ADVERTISEMENT

Gary Dolphin to retire...

The article indicates Gary will stay with Learfield Sports. When I read the headline I thought he was retiring from broadcasting.

thatsthejoke.jpg

Honestly had no idea he did anything else. Interesting.

Short of nationally recognized figures, I think it surprises many people to know how little money there is to be made in broadcasting. I'd be surprised if Gary's take from Learfield on a yearly basis cracks 5 figures.

Short of nationally recognized figures, I think it surprises many people to know how little money there is to be made in broadcasting. I'd be surprised if Gary's take from Learfield on a yearly basis cracks 5 figures.
I would be surprised to find out the "Voice of the Hawkeyes", makes less than $10K for his football and basketball gigs.

Honestly, he should just retire altogether. Maybe get a gig as a Hawkeye Ambassador. I know he’s a great guy, loyal Hawkeye, but it sure would be nice to know what’s going on during the games.
Gary does a good job of describing a play..........after it happens (or while another play is happening).

Reactions: 4IUSox2

Hmmm, well 63 other people applied for the job. He also turned down the Chicago Bears job offer a few years ago. I do voicework/voice acting as a side career the last fifteen years, methinks YOU would be surprised the money that can be made.

Reactions: anon_i8nzeu2gbf0ba

Anything over $0 is a bonus. I’m sure there’s plenty of drawbacks to being “The Voice of the Hawkeyes”, but traveling around with Iowa Basketball and Football would be awesome. You don’t have to be good at your job as long as Eddie and Bobby are there to pick you up and correct you.

The IClub circuit would probably suck, but none of that’s out pocket besides your time. The trade off is well worth it.

Hmmm, well 63 other people applied for the job. He also turned down the Chicago Bears job offer a few years ago. I do voicework/voice acting as a side career the last fifteen years, methinks YOU would be surprised the money that can be made.

We're talking about two different talents here. The fact that there is so much interest in that job actually would supplement my point in explaining why pay would be quite low, at least in terms of the check cut by Learfield. But let's think about this, he's 67 and retired after 32 years working for a large bank, he does endorsements on the side as well, which would be an indirect way of capitalizing on his talent. Those things alone would suggest that the play-by-play work alone isn't really a full-time gig and doesn't come with a full-time salary.

We're talking about two different talents here. The fact that there is so much interest in that job actually would supplement my point in explaining why pay would be quite low, at least in terms of the check cut by Learfield. But let's think about this, he's 67 and retired after 32 years working for a large bank, he does endorsements on the side as well, which would be an indirect way of capitalizing on his talent. Those things alone would suggest that the play-by-play work alone isn't really a full-time gig and doesn't come with a full-time salary.
There's some middle ground between "Full Time Salary" and "$10,000."

Of course its a contracted gig, I get that. I'm sure his compensation for broadcasts, call in shows and appearances are all separate. But yes, you are correct, vastly different talents to be sure. On the surface, it appears the compensation is vastly different as well.

A quick internet search shows Learfield broadcasters earn, on average, about 35K a year with the top 10% earning over 47K. No idea where Dolphin would category would fall into.

Of course its a contracted gig, I get that. I'm sure his compensation for broadcasts, call in shows and appearances are all separate. But yes, you are correct, vastly different talents to be sure. On the surface, it appears the compensation is vastly different as well.

A quick internet search shows Learfield broadcasters earn, on average, about 35K a year with the top 10% earning over 47K. No idea where Dolphin would category would fall into.
Link?

Just curious where you found that.

Funny. Not. He recently did the emceeing in Carroll when the town honored Nick Nurse

Why isn’t it funny? I support him, I was poking fun at the ridiculous reaction to his fictional monster reference.. I think you are confused.

He does endorsements on the side as well, which would be an indirect way of capitalizing on his talent. Those things alone would suggest that the play-by-play work alone isn't really a full-time gig and doesn't come with a full-time salary.

Then I guess Michael Jordan, LeBron, Tiger, and all those other pro athletes and entertainers who do endorsements aren't making much at their primary gigs. LOL

Then I guess Michael Jordan, LeBron, Tiger, and all those other pro athletes and entertainers who do endorsements aren't making much at their primary gigs. LOL

A pretty feeble comparison, I don't think Gary is the Michael Jordan/Tiger Woods of radio broadcasting. In terms of their career earnings, the prize money/contracts for actually playing their sports were/are indeed a rather small percentage of their current fortune.

A pretty feeble comparison, I don't think Gary is the Michael Jordan/Tiger Woods of radio broadcasting. In terms of their career earnings, the prize money/contracts for actually playing their sports were/are indeed a rather small percentage of their current fortune.

You think he does 25+ basketball games and 12+ football games for $10,000 per year?

LMAO

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT