ADVERTISEMENT

Gameday around Kinnick for Kids

Jan 4, 2005
I was wondering if anyone had any information for activities around Kinnick stadium before the game for kids. I'm bringing my daughters (2 first graders and a kindergartener) to their first Iowa game. They've been watching with me on TV since birth and I've taken them to preseason Bears games the last 3 years and they've made it through the games without problem. They are very excited.

We are taking the Hawkeye express train to the game. I heard that the players walk into the stadium a couple hours before the game and we'll probably want to see that. Any other suggestions for things to do before the game around Kinnick with the kids? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. The players get off the bus, and enter the stadium1 hour and 30 minutes before the game. Kids all over the place. I usually send mine up and get back so other kids can get in.

Then we head over to the rec building where the band is warming up. They put on a show that the kids enjoy. It is pretty loud in there, though. However, it's inside, which is nice on a hot day.

When my kids aren't there the morning goes much differently. Others might have more/better ideas for you.

The players get off the bus in front of the Nile Kinnick statue on Melrose. If you're by the statue, you won't miss it.

Better get there at least 2 hours early to see them get off bus. Not sure how early train starts. After the game, the players will sign autographs, and take pics, at the same gate by Kinnick statue. My kids liked that much more than before. Again, you are at the mercy of the train, though. There are other activities for kids in that area before game, too. Then just people watch.

It is 2 hours before, give or take 5 minutes on either side.

More like 20. Used to go all the time, but stopped after continuing to miss it.

The other thing about the area near the statue this year is that's where they're going to have the pre-game concerts. Might be a little loud for young kids. That is where most of the kid-friendly stuff is usually held, though.

Thanks, guys. Not sure why I was thinking an hour and a half. Better listen to these guys and plan on 2 hours.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT