ADVERTISEMENT

Game of CENTURY for BOTH TEAMS.

Nope. Iowa has been ranked so many times since we started playing again in the late 70s including multiple top 10-15 squads. When is the last time ISU was ranked when we played them? I know they were in 77' when we renewed the rivalry and still beat them with the classic "Beat Iowa" jerseys but I can't think of year since when they were. I know 2 years ago they almost were. This isn't the "game of the century" for Iowa just because for the first time in 40 years ISU decided to field a ranked team.

This is the first time that both teams are relevant at the time of the game and neither team would be disqualified from a good season with a loss. That being said, neither one will earn much of a boost in the ranking points for beating the other which is sad.

I'd rather win at Madison....Evanston, Lincoln, and College Park for that matter.

Biggest non conference game since Miami under the lights in 92, probably.

Last edited:
First time we both ranked For this game EVER. That makes it game of century. STOP trying to belittle ISU. We hate them but, this energy will flow into players and cause them to lose.

respect. GO HAWKS.
Lol…not even close. We’ll, for ISU yes. For the Hawks…hell no! Last week was way more important. We lose…we’re still on the drivers seat for west.

First time we both ranked For this game EVER. That makes it game of century. STOP trying to belittle ISU. We hate them but, this energy will flow into players and cause them to lose.

respect. GO HAWKS.
Both fan bases are pretty much mirrors of each other as much as it pains me to say so. I went over to CF after someone posted over here about what they are saying. It really is the same stuff, just in reverse.

Reactions: Lone Clone and F5n5
It's obvious that the OP meant that this is the GAME OF THE CENTURY in this Rivalry....he is spot on. There has never been a bigger game in this series then this one. Respect Iowa State...but we need to win this!!!

Reactions: F5n5
The chance to get crushed by Miami instead of USC?
I saw it years ago an article with the whole BCS and computer rankings. Showed and explained how even if Iowa went 12-0 we still would've been the odd man out and Ohio St would still have played Miami. Like Auburn in 04' when OU and USC played for the title game we would have been in that same spot at #3.

respect. GO HAWKS.
You must be really young to call this the game of the century. Talk about hype. Lol.

Reactions: MikeyHawk and pmtdc
I've heard of a #1 Iowa versus #2 Michigan matchup. I wasn't there but it sounds like it must have been a big game. I get that game was thirtyfive years ago but I've also watched at least two other single digit matchups this century but blanking out on the precise details perhaps because of the outcomes.

Reactions: rufus-hawk

respect. GO HAWKS.

It's obvious that the OP meant that this is the GAME OF THE CENTURY in this Rivalry....he is spot on. There has never been a bigger game in this series then this one. Respect Iowa State...but we need to win this!!!
Not obvious. Otherwise there would not be so many who didn't see it as obvious. In fact to see it as obvious, one would need to make assumptions as the plain language used by the poster reads otherwise.

Reactions: natchrlman
Regardless of the outcome, ISU is a nonconference foe. Therefore it is not and never will be the game of the century.
i could see a #1 versus #2 type situation that would be very meaningful with implications beyond a conference championship. fantastical perhaps but around 2099 who knows a 140ish year-old campbell would have forgotten more football than the iowa head coach of that era might know.

What's the OP smoking? JFC, this is no where near the top 10 for Iowa. Maybe for IA State considering that they should be favored...

Reactions: kcgolfer
NOV19-We-Are-Laughing-Eyman.gif

I've heard of a #1 Iowa versus #2 Michigan matchup. I wasn't there but it sounds like it must have been a big game. I get that game was thirtyfive years ago but I've also watched at least two other single digit matchups this century but blanking out on the precise details perhaps because of the outcomes.
That was a big game. I was there.

The 1977 ISU-Iowa game was bigger. The build up to that game lasted months. It consumed the state. When the game was played reports were streets were empty as everyone was watching the game.

It was played in a different century though.

Iowa's games against PSU and more importantly Wisconsin will say a lot more where they are as a program. Either one of those teams has deeper talent and a higher football profile than ISU will ever dream of having.

respect. GO HAWKS.
It's not the game of the Century for either team. If were in the same conference it would be far more important.

ADVERTISEMENT