ADVERTISEMENT

Game of CENTURY for BOTH TEAMS.

This non-conference game is worthless, except for (1) state bragging rights, (2) bowl selection, and (3) rankings.

In fact, if the Hawks lose they won't be penalized harshly for losing to a ranked team at their place, and probably won't be penalized in their bowl bid selection.

Last week's victory over the ranked Hoosier was far more important, and worth ten times as much as a win in this game.

GO HAWKS !
This is true.

That was a big game. I was there.

The 1977 ISU-Iowa game was bigger. The build up to that game lasted months. It consumed the state. When the game was played reports were streets were empty as everyone was watching the game.

It was played in a different century though.
This is ridiculous but as a clone fan I'm sure it was bigger to you since you got to participate in 77.... but it was #2 vs #1 and Michigan and Bo Schembechler and and a storybook ending with a national audience. Few Hawkeye fans who were alive for it would put anything above that one. Neither team was even ranked in 77 and I'm guessing few outside Iowa gave a shit

Its not just ISU fans, the rest of the country trashes it too!
Haha, ok... I've heard at least 3 announcers say something to the effect of "that's some big 12 defense there" when calling out horrible defensive effort. They had zero first round draft picks and only 3 more than the AAC FFS. You think you're best lil 12 team and just got bitch slapped by a team that might not even win the west😂. Enjoy your mid major

Last edited:
They have already decided that the new Big 12 is better than the Pac 12 and close to the ACC
Are they wrong? If Clemson isn't Clemson the last 5-10 years, where does the ACC hang their hat for football? FSU had 7 great/excellent years from 2010-2016, but otherwise have been pretty meh since 2000. Miami has only won 10 games once since 2003. Va Tech stopped being a 'power' in 2011. The point was made to me in another thread that the "NAMES" are there to bring in money, but at some point results are going to matter.

• Haha
Reactions: MikeyHawk
Are they wrong? If Clemson isn't Clemson the last 5-10 years, where does the ACC hang their hat for football? FSU had 7 great/excellent years from 2010-2016, but otherwise have been pretty meh since 2000. Miami has only won 10 games once since 2003. Va Tech stopped being a 'power' in 2011. The point was made to me in another thread that the "NAMES" are there to bring in money, but at some point results are going to matter.
Not really sure how to respond to this. Amazing really

They have already decided that the new Big 12 is better than the Pac 12 and close to the ACC
Wait til Fickell and Campbell bail on the conference. Does Gundy just stay at Okie State or does no one else want him?

They are gonna be a AA league and everyone really wants to play and coach up in AAA.

Reactions: MikeyHawk
This is ridiculous but as a clone fan I'm sure it was bigger to you since you got to participate in 77.... but it was #2 vs #1 and Michigan and Bo Schembechler and and a storybook ending with a national audience. Few Hawkeye fans who were alive for it would put anything above that one. Neither team was even ranked in 77 and I'm guessing few outside Iowa gave a shit
It was on ABC, which was a big deal in those days.

This non-conference game is worthless, except for (1) state bragging rights, (2) bowl selection, and (3) rankings.

In fact, if the Hawks lose they won't be penalized harshly for losing to a ranked team at their place, and probably won't be penalized in their bowl bid selection.

Last week's victory over the ranked Hoosier was far more important, and worth ten times as much as a win in this game.

GO HAWKS !
It is great for fan message boards.

What happens when Fickel and Campbell depart? If Gundy wants to stick around and be king of the shit heap, that ain't above anyone.

Asking for a friend: Would UCF consider taking back Scott Frost?

C'mon Matty benched Brock to help him. That was his excuse on Monday. Makes it sound like Brock was kind of helpless and was gonna spiral way out of control if he left him in the game.

It was on ABC, which was a big deal in those days.
1985 the kick will always be the game of the Century for me as a hawkeye fan. Watching ISU prove to the world that their self promoted hype spewed by their weasel AD only to show the country they are and will always be a nobody doesn't even come close to a game of the century. It was the reveal of the century. Reaveal that the Iowa State football program is an empty suit led by Bagdad Bob.

Reactions: HawksRMe
Do they all still have one extra covid year? They should all just come back one more time and take another swing at beating the Hawks in 2022!

Fair. This one was for me. Why? Never seen ISU and iowa both top 10 and actually go. It was special being there. I think beacuse I went is why we won. Energy flowed into us HAWK crowd.

WHy? THis is just weird. I will belittle them the rest of my days. Especially in the very near future when they become a mid-major budget busted athletic dept.

you can do what you want. My opinion is not wierd. Enjoy your life, I enjoy mine.

Thia was a typical IA - IA State game for me. IA State looked overmatched and out-coached. I think IA State was very overrated, way overrated. Are they top 10 worthy? Hell no! Are they worthy of being ranked? Not based on what they have done this year. They are living on what they did last year. The bottom will fall out on that in the next few weeks if they aren't careful.

ISU was ranked at the start of ‘02. We were not ranked until we started reeling off wins.
Not true. This season was first time isu was ranked since 78’ when they played Iowa. 2 years ago came close until they dropped out of top 25 after triple ot W vs UNI. In 02’ they got in top 25 shortly after Iowa W and as high as 9 before OU crushed them and then the wheels fell off they second half od the season.

speaking of top 10 read a funny bit of history for isu. After beating uni in week 1 it was officially isu’s best win as a top 10 team. Why? Because it is the only win in their programs history while ranked in the top 10.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: BBHawk
1985 the kick will always be the game of the Century for me as a hawkeye fan. Watching ISU prove to the world that their self promoted hype spewed by their weasel AD only to show the country they are and will always be a nobody doesn't even come close to a game of the century. It was the reveal of the century. Reaveal that the Iowa State football program is an empty suit led by Bagdad Bob.
This is really incredulous, ISU fans telling us what the biggest game in our program's history is. I wouldn't pretend to tell ISU fans what the biggest game in their program's history might be. Yes, 1985 #1 vs #2, with Iowa winning on a FG as time expired, will be really hard to top. 2015 Big 10 title game is right there as the winner of Iowa-MSU was going to the playoffs.

Campbell seems like a decent guy, but the last 2 years of non-stop poking by the ISU fan base about how they have surpassed Iowa was over the top, and yes, we Iowa fans are going to enjoy the victory. Ferentz had his team ready to play and took the fight to ISU. The team full of seniors made the mistakes, they can own that and acknowledge that one team came out and walked the walk.

What are Purdy's lifetime stats against Iowa? We know he is 0 -2 in the win category.
He's played in 2 games against Iowa, 2019 and 2021 - 0 wins, 2 losses

37 completions on 61 attempts, 60.7%
414 yards
1 TD
3 INTs
Career passer rating against Iowa, 113.24

The 2021 Iowa game is the worst passer rating of any game in his career, 68.9

ALSO, Brock Purdy has had a 3 INT game in 3 of his last 8 games.

Last edited:

414 yards
1 TD
3 INTs

The 2020 Iowa game is the worst passer rating of any game in his career, 68.9

Iowa and ISU didn't play in 2020.

This is really incredulous, ISU fans telling us what the biggest game in our program's history is. I wouldn't pretend to tell ISU fans what the biggest game in their program's history might be. Yes, 1985 #1 vs #2, with Iowa winning on a FG as time expired, will be really hard to top. 2015 Big 10 title game is right there as the winner of Iowa-MSU was going to the playoffs.

Campbell seems like a decent guy, but the last 2 years of non-stop poking by the ISU fan base about how they have surpassed Iowa was over the top, and yes, we Iowa fans are going to enjoy the victory. Ferentz had his team ready to play and took the fight to ISU. The team full of seniors made the mistakes, they can own that and acknowledge that one team came out and walked the walk.
For Iowa it’s not let alone even close to it. Don’t know how anyone can argue against Michigan 85’. However for isu if you look at it from last 40 years it comes very close and in my mind one of the top 3 games for them. Only other time you can find a game when they played a game with 2 top 10 teams as I mentioned in prior post was 02’ and they last to #2 OU 49-3. Then you have last weeks debacle of a game for them. Besides that probably throw in big 12 title game for them with a chance at breaking the 100 year conference title streak . I’m too young to remember and or know if any games in 70s when they had few good seasons or prior to that with their dormant history to find any game bigger than those 3.

414 yards
1 TD
3 INTs

The 2020 Iowa game is the worst passer rating of any game in his career, 68.9

Hmmm sounds like a 1st rounder to me!

Now this game and the ridiculous hyperbole around it can be relegated to an afterthought where it belongs.

Hmmm sounds like a 1st rounder to me!
Man I remember after 19’ season and right after 2020 nfl draft some of these outlets always do some of those way to early 21’ mock drafts. Isu fans were wetting themselves when purdy was mentioned as a possible 1st rounder in some of them. Now with pace he is on he will be lucky to be drafted. which it would be hilarious since they always ragged on Stanley who was 3-0 vs isu and got drafted in the 7th rd. But they always talked about how bad he was an up until last Saturday purdy was the greatest qb ever

ADVERTISEMENT