ADVERTISEMENT

Gary Dolphin. ..

He is seriously aweful. Today I had to run to C-Store quick and he missed an entire play of the game on the radio.

Yeah but then you realize you're listening to Wisconsin and Minnesota guys talk about their teams........nobody wants to hear that.
Maybe it's just me, but I like to listen to an objective play by play and I can interpret the on the field play off that. The Minny and Wisky guys give yardage/down/LOS after every play. There will be stretches where Dolphin has the wrong LOS, doesn't give down/distance, and goes into some stupid advertiser goofy rant.
Unfortunately with the arrangement with Leerfield and the University...Iowa fans have no other options on the radio broadcast.

Reactions: gbaby0629
Maybe it's just me, but I like to listen to an objective play by play and I can interpret the on the field play off that. The Minny and Wisky guys give yardage/down/LOS after every play. There will be stretches where Dolphin has the wrong LOS, doesn't give down/distance, and goes into some stupid advertiser goofy rant.
Unfortunately with the arrangement with Leerfield and the University...Iowa fans have no other options on the radio broadcast.

What's just as bad is the stupid post game show with Dolph and then Jim Albrecht. Can we just get the player and coaching interviews and then get onto the real post game show in SoundOff???

Reactions: MitchL
Maybe it's just me, but I like to listen to an objective play by play and I can interpret the on the field play off that.
This right here. Had to listen to the game while driving to Minnesota today. Between Dolph's completely inaccurate narration and Ed's abandoned sentences, I chose to follow the second half by ESPN gamecast. And ESPN gamecast sucks.

The fumble by Easly wasn't a fumble. The call on AW's TD pass was awful.

Much as I'd like to agree, Easely did fumble before he crossed. I watched the replays and had to give it up. Sucks.

The call on AW was pretty bad...but it didn't cost us 7. We scored on that drive.

Reactions: td77
I know this thread comes up often but after having to listen to two and a half quarters of him in the car today I can see why it does. The guy just doesn't have it and at this point never will. I even did a search on my XM to see if I could find either the North Texas play by play or neutral announcers.

Much as I'd like to agree, Easely did fumble before he crossed. I watched the replays and had to give it up. Sucks.

The call on AW was pretty bad...but it didn't cost us 7. We scored on that drive.
I went back and looked at the Easly fumble. I don't know how they can tell that the ball came out before he crossed the LOS. I forgot that we still scored after AWs penalty.

Reactions: terrehawk
What a putz. Asked fans not to complain on the post game call in shows.

Butt kissing homer.
I didn't hear him say that and have never heard anything like that, but I do want to say, college announcers are supposed to be for the teams that pay them to the announcing..

Dolphin is obviously afraid to be objective on the broadcast because he does the coaches show and other things associated with the team, and specifically the coaches.

I don't think it's asking too much for a person in his position to get a proper description of what's happening on the field.

Then his rants about the officials and play reviews just made the entire broadcast unbearable to listen to.

One other thing... GaryBoy, football played after halftime is NOT the second quarter! It's called THE SECOND HALF.! JFC

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
I didn't hear him say that and have never heard anything like that, but I do want to say, college announcers are supposed to be for the teams that pay them to the announcing..
With a minute left to play... that's exactly what he said.

Podolak even joked... "Well, I'm not going to call in and complain".

I listen to Dolph and Eddie while watching the game in Kinnick to get injury updates and other information. It is hilarious when they have no clue who is actually on the field. Early in today's game Dolph announced that Wadley was running instead of Butler, then said Buzata was hurt when it was Anthony Nelson.

Then in the second half he repeatedly mixed up Young and Kelly-Martin, and it took several plays before they realized Wirfs was playing. I do not know if Eddie is supposed to spot these things or if they both are, but they really have little clue about who is playing in the game on a given play. Would be brutal to listen to them if you are not also watching the game live to actually know what is going on.

It's at least marginally better than the guy out west implying every official in every game in the Big 12 or vs. IOWA is rigged against Iowa State as a result of either bribery or death threats.

Unless, of course, they lose by 40.

What a putz. Asked fans not to complain on the post game call in shows.

Butt kissing homer.
The thing about him that has always made me wonder how he keeps his job is that he's utterly incompetent on the play-by-play. Unless you have been listening nonstop -- for instance, if you were doing something else and tuned in to see how the Hawks were doing, as a lot of us do -- you have no freaking idea of the score, who has the ball, what the down is, where the ball is....nothing. Yesterday he referred to a fumble, but never said who recovered it or what the situation was.

I don't mind him being a homer. Most play-by-play guys are homers. They could lose their jobs if they weren't. But for crying out loud, tell listeners WTF is happening.

Problem is Dolph gets shit canned before, during and after the games.. his tunge gets rather thick with Podalak and they get rip roarin drunk so they sound like half wits about 2 quarters into the game

this.....was just going to post similar sentiments.

Gary likes beer.....ever notice how he is overly negative at times about dumb chit? goes from homer to super negative superlatives at the drop of a hat.

Gary and Ed need to retire and allow some competent professional guys handle the radio reigns.

I am done venting, but I'm glad I'm not the only one that gets frustrated trying to follow his play by play... if you want to call it that.;)

Reactions: RocknRollface
We were spoiled when we had Zabel (my guy) Brooks, Gander and Mitchell to choose from. I like Gary as at least he's cut from the same cloth as the above mentioned. People do realize that we'll have some sterile corporate suit when Gary's gone right?

Reactions: iowa surfer
Problem is Dolph gets shit canned before, during and after the games.. his tunge gets rather thick with Podalak and they get rip roarin drunk so they sound like half wits about 2 quarters into the game

Any suggestion that Gary Dolphin is drunk while doing the broadcast is nothing short of irresponsible. I won't pretend that he's an elite broadcaster but claiming that he's "in the bag" for the broadcast demonstrates stupidity to the highest degree.

As for Podolak, the guy has forgotten more about football than this Board will ever know. There is no question that the guy knows the game.

Listening to him call a game without video is brutal. I listen to Wisconsin and Gopher games from Leerfield and, in comparison, Dolphin is a DISTANT 3rd in quality of broadcast.

This is correct, though to be fair, Matt Lepay (Wisconsin) is one of the best in college sports nationwide. Dolph consistently screws up descriptions of what's unfolding on the field, including very frequent misidentification of players. It even happens in basketball, when the players are 10 feet in front of him. IMO, a broadcast booth including Ed Podolak only works if he's got an extremely competent play by play man to guide the conversation somewhat. Iowa's current duo just sounds like a couple cheerleaders watching the game from home.

Somebody said Gary said on air yesterday when things werent going well that he was going to the bar. He and Eddie do like to tip em back once in a while

Usually I enjoy those 2 but I noticed yesterday several blunders on one play he said Daniels with the carry when actually it was it was young or Martin

ADVERTISEMENT