ADVERTISEMENT

Game Notes & Two Deeps for Iowa vs. Michigan

What? Cooper DeJean is not QB1? ;)

If I were KF, I would have him listed at QB1, just to blow everyone's mind.... I mean, there have been inaccuracies on the depth chart before.... then tomorrow, he can say, "sorry about the typo...." ;)

• Haha
Reactions: desihawk
I hope Terry Roberts can be good to go for Saturday. Him not being on the 2-deeps is concerning and now we're starting to run out of experienced bodies. Has ANYONE heard of Jamison Heinz or TJ Hall? New names to me.

Reactions: dbrocket
Hall is a highly touted true fresh who has been playing special teams. Heinz is a walkon who plays on special teams. Remember, besides Roberts being out, Harris (projected starter) is out for the season and desfernandes is also currently out.

I hope Terry Roberts can be good to go for Saturday. Him not being on the 2-deeps is concerning and now we're starting to run out of experienced bodies. Has ANYONE heard of Jamison Heinz or TJ Hall? New names to me.
I've heard of TJ Hall but not Jamison Heinz. Is Jamison a walk-on?

Hall is a highly touted true fresh who has been playing special teams. Heinz is a walkon who plays on special teams. Remember, besides Roberts being out, Harris (projected starter) is out for the season and desfernandes is also currently out.
I thought I heard that about Harris. Do you know what the injury is. ?

Not having Roberts and Jacobs will be large if they cant go.

Also, B. Stevens has played really well imo so he needs that RG spot. I have been more impressed with Dunker than DeJong so I would flip those.

Roberts was a game time decision, showing he was close. The in-season depth chart is backwards-looking, so it reflects what Saturday was like.

I would wager that we see Roberts starting saturday. DeJean looked awesome behind him.

I didn't realize or forgot that Kaleb Johnson was committed to Cal for several months before flipping to Iowa.
Yup. That's one of the reasons why I am not worried about Kendrick at this time. If recruits are backing out in late November/December, then Iowa has problems.

Reactions: owenhawk
Not having Roberts and Jacobs will be large if they cant go.

Also, B. Stevens has played really well imo so he needs that RG spot. I have been more impressed with Dunker than DeJong so I would flip those.
Stephens? Trial by fire with that dude. Has had some complete whiffs for blocks.

Reactions: LIV4GOD
If I recall correctly from game thread we had Dunker/Elsbury in at guard on the lone touchdown drive. And the next drive we go back to DeJong/Stephens and go 3 and out.

Reactions: anon_b29nm7v7dwp6r
pretty disappointed Elsbury isn’t #1, we looked like a different line with him in there…also a bummer not to see KJ. Rough season for that kid.
Elsbury might be the starter. Charlie Brown thinks we get duped by the Monday depth chart too often.

Reactions: cmhawks99
Dang 7 seniors starting on defense. I hope we can develop some offense by next year. 😤
A lot of really good underclassmen on defense so the cupboard is not bare unless for some reason guys like JHarris and JJacobs never come back as well as before injuries which would be a bummer for them.

A lot of really good underclassmen on defense so the cupboard is not bare unless for some reason guys like JHarris and JJacobs never come back as well as before injuries which would be a bummer for them.
I am not worried at all about the D next year. The D is loaded at DL - there is not a drop off when the starters are out and the depth is amazing. The DB's will be strong again. The biggest concern will be LB. If Jacobs decides to come back, than I would be a lot less concerned. I think Higgins will have a big Sr. year. He is a guy who has put in his time and just been stuck behind an All-American. Kyler Fisher is similar. If Jacobs returns and Higgins/Fisher (or one of the young bucks) can fill the gap, Defense should still be really strong.

Roberts was a game time decision, showing he was close. The in-season depth chart is backwards-looking, so it reflects what Saturday was like.

I would wager that we see Roberts starting saturday. DeJean looked awesome behind him.
This.....I won't wager BUT these tend to reflect how we came out of the last game and not necessarily this Saturday. Hoping the best for Roberts!

Look, I can get behind Parker doing a lot on defense - he's more than earned benefit of the doubt when it comes to being creative with personnel and defensive schemes, but someone needs to sit him down over Louie Stec getting on the field at tackle only weighing 168.
{/typo_joke}

I am not worried at all about the D next year. The D is loaded at DL - there is not a drop off when the starters are out and the depth is amazing. The DB's will be strong again. The biggest concern will be LB. If Jacobs decides to come back, than I would be a lot less concerned. I think Higgins will have a big Sr. year. He is a guy who has put in his time and just been stuck behind an All-American. Kyler Fisher is similar. If Jacobs returns and Higgins/Fisher (or one of the young bucks) can fill the gap, Defense should still be really strong.
Has Sullivan played this year?

Look, I can get behind Parker doing a lot on defense - he's more than earned benefit of the doubt when it comes to being creative with personnel and defensive schemes, but someone needs to sit him down over Louie Stec getting on the field at tackle only weighing 168.
{/typo_joke}
I'm surprised they don't fix that, it's been that way all season. Added note, I hope we land his cousin in the 2024 class.

I agree the D will be stout again next year. DL like you said will be strong. With Black that we kind of forget about right now, who hopefully is back soon this year, at DT with Lee and guys like Graves and Pittman backing them up. Curious if Van Ness will move out to DE and play more there with Craig and Hurkett. Higgins will be a true SR next year but could be back for 2 more years with COVID year. I think if not for COVID KF would've limited him to 4 games. Think with injury and barely playing Jacobs comes back. Secondary will have 4 guys who have starting experience with Dejean, Schulte, Harris and now Castro. Big ? is who is our other CB or does Dejean stay there or a guy like Hall take the spot over and who replaces Merrieweather at SS. Again is it Dejean? Play him there to keep him on the field more and have someone else play the cash like Castro and let us not forget about Nwankpa. Where does he fit in next season.

Reactions: owenhawk
I agree the D will be stout again next year. DL like you said will be strong. With Black that we kind of forget about right now, who hopefully is back soon this year, at DT with Lee and guys like Graves and Pittman backing them up. Curious if Van Ness will move out to DE and play more there with Craig and Hurkett. Higgins will be a true SR next year but could be back for 2 more years with COVID year. I think if not for COVID KF would've limited him to 4 games. Think with injury and barely playing Jacobs comes back. Secondary will have 4 guys who have starting experience with Dejean, Schulte, Harris and now Castro. Big ? is who is our other CB or does Dejean stay there or a guy like Hall take the spot over and who replaces Merrieweather at SS. Again is it Dejean? Play him there to keep him on the field more and have someone else play the cash like Castro and let us not forget about Nwankpa. Where does he fit in next season.

For next year’s secondary, I see:

Safeties - X and DeJean
CB - Roberts (if he returns), Harris, Hall
Cash - Castro

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
Will be interesting to see how Castro plays rest of the year. He has looked good. I wonder if he will be CASH with Roberts out and Dejean at CB. He might be able to solidify his spot for next year if he keeps playing like he has.

Maybe see DeJean and Harris at CB with Schulte and X at Safeties and Castro at CASH? The DL will still be loaded. Again, I think the biggest question will be LB but if Jacobs comes back, fills a huge hole.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT