why Republicans think any other candidates will have a chance if Trump runs. He claims the 2020 election was rigged because he lost, does anyone think he will walk away quietly if he's not the Republican nominee? Of course he'll claim it was rigged as well.

That's exactly right. I don't know why Republicans think any other candidates will have a chance if Trump runs. He claims the 2020 election was rigged because he lost, does anyone think he will walk away quietly if he's not the Republican nominee? Of course he'll claim it was rigged as well.
Probably, but why would R's rig the vote against him in primaries?

If DeSantis runs, and Trump runs, Trump will have need to consider how to handle a loss in Florida.

Trump is just a big enough pain in the ass to do it and cost Republicans tomorrow. He already has hurt JD Vance in Ohio. He'll do whatever it takes to ruin others if he thinks it will make him look more powerful.
There's that, and there's also just plain spite and vindictiveness. Trump's the 2nd biggest narcissist on the planet.

Same. He is the worst human.

If DeSantis runs, and Trump runs, Trump will have need to consider how to handle a loss in Florida.
In my heart I truly believe if DeSantis ran he would beat Trump. But, it would ABSOLUTLY splinter the party. He just needs to fade into the background. But, that is NEVER going to happen at this point.

I don't think you can apply logic to Trump. If he loses don't be surprised if "tourists" disrupt the Republican convention.

I dont think I could agree more.

Reactions: Hawkman34

They can't stand up to him.. because the majority of their party is Trump fan boys. We've seen what standing against Trump results in. It is his party.

Gaetz and Trump are both scumbags of the lowest kind. Politicians in general are horrible people, but these two are ones that no reasonable people should tolerate.

trump is going to run and win the nomination. he will absolutely crush desantis. he is up like 70 points on him in early polls.

Give him the Jeb Bush treatment. Call him a pussy. Call his wife ugly. Say it "was a shame" she got sick. People will continue to cheer this behavior.

Reactions: cigaretteman
ADVERTISEMENT