ADVERTISEMENT

Gary Dolphin. ..

Any suggestion that Gary Dolphin is drunk while doing the broadcast is nothing short of irresponsible. I won't pretend that he's an elite broadcaster but claiming that he's "in the bag" for the broadcast demonstrates stupidity to the highest degree.

As for Podolak, the guy has forgotten more about football than this Board will ever know. There is no question that the guy knows the game.

you are naive

The thing about him that has always made me wonder how he keeps his job is that he's utterly incompetent on the play-by-play. Unless you have been listening nonstop -- for instance, if you were doing something else and tuned in to see how the Hawks were doing, as a lot of us do -- you have no freaking idea of the score, who has the ball, what the down is, where the ball is....nothing. Yesterday he referred to a fumble, but never said who recovered it or what the situation was.

I don't mind him being a homer. Most play-by-play guys are homers. They could lose their jobs if they weren't. But for crying out loud, tell listeners WTF is happening.

He just cant concentrate on keeping it simple and focused.

Half the time he calls what he was hoping would happen rather than what actually happened then he wastes more time making excuses for why it didnt happen that way.

Its basically like just listening to a guy watching a game in a bar in the 50s.

Reactions: MitchL
Listening to Dolph vs listening to an NFL game with actual professional announcers is night and day better.

Dolph would get shit canned so fast, NFL teams wouldn't put up with his ineptitude.

I don't think Iowa has a choice though. they contract Leerfield sports and they choose the announcers.

If up to this fan the contract would be put up for a bid. It would be hard to find two worse announcers than Dolph and Ed.

Reactions: QChawks and MitchL
We were spoiled when we had Zabel (my guy) Brooks, Gander and Mitchell to choose from. I like Gary as at least he's cut from the same cloth as the above mentioned. People do realize that we'll have some sterile corporate suit when Gary's gone right?
Zabel was terrible.....end of story. Nothing personally against GD, but Iowa fans deserve better.

I'd almost pay money to hear Dolph and Ed do a Texas Tech/Okie State game...

Dolph - "kick is taken at the goal line... say buddy boy, what did you eat this morning at the diner? It looked good.... blah... blah... blah.... etc."

Ed - "I hate mustard on my sandwiches. Why do they put so much mustard on 'em?"

Dolph - "That's a good question buddy boy. I like more mayonnaise on my ham and swiss... blah... blah... blah... etc."

(Rabid cheering in the background followed by massive booing... then a muffled ref announcement of a penalty of some sort)

Dolph - "This is shaping up to be a good game"

Ed - "Tech needs to run the ball more"

Dolph - "Right you are buddy boy..."

Dolph - "we'll be right back after this officials time out. 21-17 is the score... both teams look sharp."

Dolphin asking people not to call in and complain...meanwhile you listen to him call a basketball game and you (he) misses stretches of game play because he is complaining about officiating.

Stick with something/somebody way too long.... until everybody else sees how bad it is.... and only then, begrudgingly ...make a change.

Sound familiar?

I was a spotter for Zabel and Podolak many years ago. It could very well be his spotters are feeding him bad info or at least are slow getting it to him. No excuse for a lot of his problems I know but missing on names could be result of poor spotting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Herkmeister
I was a spotter for Zabel and Podolak many years ago. It could very well be his spotters are feeding him bad info or at least are slow getting it to him. No excuse for a lot of his problems I know but missing on names could be result of poor spotting.
So let's hear some stories!!!!

What do they drink on the air? :cool:

Early in 2nd quarter of Iowa vs the team from Lames, Eddy even had one play he didn't bother to call. After it was over he simply stated that he didn't know what to say and that he was sorry he'd omitted that call.
Long in the tooth - know he loves his Hawkeyes, but fans deserve better.

I'd almost pay money to hear Dolph and Ed do a Texas Tech/Okie State game...

Dolph - "kick is taken at the goal line... say buddy boy, what did you eat this morning at the diner? It looked good.... blah... blah... blah.... etc."

Ed - "I hate mustard on my sandwiches. Why do they put so much mustard on 'em?"

Dolph - "That's a good question buddy boy. I like more mayonnaise on my ham and swiss... blah... blah... blah... etc."

(Rabid cheering in the background followed by massive booing... then a muffled ref announcement of a penalty of some sort)

Dolph - "This is shaping up to be a good game"

Ed - "Tech needs to run the ball more"

Dolph - "Right you are buddy boy..."

Dolph - "we'll be right back after this officials time out. 21-17 is the score... both teams look sharp."
Yeah, yeah, yeah...but are they in the "case/IH red zone or was it a Menard's hammerhead tackle?

Good point. Few understand the importance of good spotters. They can make a guy look great by feeding him good info...or bad by screwing up.

Early in 2nd quarter of Iowa vs the team from Lames, Eddy even had one play he didn't bother to call. After it was over he simply stated that he didn't know what to say and that he was sorry he'd omitted that call.
Long in the tooth - know he loves his Hawkeyes, but fans deserve better.

Yep, Dolphs a great guy with a perfect radio voice but hes just not a competent play by play guy.

Reactions: QChawks and MitchL
Good point. Few understand the importance of good spotters. They can make a guy look great by feeding him good info...or bad by screwing up.

I'd like to think if the spotters were the main problem for Dolphin's lack of play-by-play calling...that simple fix would have been made years ago.

I remember being at a wedding (therefore had to miss the Iowa game)....right after the "I-do's" a group of us ran outside to catch the score of the Iowa game. Although we ended up pulling up the score on our phones....Gary did not say the score for a 17 minute period. 17 minutes!

Reactions: RocknRollface
I went back and looked at the Easly fumble. I don't know how they can tell that the ball came out before he crossed the LOS. I forgot that we still scored after AWs penalty.
You also can't tell that it didn't. The ruling on the field was fumble so they needed INDISPUTABLE video evidence to reverse. Didn't have it.

Maybe there's another issue. Dolphin made a comment about looking thru HIS binoculars. Perhaps he doesn't have spotters and he's screwing up by spending time doing his own and missing plays because of that?
Face it, guys...we are stuck with him until he does something off air to get terminated or retires on his own.

It is interesting reading the comments about Gary's work. I don't live in the area so I have to find the Iowa games on TV. The same in the Zabel era. How does Gary compare to Jim Zabel? I heard Zabel broaddcast a couple of Iowa games years ago. He was horrible, a "5" on a scale of 0 to 100, 0 being low.

It is interesting reading the comments about Gary's work. I don't live in the area so I have to find the Iowa games on TV. The same in the Zabel era. How does Gary compare to Jim Zabel? I heard Zabel broaddcast a couple of Iowa games years ago. He was horrible, a "5" on a scale of 0 to 100, 0 being low.

Zabel was our version of Harry Carry. He was an icon way past his prime. Zabel's close connection to the University (he was editor of the Daily Iowan when Kinnick's plane went down and wrote the article for the DI) has a lot to do with his "lengthy" career. Ed bailed him out a lot on his broadcasts in the later years.

Last edited:
You also can't tell that it didn't. The ruling on the field was fumble so they needed INDISPUTABLE video evidence to reverse. Didn't have it.
Ruling on the the field was TD. They actually reversed the call. Unless the ref that was signaling TD at the pylon was overruled.

Ok, I lied. one more thing to bitch about regarding Leerfield. ..there was an ad with Dan Gable promoting tax reform that played during the game. The sponsor might have been Citizens United or some other PAC?
Jeebus Keerist!! Political bs during a football game?

Ruling on the the field was TD. They actually reversed the call. Unless the ref that was signaling TD at the pylon was overruled.
Yeah, you're right. I messed that up so the play should NOT have been overturned based on the videos we saw on TV. Maybe the replay guys have more magical stuff. Or maybe the replay officials were as bad as the ones on the field.

No stories from me. I sat between Zabel and Podolak as their spotter for 7 years. Never saw anything but complete professionalism from either one while in the booth. Stories while outside the booth are another matter .

Reactions: VicHawkeye
Dolph is not a drinker. Irresponsible posts. I've been with him multiple times at dinners and talks and he rarely has a drink, if any.

I'd like to think if the spotters were the main problem for Dolphin's lack of play-by-play calling...that simple fix would have been made years ago.

I remember being at a wedding (therefore had to miss the Iowa game)....right after the "I-do's" a group of us ran outside to catch the score of the Iowa game. Although we ended up pulling up the score on our phones....Gary did not say the score for a 17 minute period. 17 minutes!
Another Dolph favorite is as the ball is snapped his voice hypes up and he screams ..."he's got the corner (or hole up the middle) there's a cut, and he's brought down. He got three on that run." What? Why get so excited for what turns out to be a short gain? Over and over. And if he get's a guest in the booth you might as well kiss game coverage goodbye for half of a quarter! So much more. Basketball also.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT