ADVERTISEMENT

Gary Barta POLL

We need new leadership in the AD?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LaQuintaHawkeye

HR Heisman
Dec 16, 2017
Is it time for Gary to be relieved of his duties, so that an honest, non-partisan review of coaching staffs can take place?

Our two revenue generating HC's have been in place far longer than the majority of their peers. Some think stability is the best thing for a program, others would say it can go on too long and only leads to stagnation and eventual collapse.

A new AD will eventually, if not immediately, want to make his mark and put "his guys" in those top spots.

This change is inevitable, probably sooner than later, so is now the time to start the process?

He's won a lot of championships the last 5 or 6 years, in

wrestling
track
Women's basketball
Men's basketball
football
baseball
field hockey

not to mention bowl appearances and bowl wins and NCAA appearances in multiple sports.

You don't fire an AD who is winning, not to mention he is a good fundraiser.

Tired of his act? Sure, you might be. Should he be fired? Hell no.

Is it time for Gary to be relieved of his duties, so that an honest, non-partisan review of coaching staffs can take place?

Our two revenue generating HC's have been in place far longer than the majority of their peers. Some think stability is the best thing for a program, others would say it can go on too long and only leads to stagnation and eventual collapse.

A new AD will eventually, if not immediately, want to make his mark and put "his guys" in those top spots.

This change is inevitable, probably sooner than later, so is now the time to start the process?

I was all for a new AD replacing Barta about 6-7 years ago as Iowa teams were not winning hardly any championships outside of wrestling, which had been sort of stagnating also.

I will say the winning has started to come around. But still the lawsuits and other mayhem, 1 bball tourney championship since he has been here and we all know that winning the outright regular season big 10 league is really the big award, no big 10 football titles with iirc 2 division titles, we did get the big Orange Bowl win, wrestling is really on top.

But the bottom line is Barta fell into the big money that Delaney and others built up for all the Big 10 teams. And 16 to 17 years is just too damn long for the few titles of any kind in the big sports.

So time for new blood

In this era of college sports, with coaches making $10 million, NIL, the Portal, the NCAA seemingly helpless - it's the wild west. I'm not sure what an AD is supposed to do anymore.
Primarily, they fire and hire coaches ...it's how they typically make a name for themselves.

See Post #1 of this thread for how that relates to this poll.

Well let's see. Played for the Big Championship in football and one game away this year. Won the last Big Ten Tournament in basketball. Recently won the national title in wrestling. Recently won the big ten tournament in baseball and resurrected a program from the grave. Outstanding track teams. Women won the big ten basketball tournament and just beat #2 Ohio State on their court. Should move up from their #10 rating. Field Hockey. Attendance is awesome in wrestling and women's basketball. Men's basketball is pretty good and football season tickets were sold out.

Based on that data how would you evaluate the coaching staff and the athletic department?

Well let's see. Played for the Big Championship in football and one game away this year. Won the last Big Ten Tournament in basketball. Recently won the national title in wrestling. Recently won the big ten tournament in baseball and resurrected a program from the grave. Outstanding track teams. Women won the big ten basketball tournament and just beat #2 Ohio State on their court. Should move up from their #10 rating. Field Hockey. Attendance is awesome in wrestling and women's basketball. Men's basketball is pretty good and football season tickets were sold out.

Based on that data how would you evaluate the coaching staff and the athletic department?
Based on (my criteria) this year so far...

Women's BB = A+
Wrestling = A-
Men's BB = C+
...(if not for the national humiliation of the EIU loss, it would be a solid B)
Football = C- ...(can't lose to both ISU & Nub the same year - at HOME - without at least 9 wins and get a better grade in my book)
Field Hockey = don't care
T&F = don't care
Any other sport = don't care

If either Women's BB or Wrestling win a NC it would be awesome, but not a massive game changer overall for the AD.

As far as the 'BIG 2' programs go, I think we all know what change needs to happen immediately and what other changes are most likely going to need to be addressed within the next ~4 years.

Women's BB = A+
Wrestling = A-
Men's BB = C+
Football = C- ...(can't lose to both ISU & Nub the same year - at HOME - without at least 9 wins and get a better grade in my book)
T&F = don't care

If either Women's BB or Wrestling win a NC it would be awesome, but not a massive game changer overall for the AD.

As far as the 'BIG 2' programs go, I think we all know what change needs to happen immediately and what other changes are most likely going to need to be addressed within the next ~4 years.
You have to admit GB's overall grade for the FB program during his tenure would have to be a solid B or B+.

Come on, an 8 win season with a bowl win (a shutout no less) has to rate as better than a C-. Pretty high bar you've set. I get the angst about the putrid offense in 2022. I'm hoping it has a 'dead cat bounce' in 2023.

Reactions: KFsdisciple
You have to admit GB's overall grade for the FB program during his tenure would have to be a solid B or B+.

Come on, an 8 win season with a bowl win (a shutout no less) has to rate as better than a C-. Pretty high bar you've set. I get the angst about the putrid offense in 2022. I'm hoping it has a 'dead cat bounce' in 2023.
The team was 6-5 VS power 5 competition this year and Kentucky played without their first round projected qb while Iowa might have had a qb upgrade by playing 3rd stringer. The Iowa State and Neb losses at home should have counted as 2 losses they were so pathetic. C is fair

87 pct, huh? I didn't know that kind of unity was possible on these boards. Fuk Gary Barta

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
I don't have an issue with results on the field, his handling of off field issues such as NIL and the women's field hockey situation should cause fans to be unhappy with him. Unfortunately, the NIL problem is likely an issue that goes all the way to the president.

My 'coaching' grades were based on this year so far.

Regarding Gary's grade overall during his tenure, please see lawsuits and the general handling in allowing KF to hire his son for positions he was not qualified for ...he is simply KF's puppet. His grade is a C at best. That includes his hiring of Fran, which I would give him an A- for.

This past football season was a running joke nationally due to offensive incompetence - that's terrible PR for a program that struggles to attract top-end recruits in good years. Not too mention wasting a stellar defensive unit.

Bottom line (my criteria), beat Nub and I'd bump it from C- to B+ ...beat ISU as well and I'd bump it up to a A.

*The bowl is irrelevant ...transfer portal and kids sitting out those games have really skewed the outcomes. Keep in mind that in the very near future all that will matter is if you're one of the 12 playoff teams.

I'm with you in hoping for a bounce in 2023.

Women's BB = A+
Wrestling = A-
Men's BB = C+
T&F = don't care

I don't think the university cares what your opinion is. When you look at the athletic program, and the data I posted, there are many programs that would love to be there.

Reactions: chuck285

Women's BB = A+
Wrestling = A-
Men's BB = C+
T&F = don't care

Wrestling sold out and building a brand new training facility (underway now). How is that not A+++++++. And love Tom Brands!

You missed baseball which is definitely elevated and on the rise more. Just hope they can get a new stadium or massive upgrades to existing.

I don't have an issue with results on the field, his handling of off field issues such as NIL and the women's field hockey situation should cause fans to be unhappy with him. Unfortunately, the NIL problem is likely an issue that goes all the way to the president.
NIL he is listening to the University's lawyers.

Not to mention all the fundraising.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
Wrestling sold out and building a brand new training facility (underway now). How is that not A+++++++. And love Tom Brands!

You missed baseball which is definitely elevated and on the rise more. Just hope they can get a new stadium or massive upgrades to existing.
Team currently isn’t looking like the dominant NC teams we’ve had in the past. See Wisky meet over the weekend. The Wrestling bar is set very high, and an A- is being pretty generous with how they are looking so far. Hopefully, someone with a last name other than Lee can start pulling their weight and showing signs they know what bonus points are, and not just settling for a W. If not, might as well hand the trophy over to the Nitts now.

Don’t get me wrong, love our wrestling program and TB. Also, I will give credit to GB for the construction of the new facility.

Is Baseball a revenue generating program, if so I apologize for missing it. I was only responding to the other person’s comment; and that’s the only reason I called out Field Hockey and T&F. They didn’t bother mentioning Baseball by name, so I didn’t either.

He's won a lot of championships the last 5 or 6 years, in

wrestling
track
Women's basketball
Men's basketball
football
baseball
field hockey

not to mention bowl appearances and bowl wins and NCAA appearances in multiple sports.

You don't fire an AD who is winning, not to mention he is a good fundraiser.

Tired of his act? Sure, you might be. Should he be fired? Hell no.
When did we win a Football championship? Weak west division that we backed into thanks to Minnesota!!Mens basketball? Big10 tourney but not a reg. season champioship!

My 'coaching' grades were based on this year so far.

Regarding Gary's grade overall during his tenure, please see lawsuits and the general handling in allowing KF to hire his son for positions he was not qualified for ...he is simply KF's puppet. His grade is a C at best. That includes his hiring of Fran, which I would give him an A- for.

This past football season was a running joke nationally due to offensive incompetence - that's terrible PR for a program that struggles to attract top-end recruits in good years. Not too mention wasting a stellar defensive unit.

Bottom line (my criteria), beat Nub and I'd bump it from C- to B+ ...beat ISU as well and I'd bump it up to a A.

*The bowl is irrelevant ...transfer portal and kids sitting out those games have really skewed the outcomes. Keep in mind that in the very near future all that will matter is if you're one of the 12 playoff teams.

I'm with you in hoping for a bounce in 2023.
You're entitled to your jaded opinion.

Some of you are easy graders. Gets an F for bankrupting U of I’s reserve fund due to his stupidness on lawsuit 1, Should’ve been outright fired after settling Title IX lawsuit #2.

Then there's his habit of handing out ridiculously unfavorable contract extensions for middling performance. Thanks to Gary we're married to Fran until 2029 for the impressive feat of hanging an NCAA tournament participant banner.

Team currently isn’t looking like the dominant NC teams we’ve had in the past. See Wisky meet over the weekend. The Wrestling bar is set very high, and an A- is being pretty generous with how they are looking so far. Hopefully, someone with a last name other than Lee can start pulling their weight and showing signs they know what bonus points are, and not just settling for a W. If not, might as well hand the trophy over to the Nitts now.

Don’t get me wrong, love our wrestling program and TB. Also, I will give credit to GB for the construction of the new facility.

Is Baseball a revenue generating program, if so I apologize for missing it. I was only responding to the other person’s comment; and that’s the only reason I called out Field Hockey and T&F. They didn’t bother mentioning Baseball by name, so I didn’t either.
The wrestling facility has nothing to do with the AD. It was 100% privately funded.

LOL, I think it has something to do with the AD ...hard to just build an athletic facility on school property and not have AD involvement. Funding is a combination of both...

Hm guess I was mistaken but I remember when the planning was being done that the university wasn’t going to chip in at all.

I think instability leads to more collapses than stability…

Reactions: Mister Plow
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT