ADVERTISEMENT

Gary Barta POLL

We need new leadership in the AD?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Dan Monson won 54% of his games to Alford’s 59%. But it wasn’t even so much that. If you were in CHA on 2/16/2002 you’d know. The year after winning the BTT. Great recruiting class coming in. Top 10 preseason. SOLD OUT ON A SEASON TICKET BASIS! Then fast forward to 2/16. It was a Saturday early game. There couldn’t have been 3,000 people actually at the game. I had never seen anything like that. And yeah 2005-06 was a good team and a fun season. Doesn’t change the fact Alford put the program on life support.

But if your point is that Lick was worse you won’t get any argument from me. Instead of reviving it, Lick took the opportunity to go lube free on the non-responsive vegetable of a basketball program for 3 unbearable years.
Fans turning on the basketball program was as much or more to do with the Pierre Pierce rape scandal as it was the product on the court. There were many people that flat refused to watch or attend games with PP on the team.

Reactions: BonzoFury
Fans turning on the basketball program was as much or more to do with the Pierre Pierce rape scandal as it was the product on the court. There were many people that flat refused to watch or attend games with PP on the team.
And in general Alford's behavior within the community.

Reactions: longliveCS40
I'm sure Iowa having a spot in the premier college sports conference has nothing to do with it...it's all Gary.

Sorry for not sharing your opinion Mrs. Barta.

I'm sorry that facts keep getting in the way of your arguments. When the facts don't support your argument, resort to name calling. Not effective.

Barta will retire in the near future. He's not a young man. Then you will get your wish as Iowa will hire a new AD.

But you will continue trolling with the new AD and there will be no guarantee that Iowa will win more. Study Nebraska carefully...changing ADs every 5 years or less results in mediocrity in football and basketball. And yes, Nebraska is in a premier conference but they suck in both sports right now.

Agreed. Another Alford failure.

And in general Alford's behavior within the community.

Alford was a prick. I was an intramurals official for a few years at Iowa. 98-01

At a midnight madness event, as part of the nights activities was a 3 on 3 contest between intramural champs vs. Iowa coaches. I was the head of 3 officials.

Alford clearly didn't read the rules of the game and continued to break them, I, with my brass balls called off several of Alfords shots. (the other coaches had no problem following the set out rules). At one point Alford started swearing at me.......and get this...... he pulled out the "don't you know who I am" card.

One of my favorite stories to pull out from time to time. he was pissed. All I said back to him was the other 5 players on the court aren't having problems with the rules

Last edited:
How did he handle the rape scandal deal again? You may like scumbag coaches, but most of us don't.
Again, I never said he was a good person or that I like him. You are a master distorter and just a pathetic little bitch. To review, basketball didn't become a complete shit show until Gary hired Lick and your shitty memory doesn't change that. Iowa bball had more sellouts and near sellouts in 05-06 than they did last year and that was after PP... are you saying Fran's program is a dumpster fire now? So dumb

Last edited:
Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Based on (my criteria) this year so far...

Women's BB = A+
Wrestling = A-
Men's BB = C+
...(if not for the national humiliation of the EIU loss, it would be a solid B)
Football = C- ...(can't lose to both ISU & Nub the same year - at HOME - without at least 9 wins and get a better grade in my book)
Field Hockey = don't care
T&F = don't care
Any other sport = don't care

If either Women's BB or Wrestling win a NC it would be awesome, but not a massive game changer overall for the AD.

As far as the 'BIG 2' programs go, I think we all know what change needs to happen immediately and what other changes are most likely going to need to be addressed within the next ~4 years.
How they finished imo...

Women's BB = A+ (add another + if they win it all, hell, add two)
Wrestling = B+ (in this sport you're either first or it doesn't matter; gotta close the gap with PSU)
Men's BB = C+ (got as high as B+ before the wheels came off the last few games)
Football = C (including off-season, first portal window additions moves them a tick up)*

*This doesn't even factor in the whole settling with the FB players in their law suit.

Still think at the very least Barta should be on the hot-seat; probably should just encourage him go ahead and retire now.

How they finished imo...

Women's BB = A+ (add another + if they win it all, hell, add two)
Wrestling = B+ (in this sport you're either first or it doesn't matter; gotta close the gap with PSU)
Men's BB = C+ (got as high as B+ before the wheels came off the last few games)
Football = C (including off-season, first portal window additions moves them a tick up)*

*This doesn't even factor in the whole settling with the FB players in their law suit.

Still think at the very least Barta should be on the hot-seat; probably should just encourage him go ahead and retire now.
I think the sports teams are doing fairly well. No where near poorly enough to can your AD.

However, I think he should be canned for all the settled lawsuits and things off the field/court.

Baseball is rocking. Women's baskteball rocking. Wrestling at #2 is rocking with good wrestlers coming in. Football will get rocking with Cade.

Give old GarBar a lifetime contract now!

Warnok (WB) is done after this year to enter dental school, so maybe she will fix Gary's teeth for him.

I finally voted with my checkbook. I turned down my season tickets and gave my donation money to U of Iowa cancer research.

I could not donate any more money to AD to have Barta waste it on poor decisions leading to lawsuits. Is it 3 or 4 multimillion settlements on his watch? (Field hockey, swimming, football, and another???)

I loved my seats, but Barta has consistently shown poor leadership and I will not fund his wasteful behavior.

Wrestling at #2 is rocking
Sorry, but in Wrestling you're either #1 or "one of the others" ...Brands needs to close the gap with PSU, and that gap unfortunately is growing not closing.

We are Iowa, settling for #2 in Wrestling is like french kissing your sister ...only sickos would see that as okay.

Sorry, but in Wrestling you're either #1 or "one of the others" ...Brands needs to close the gap with PSU, and that gap unfortunately is growing not closing.

We are Iowa, settling for #2 in Wrestling is like french kissing your sister ...only sickos would see that as okay.
So # 1 every year or fire Brands!

Are you contributing so we can pay wrestlers to come in?

So # 1 every year or fire Brands!

Are you contributing so we can pay wrestlers to come in?

#1 every three years minimum… WE ARE IOWA and being on top in wresting is what we do.

We may not go on 5 or 10 year runs anymore, but we should still be finishing on top regularly.

Why are you okay with PSU being #1 and Iowa the also ran?

#1 every three years minimum… WE ARE IOWA and being on top in wresting is what we do.

We may not go on 5 or 10 year runs anymore, but we should still be finishing on top regularly.

Why are you okay with PSU being #1 and Iowa the also ran?
Because call me crazy, but I don't believe # 2 is an also ran. Ridiculous. Why don't kids who finish second just quit then, cause they need to be #1 or what?

Because call me crazy, but I don't believe # 2 is an also ran. Ridiculous. Why don't kids who finish second just quit then, cause they need to be #1 or what?
Because we are Iowa, do some research ...here, I'll do it for you...

The Hawkeyes are a dynastic/blue blood in wrestling.

Much like UNC/Kentucky/etc in MBB ...or Alabama/Texas/Ohio State/etc in football ...we fans are allowed to feel entitled to championships in wrestling.

Unfortunately, in that sport, the top programs (blue bloods if you will) are currently numbered at 2.

That means you either win championships, or you fall back to where 75% of where everyone else sits.

Sure, the program isn't in danger of falling off the map (i.e. ISU or OkSU), but there is a totally different level with this sport than say football or MBB, where if you are still hanging around the T10 every year you don't feel as bad even if you're not winning championships.

Again, Iowa is ELITE at this particular sport, so expecting championships every third year or so shouldn't be considered out of line.

If you honestly feel #2 is just fine every year ...then I sincerely hope you're not a leader of men in any capacity.

Because we are Iowa, do some research ...here, I'll do it for you...

The Hawkeyes are a dynastic/blue blood in wrestling.

Much like UNC/Kentucky/etc in MBB ...or Alabama/Texas/Ohio State/etc in football ...we fans are allowed to feel entitled to championships in wrestling.

Unfortunately, in that sport, the top programs (blue bloods if you will) are currently numbered at 2.

That means you either win championships, or you fall back to where 75% of where everyone else sits.

Sure, the program isn't in danger of falling off the map (i.e. ISU or OkSU), but there is a totally different level with this sport than say football or MBB, where if you are still hanging around the T10 every year you don't feel as bad even if you're not winning championships.

Again, Iowa is ELITE at this particular sport, so expecting championships every third year or so shouldn't be considered out of line.

If you honestly feel #2 is just fine every year ...then I sincerely hope you're not a leader of men in any capacity.
How many divorces are you up to? 3 or 4?

Wow, you can bet Michigan, OhioSt and USC are thrilled that this hayseed is the acting like he is in charge of the new Big 10 scheduling. Who enabled this low ranking AD from a middling school to be the sound bite of the new conference LMAO
Is it time for Gary to be relieved of his duties, so that an honest, non-partisan review of coaching staffs can take place?

Our two revenue generating HC's have been in place far longer than the majority of their peers. Some think stability is the best thing for a program, others would say it can go on too long and only leads to stagnation and eventual collapse.

A new AD will eventually, if not immediately, want to make his mark and put "his guys" in those top spots.

This change is inevitable, probably sooner than later, so is now the time to start the process?
ow

Is it time for Gary to be relieved of his duties, so that an honest, non-partisan review of coaching staffs can take place?

Our two revenue generating HC's have been in place far longer than the majority of their peers. Some think stability is the best thing for a program, others would say it can go on too long and only leads to stagnation and eventual collapse.

A new AD will eventually, if not immediately, want to make his mark and put "his guys" in those top spots.

This change is inevitable, probably sooner than later, so is now the time to start the process?
Barta is lucky some Caitlin saved his failing and soon to be awful football and bball programs.

• Haha
Reactions: pistachio1999
did you know that most marriages don't last 15+ years? ...actually, most don't last 10 yrs

those that end are typically due to stale and stagnant relationships ...sound familiar?
#1 or bust is what you tell them. Gotta be making the $, fit and trim, do as you say and be a looker or out they go!

Barta is lucky some Caitlin saved his failing and soon to be awful football and bball programs.

WBB is doing great ...but it's not a revenue generator, at best it's maybe third in the pecking order:

Football = 80%
MBB = 10%
WBB = 3%
Wrestling = 2%
All others combined = 5%

WBB success is simply not enough to justify keeping him around.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT