ADVERTISEMENT

Game of Chicken

What scenario do you see for the Lee-Hall redshirt option?

• Both guys take an Olympic Redshirt the whole way

• Both guys announce early they will wrestle selectively until March

• From the start, both guys attempt to wrestle a full schedule

• From the start, Lee takes the shirt, Hall doesn't

• From the start, Hall takes the shirt, Lee doesn't

• Both start with the shirt, Hall surprise-burns it in March

• Both start with the shirt, Lee surprise-burns it in March

• Both start with the shirt, both burn w/in a week of one another

Results are only viewable after voting.

slushhead

HR All-American
Mar 10, 2014
Another hypothetical to tickle your fancy . . .

Let's assume good health for all and the 2019-20 team title really comes down to Iowa and PSU. But it looks like a dead heat, where just one guy can and will make the difference.

So here's the question: How does it work out with the potential Olympic Redshirts for Spencer Lee and Mark Hall? Does this become a game of "chicken", where both guys start the season shirting, only to hit the lineup by surprise sometime in the 2nd semester to try to clinch the title for his team? Who blinks first? Or do they both just make it known they intend to wrestle the dual season selectively and then show up full time for the postseason ala Snyder?

A lot of opportunity for strategery here. Waiting as long as possible to burn the shirt may ultimately allow you to keep it if a guy from the other team goes down to injury and you are no longer needed to secure the team title. But waiting longer than your counterpart could come at a cost in the form of folkstyle rust.

Now, I already know some answers to expect. Bad Carl will certainly play chicken with his pawn, because he's a selfish scumbag. And Brands is going to do what's best for his guy, because that's the honorable thing to do. But let's say it's the wrestlers themselves that make the decision about how to approach it.

What do they do?

Cael has been quite clear when it comes to Olympic redshirts. He has no say in the decision if one of his wrestlers takes one. 100% on the wrestler and his family. Mark Hall will most likely take an ORS.

I believe Brands will lobby hard for Spencer to forego an ORS and Spencer will go along.

No idea what the situation is at PSU

I believe Brands will lobby hard for Spencer to forego an ORS and Spencer will go along.

No idea what the situation is at PSU
Curious why you say this.

I am far from a Brands apologist, but brands does strike me as a guy who pushes the Olympic avenue, and also will put the athletes before team needs. I believe he will leave this up to Spencer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT