ADVERTISEMENT

Gary Barta

percyland

HR MVP
Apr 16, 2011
If I was found guilty in court of sexual discrimination, settled on another sexual discrimination case and cost my company millions of dollars I would of probably been fired by now.

That is all.

Reactions: ih8iast8
If I was found guilty in court of sexual discrimination, settled on another sexual discrimination case and cost my company millions of dollars I would of probably been fired by now.
Probably had a jury of Iowa state fans. Lesson learned: don't hire someone with too much testosterone
That is all.

LOL. That was a leftist social justice Warrior witch-hunt. Jane Mayer should have never gotten a dime and in fact she should owe a bag full of money back to the athletic department, particularly baseball.

Anybody that knows anything about this situation knows this was a joke of a verdict

LOL. That was a leftist social justice Warrior witch-hunt. Jane Mayer should have never gotten a dime and in fact she should owe a bag full of money back to the athletic department, particularly baseball.

Anybody that knows anything about this situation knows this was a joke of a verdict
I don't think Gary showed any sexual discrimination or is that type of person at all, but it doesn't matter because of what the court says. It wasn't that he discriminated he messed up in a huge way by not documenting anything. Anyone who has ever taken a Human Resources course probably can tell you your write down anything you say.

That is all.

But what if you were helping to bring your company in much much more $$$$$ than they just had to pay out???

Competency as an administrator is not particularly relevant to keeping the job of AD, as has been demonstrated by the current occupant.
Fund raising, particularly pleasing big donors and getting them to pony up more dough, is by far the most important function. We knew that previously. Current public outcomes have simply helped to solidify that.

Reactions: cmhawks99
FWIW and as I have mentioned before, there were a lot of people involved in this as culpable and honestly more so than Gary Barta. Quite frankly if you are really looking for someone to admonish I'd start with the legal team that KNEW how much the U of I did or did not document, how strong the case was or wasn't and "still" they went to trial.

And in that Spirit and similar to my over-arching thought process with criticism in general. I never understand the who, why or what of whom the general populace chooses to lay blame on. I'm not saying Gary B is righteous here, but honestly, never did I expect he'd be fired, nor do I find him to be the most obvious failure in this case....plenty of that to go around.

Reactions: Hendy hawk

That is all.

All of it means nothing until the external audit of Iowa's hiring and employment practices within the Athletic Department is done. If that investigation finds fault with the way AD business was being done, the political pressure on Harrald to jettison Barta will be severe.

Reactions: percyland
FWIW and as I have mentioned before, there were a lot of people involved in this as culpable and honestly more so than Gary Barta. Quite frankly if you are really looking for someone to admonish I'd start with the legal team that KNEW how much the U of I did or did not document, how strong the case was or wasn't and "still" they went to trial.

And in that Spirit and similar to my over-arching thought process with criticism in general. I never understand the who, why or what of whom the general populace chooses to lay blame on. I'm not saying Gary B is righteous here, but honestly, never did I expect he'd be fired, nor do I find him to be the most obvious failure in this case....plenty of that to go around.

When you are head of the department or CEO and your department loses millions of dollars because your policies didn't work or like Barta who had no policies in place at all. The top guy has to take responsibility, it's part of the job.

That is all.
His boss should be fired.he takes HEAT for the CAP.That part of his job.AND he is great fund raiser.His bosses love that.SCHOOLS love money. Tution CHEAP NO?

I don't think Gary showed any sexual discrimination or is that type of person at all, but it doesn't matter because of what the court says. It wasn't that he discriminated he messed up in a huge way by not documenting anything. Anyone who has ever taken a Human Resources course probably can tell you your write down anything you say.
I agree with this 100%. The bottom line is the testimony alone should have saved the University from paying a dime out. I think the university lawyers did a terrible job with jury selection but it's probably hard to find non left-wingers to serve on a jury because most of us are working

Reactions: cap_tain8
Sigh..... you should maybe leave these types of discussions to others.

Accounting. Not for everybody
Uh it was Gary Barta who said that it was cash flow issues and the price of a few big projects that made them operate at a loss of almost $3 million last year. So you'll have to take up the statement of operating at a loss with him

When you are head of the department or CEO and your department loses millions of dollars because your policies didn't work or like Barta who had no policies in place at all. The top guy has to take responsibility, it's part of the job.

Apparently not...and for FWIW I linked in the last argument we had about this that Iowa was one of only 16 power 5 programs that turned a profit and that was a well researched article, not by me either mind you, but the originator of that article.

Here is another one by business insiders....http://www.businessinsider.com/coll.../#14-university-of-tennessee--1075-million-14

Here is the thing, much like this message board, people have an agenda. No clue what the Gazette is basing their info on but Iowa's A-Department is routinely one of the most valuable, per Forbes, Business insiders, etc....Gary Barta has done a good job.

Now, full disclosure and I'm not saying you Percy, but the REAL reason people on THIS message board want him fired is because they think a new AD would fire KF, but they are just typical fans. They could care less about anything else..

I said in that thread and I'll say again, he isn't likely to be fired. And for all intents and purposes Iowa has a solid Athletic Dep and they make lots of money.

Reactions: Ree4 and terrehawk
Untrue. They have lost money the last two years.

1600am station had a good break down on this. Asked friend who is an accountant they way they list stuff like renovations with payments and loans they do some fancy accounting stuff that looks like losses but method behind the madness with taxes, revenue, etc and all this other stuff. Long story short athletic department is fine and still making $.

That is merely an accounting maneuver. The Iowa Athletic Department is extremely healthy

Just another example of the critics looking for what they want to see....

Here is the 2016 Business Insiders article....Iowa still in top 20.

http://www.businessinsider.com/schools-most-revenue-college-sports-2016-10/#25-ucla--969-million-1

Here is another...

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

Here is the article I linked a few months ago...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/sports/wp/2015/11/23/running-up-the-bills/?utm_term=.e6559e2d8829

Here is the rub, just like with coach Ferentz, the outside world appreciates Iowa and him way more than some of the fans..But that's ok, that's not an Iowa fan thing it's just a fan thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ree4 and terrehawk
Apparently not...and for FWIW I linked in the last argument we had about this that Iowa was one of only 16 power 5 programs that turned a profit and that was a well researched article, not by me either mind you, but the originator of that article.

Here is another one by business insiders....http://www.businessinsider.com/coll.../#14-university-of-tennessee--1075-million-14

Here is the thing, much like this message board, people have an agenda. No clue what the Gazette is basing their info on but Iowa's A-Department is routinely one of the most valuable, per Forbes, Business insiders, etc....Gary Barta has done a good job.

Now, full disclosure and I'm not saying you Percy, but the REAL reason people on THIS message board want him fired is because they think a new AD would fire KF, but they are just typical fans. They could care less about anything else..

I said in that thread and I'll say again, he isn't likely to be fired. And for all intents and purposes Iowa has a solid Athletic Dep and they make lots of money.
This is nothing against Gary Barta himself or personally toward him, apparently he is well liked there. But I'm saying if I personally was found guilty twice of this in court and cost my employer millions of dollars in settlements I'd probably lose my job.

1600am station had a good break down on this. Asked friend who is an accountant they way they list stuff like renovations with payments and loans they do some fancy accounting stuff that looks like losses but method behind the madness with taxes, revenue, etc and all this other stuff. Long story short athletic department is fine and still making $.

I have to confess I actually enjoy it when people grab onto misrepresented information and run with it, because in their mind, they think...."ah ha see I'm right"...but the reality is always different than they hope.......:D

I agree with this 100%. The bottom line is the testimony alone should have saved the University from paying a dime out. I think the university lawyers did a terrible job with jury selection but it's probably hard to find non left-wingers to serve on a jury because most of us are working
And you still have time to come here and spout off right wing nonsense. Compliments on your time management skillso_O

This is nothing against Gary Barta himself or personally toward him, apparently he is well liked there. But I'm saying if I personally was found guilty twice of this in court and cost my employer millions of dollars in settlements I'd probably lose my job.

Me too, but, we aren't Gary Barta...now I have made my boss millions, (small) in the last 14 years, but GB makes them MILLIONS.....more than that. IOWA has a top 20 Athletic Dep. every year per monies made.

TerreHawk,

This is an out loud endorsement of Kudos. I have come to the decision of late that those who stick to basic facts and try to be real with things should do a Better job of supporting each other. I don't know if I typically agree with SD on issues or not, but I know I do you....keep it up.

Gary Barta isn't getting fired, the AD is making money and for all intents and purposes the MBB, WBB, FB, WR & Mens Bball teams are all in good hands.

Reactions: terrehawk
Me too, but, we aren't Gary Barta...now I have made my boss millions, (small) in the last 14 years, but GB makes them MILLIONS.....more than that. IOWA has a top 20 Athletic Dep. every year per monies made.
You're acting like he's the only Athletic Director in the Big Ten who makes their school millions.

You're acting like he's the only Athletic Director in the Big Ten who makes their school millions.

One of only about 8 and 16 of 50 plus power 5 schools, so yes he is...look at what I linked. It will become clearer to you.

I am a bit surprised Barta was allowed to keep his position ... considering the court case, and before that - his Ferentz contract extension ... not once ... but twice ...

As for the court case, I think there was plenty of blame to go around for how things/were not documented ... how equipment was tracked, etc. I thought the settlement might push Barta out the door. Obviously that is not going to happen ...

I met Barta couple of times when I was on the Polk County I-Club board ... He's a nice enough guy ... Personally, I think there are many ADs who could come to the University of Iowa and be more successful than Barta ... His OVERALL body or work ... meh

Reactions: percyland
They aren't.
http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sp...wkeyes-revenue-expenditures-budget/455460001/

"In 2014-15, Iowa's athletic department brought in $105.97 million and spent $109.21 million for a deficit of $3.24 million."

"The report shows that Iowa's athletic department had total operating revenue of $113.25 million for the 2015-16 academic year, with expenditures of $116.17 million. The resulting deficit of $2.92 million marked the second consecutive year the department operated in the red."

"The deficit was covered by the athletic department’s reserve fund, which Barta estimated sits between $8-9 million. Barta has said he anticipates a balanced budget when 2016-17 figures are released. That was before the university settled two gender discrimination lawsuits for $6.5 million, however."

It sure looks like they were in the red the last two years. I know if as a project manager I had to dip into my company's reserve at the end of the year after bringing in less than I spent I sure has hell wouldn't say I was in the black.

So what if your bosses and legal team told you to take the course you did would you still get fired and they skate scott free??

I am a bit surprised Barta was allowed to keep his position ... considering the court case, and before that - his Ferentz contract extension ... not once ... but twice ...

As for the court case, I think there was plenty of blame to go around for how things/were not documented ... how equipment was tracked, etc. I thought the settlement might push Barta out the door. Obviously that is not going to happen ...

I met Barta couple of times when I was on the Polk County I-Club board ... He's a nice enough guy ... Personally, I think there are many ADs who could come to the University of Iowa and be more successful than Barta ... His OVERALL body or work ... meh

Well not trying to be a dick but if you would read the Washington post article I linked, you'd find our AD Dept, was in the red when he took over and now it is routinely ranked as one of the most valuable per Forbes and Business insiders....

So I'm going to say again and I'll preface with I know I "pi$$ off" that certain segment of the fan base and I can't remember if you are one of them or not. But your first statement nailed the problem,...KF and his extended contract.

Unfortunately and AGAIN......people just lack perspective or understanding. Paul Rhodes was gazillion games under .500 and was making 2 mill a year. The rest of the country (outside of the very limited Iowa fan base) thinks KF is an outstanding coach. And all the measurable metrics say GB has done an excellent job despite the critics. Yes this is a black eye, but quite frankly as has been stated, it could have been handled before Court, that was not on GB....

Maybe I just understand the world and reality differently but I'm not even remotely surprised by any of this.

Reactions: HawkeyeHoltkamp
http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sp...wkeyes-revenue-expenditures-budget/455460001/

"In 2014-15, Iowa's athletic department brought in $105.97 million and spent $109.21 million for a deficit of $3.24 million."

"The report shows that Iowa's athletic department had total operating revenue of $113.25 million for the 2015-16 academic year, with expenditures of $116.17 million. The resulting deficit of $2.92 million marked the second consecutive year the department operated in the red."

"The deficit was covered by the athletic department’s reserve fund, which Barta estimated sits between $8-9 million. Barta has said he anticipates a balanced budget when 2016-17 figures are released. That was before the university settled two gender discrimination lawsuits for $6.5 million, however."

It sure looks like they were in the red the last two years. I know if as a project manager I had to dip into my company's reserve at the end of the year after bringing in less than I spent I sure has hell wouldn't say I was in the black.

Its an accounting measure....Business insiders nor Forbes would appear to agree....just sayin'

So what if your bosses and legal team told you to take the course you did would you still get fired and they skate scott free??
You mean tell him to go back in time and write down why you were making Jane Meyer switch positions and offcially write down when she would have outbursts. Or tell him to fire her when she yelled at him in front of everyone.

They might have done a poor job on the jury selection as you said. However i don't think political leanings had anything to do with the pool from which to select. All the so called left-wingers (your term) that I know have jobs and work just as hard as you. Having a job doesn't eliminate you from getting a jury summons. Stop making this political against a jury that didn't volunteer for this case, but rather were selected, from a jury pool of all persuasions.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT