ADVERTISEMENT

Gary Barta's Head? Only two...

ukrainehawk

HR All-State
Gold Member
Aug 27, 2005
For all of you who have posted calling for Gary Barta's head, it might interest you to know that, as of yesterday, Iowa is one of only two universities in the United States to put both men's and women's basketball teams in the NCAA tournament, put their football team in a bowl game and finish in the top 5 nationally in Wrestling - as a matter of fact, in the top 2. The other school? Ohio State. Pretty good company.

If you look at men, born in august, over 6 feet, with blue eyes, from iowa, that work for my company I am the only one. (When you make it that specific it lost its appeal. For instance take wrestling, a sport no one outside the midwest cares about, out and now how many are there? The basketball team looks to be in good shap and wbball is solid but football is the bread winner these days and "making a bowl" in 2015 doesnt mean anything other than .500.

Originally posted by ukrainehawk:

For all of you who have posted calling for Gary Barta's head, it might interest you to know that, as of yesterday, Iowa is one of only two universities in the United States to put both men's and women's basketball teams in the NCAA tournament, put their football team in a bowl game and finish in the top 5 nationally in Wrestling - as a matter of fact, in the top 2. The other school? Ohio State. Pretty good company.
Not to come off as a jerk, but I think you are missing the point others were trying to make about Barta. It has nothing to do with current year results and everything to do with the track record of all programs (men and women) under his time as Iowa's AD. Iowa has been consistently at the bottom of the B1G when it comes to the Director's cup and I believe that it was John Miller who pointed out that Iowa athletics has by far the least amount of conference championships over the last several year. Just pathetic and is something that should be considered when reviewing the man's entire portfolio.

lets see how the Baseball team does as Barta HIRED Heller. Heller in his 1st season won 30 games and guided IA to their 1st BT tourney since 2010.

only idiots on this board thinks that Wrestling does not matter outside the Midwest. Wrestling is a very big deal on the East Coast to the SE to the SW.

or in other words it means nothing to those that want Barta fired simply BECAUSE he has not FIRED KF and for no other reason.

so he hired Lick BIG DEAL, time to get over it has Barta ALSO FIRED Lick after just 3 seasons and HIRED Fran who guided the Hawks to their 1st Tourney win in what 14 years?

Originally posted by Hawkeye2222:

only idiots on this board thinks that Wrestling does not matter outside the Midwest. Wrestling is a very big deal on the East Coast to the SE to the SW.
Your the one's that is delusional, only the B1G foot print cares about wrestling. The SEC,Pac 12 and ACC could careless and the majority of teams in those conferences don't even have a wrestling program including some Big 12 schools.

Originally posted by InsaneHawk:

Not to come off as a jerk, but I think you are missing the point others were trying to make about Barta. It has nothing to do with current year results and everything to do with the track record of all programs (men and women) under his time as Iowa's AD. Iowa has been consistently at the bottom of the B1G when it comes to the Director's cup and I believe that it was John Miller who pointed out that Iowa athletics has by far the least amount of conference championships over the last several year. Just pathetic and is something that should be considered when reviewing the man's entire portfolio.

Is it really pathetic? Maybe a slight over reaction?
Have you reviewed the man's entire portfolio? How are his investments doing? Oh, did you mean reviewing his collection of paintings or drawings? How do they look? What does that have to do with his performance as an athletic director? You obviously don't know what portfolio means. The word you were probably looking for is 'dossier'.
You know me, always trying to help. Wouldn't want you to look like an idiot.
wink.r191677.gif

Originally posted by MattFoleyHawk:
Originally posted by InsaneHawk:

Is it really pathetic? Maybe a slight over reaction?
Have you reviewed the man's entire portfolio? How are his investments doing? Oh, did you mean reviewing his collection of paintings or drawings? How do they look? What does that have to do with his performance as an athletic director? You obviously don't know what portfolio means. The word you were probably looking for is 'dossier'.
You know me, always trying to help. Wouldn't want you to look like an idiot.
wink.r191677.gif
I heard a farting noise, did you say something?

Your pretty brave coming here and posting something positive. You know this will never fly with the folks around here.

I remember what the Kool-Aid tastes like.

Actually, folks, the reason I posted this was that I read something on Yahoo that pointed out that Iowa was one of only fifteen universities in America that had both the men and women in the NC 2A's and had also gone to a bowl game this year. I just thought it was fun to add in the Wrestling tournament to get that list down to two. The Bucks and the Hawks. Kinda cool.

I know that this won't placate the fans who are really hurting have made their minds up - but I thought it might at least be something warm and fuzzy for the rest of us, who don't necessarily drink the Kool-Aid, but still remember what it tastes like.

Go Hawks.

Now look at the last 10 years. Does he get 9 mulligans? We are in dead last in the BIG 10 for the directors cup in 6 of the last 8 years posted in his wiki profile...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Barta

Re: Gary Barta's Head? Only two...

As a fan for me it's all about football and men's basketball. Those are the money makers. Basketball he's been average. Fran hasn't been great but he's been good. The Lick hire was awful. I can't think of anything positive he's done for football. Football by far is the most important sport and Barta has done what for it? The lifetime contract has crippled this football program. Iowa should have a new football coach this year but because of the contract they can't afford to change coaches.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Lol OP included wrestling. Of course, that limits the discussion to just about no teams.

Football is a joke. One of the worst Power conference teams outside of KU/ISU. Compete nationally against the mighty MAC for recruits. In desperate need of talent, brings in a class almost entirely compared of Iowa players. A joke!

Serious question besides Football and Basketball, any other sport in the black when it comes to revenue?

I would quess maybe wrestling.

For Nebraska 3 sports are in the black when it comes to revenue making. wrestling cost Nebraska (2013-2014) -1,094,543

Originally posted by Hawkeye2222:

lets see how the Baseball team does as Barta HIRED Heller. Heller in his 1st season won 30 games and guided IA to their 1st BT tourney since 2010.

or in other words it means nothing to those that want Barta fired simply BECAUSE he has not FIRED KF and for no other reason.

so he hired Lick BIG DEAL, time to get over it has Barta ALSO FIRED Lick after just 3 seasons and HIRED Fran who guided the Hawks to their 1st Tourney win in what 14 years?
He PASSED on Heller the first opportunity he had and we all know how Dahm worked out.

Originally posted by dawgs_04:
Lol OP included wrestling. Of course, that limits the discussion to just about no teams.

Football is a joke. One of the worst Power conference teams outside of KU/ISU. Compete nationally against the mighty MAC for recruits. In desperate need of talent, brings in a class almost entirely compared of Iowa players. A joke!

The only 'joke' is your posts. At least I hope they're a joke, because you can't possibly be this benighted and gauche.
And the word you are looking for is 'comprised', not 'compared', lol. (not even close)
If I didn't know better, I would think you were trying to appear puerile on purpose.
3dsmile.r191677.gif

For someone who used 'tweeter' in another post you might want to slow down on your corrections.

Originally posted by cidhawkeye:
For someone who used 'tweeter' in another post you might want to slow down on your corrections.
That was a joke. For us older people who don't do it, we make fun of it by calling it different names. There was an old coach who one time in an interview said, "I wouldn't know twitter from tweedle dee and tweedle dum". About how I feel:)

Originally posted by scarletred:
Serious question besides Football and Basketball, any other sport in the black when it comes to revenue?

For Nebraska 3 sports are in the black when it comes to revenue making. wrestling cost Nebraska (2013-2014) -1,094,543

iowa wrestling does not make money.

Football is a joke. One of the worst Power conference teams outside of KU/ISU. Compete nationally against the mighty MAC for recruits. In desperate need of talent, brings in a class almost entirely
compared of Iowa players. A joke!

The only 'joke' is your posts. At least I hope they're a joke, because you can't possibly be this benighted and gauche.

And the word you are looking for is 'comprised', not 'compared', lol. (not even close)

If I didn't know better, I would think you were trying to appear puerile on purpose.
3dsmile.r191677.gif

Oh no! How dare I make a post on my phone that autocorrects words occasionally.

Also would like to know the answer to this question.

Football is a joke. One of the worst Power conference teams outside of KU/ISU. Compete nationally against the mighty MAC for recruits. In desperate need of talent, brings in a class almost entirely
compared of Iowa players. A joke!

3dsmile.r191677.gif

Oh no! How dare I make a post on my phone that autocorrects words occasionally.

Your phone 'autocorrected' the whole body of your work? You typed in that 'Iowa hopefully can recruit better' and your phone changed it too "Footbal" is a joke', etc........
blush.r191677.gif

See, before cell phones and message boards, people used to do this really cool thing called 'thinking'. They would
not just blurt out every inane musing that popped into their head, but would take the time to ponder their validity. I miss those days......

What makes you think basketball is in the black?

Originally posted by FG86:

I think football and men's basketball are generally the only two sports that finish in the black, at most schools, including Iowa and ISU.

I think wrestling broke even at Iowa City one year, several years ago, and it was primarily because Iowa hosted the NCAA championships.

What sports are in the black at Nebraska? I would be surprised if there were more than two. And until recently, I would have been surprised if there were any besides football.

Nebraska gets some pretty amazing volleyball attendance, right? And as one who has now lived in Minnesota, Illinois, and Wisconsin after moving from Iowa, I don't think anyone cares much about wrestling outside of Iowa. Maybe Pennsylvania or Oklahoma?

"If it were based on dollars, I would cut all but 2 sports - Football and Men's Basketball" Gary Barta

Do you know what the difference is with men's hoops? New blood

Wrestling - same, went from a good coach that wanted to win but was losing fans and momentum and changed to a fireball in Brands, viola - wins (and butts in seats again).

Women's hoops, if a home NCAA tournament game only brings in 7k fans - well it's women's.

Baseball - new blood and off to the best start in school history (even got votes from coaches for the first time in a LOOOONG time).

Football is falling into irrelevancy, KF goes so does Barta - it will be 2 for 1 deal.

Barta can't see beyond KF's contract as it has Barta making money as well - Barta is a fund raiser, a good one and that is about all.

Originally posted by HAWK-N-402 (4):
For instance take wrestling, a sport no one outside the midwest cares about, out and now how many are there?
You don't know anything about wrestling then. Check out NJ, Pennsylvania, Ohio, California...hell even Utah has been cranking out good wrestlers.

Originally posted by iceland:
Nebraska gets some pretty amazing volleyball attendance, right? And as one who has now lived in Minnesota, Illinois, and Wisconsin after moving from Iowa, I don't think anyone cares much about wrestling outside of Iowa. Maybe Pennsylvania or Oklahoma?
Yes, but it takes a lot to make money.

Example: Iowa State's WBB program is annually among the nation's leaders in attendance, and usually hosts an NCAA tournament. Despite that, the last time I checked, the program lost around $700,000 a year.

That was a joke. For us older people who don't do it, we make fun of it by calling it different names. There was an old coach who one time in an interview said, "I wouldn't know twitter from tweedle dee and tweedle dum". About how I feel:)
Didn't you say you were no longer going to post on here?

Originally posted by Lone Clone:

What sports are in the black at Nebraska? I would be surprised if there were more than two. And until recently, I would have been surprised if there were any besides football.
Women's Volleyball revenue was + 577,601 Men's Basketball a little over 2 million.

Originally posted by hawkssox1:

Didn't you say you were no longer going to post on here?
YOU'RE THE WINNER!!! YOU ARE THE HUNDRETH PERSON TO ASK THIS QUESTION!!!
BEANS AND RICE, WHERE DO YOU PEOPLE COME FROM? EITHER READ THE POSTS AND KEEP UP OR JUST SHUT UP.
THANK YOU...

Women's Volleyball revenue was + 577,601 Men's Basketball a little over 2 million.
Is that revenue, or net? I think it just about has to be gross revenues.

In 2012, the last numbers I could find, Nebraska volleyball attendance for the year was about 78,000. Student tickets were $6, general admission $8 and reserved tickets $10. If 60% of the crowd was students, 20% were in reserved seats and 20% were general admission, ticket revenues for the season would have been about $562,000. It seems pretty clear the $577,000 figure is total gross revenues, not profit.

Besides, it just makes sense even if you don't do the math. NU averaged about 4,200 at home. The same year, ISU women's basketball averaged 9,900 at home.....and lost nearly $1 million. There's just no way NU volleyball could have made money.

Lone clone, All I can tell you is the information was from the Omaha World Herald and it was on the front page on Jan18th Sunday edition.

From what the article said only Hawaii and Nebraska were the only 2 schools that made money in Women's Volleyball.

I understand there are good high school wrestlers that come from all over the country however the vast majority of college s that care about wrestling are in the midwest.

Originally posted by FG86:

I think football and men's basketball are generally the only two sports that finish in the black, at most schools, including Iowa and ISU.

I think wrestling broke even at Iowa City one year, several years ago, and it was primarily because Iowa hosted the NCAA championships.
Iowa's 2015 budget shows bb in the red.

Lone clone, All I can tell you is the information was from the Omaha World Herald and it was on the front page on Jan18th Sunday edition.

From what the article said only Hawaii and Nebraska were the only 2 schools that made money in Women's Volleyball.
No questioning your honesty, scarletred. Nor accusing anybody of anything untoward.

But I think it's pretty obvious that the beans are not being counted in the same way by the counters at the various schools. If the numbers from the NCAA regarding attendance are right, and the numbers from the UNL web site about ticket prices are right, then the only way the $577,000 would be profit is that there were zero expenses -- no travel, no scholarships, no uniforms, no coaching salaries, not even any toilet paper.

Not a big deal, although it's curious.

No questioning your honesty, scarletred. Nor accusing anybody of anything untoward.

But I think it's pretty obvious that the beans are not being counted in the same way by the counters at the various schools. If the numbers from the NCAA regarding attendance are right, and the numbers from the UNL web site about ticket prices are right, then the only way the $577,000 would be profit is that there were zero expenses -- no travel, no scholarships, no uniforms, no coaching salaries, not even any toilet paper.

I can tell you that the Devaney center holds just barely under 8,000 and that is the new home of Women's Volleyball and Wrestling.
Also ticket holders have to pay a fee to get seating priority.

I can tell you that the Devaney center holds just barely under 8,000 and that is the new home of Women's Volleyball and Wrestling.
Also ticket holders have to pay a fee to get seating priority.
I have solved the mystery. NU volleyball did indeed make a profit last year.

The numbers I used regarding attendance were wrong, as was the information about ticket prices. Actually, not wrong, just out of date. As I said, they came from 2012. The team moved to the different facility in '13, attendance doubled and ticket prices were increased 50%.

I'm linking a story about it.

This xplains it

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT