ADVERTISEMENT

Gary Dolphin. ..

No stories from me. I sat between Zabel and Podolak as their spotter for 7 years. Never saw anything but complete professionalism from either one while in the booth. Stories while outside the booth are another matter .

Wow, I would love to have had that job.

I do have a great Zabel story to share. I lived in Quad back in the 80s...it was crazy. A bunch of guys started the "Jim Zabel fan club". (tongue in cheek) We had membership cards printed up, etc...and tried to get in touch with "Z" a number of times. A few of the guys were from Des Moines and had some connections that finally got a response.

Zabel agreed to come to a dinner "in his honor". We secured a banquet room in Quad dining the night of a home basketball game. (games were right across the street in the fieldhouse). Not sure whether we had permission or not, but there was plenty of booze at the "dinner"...and about maybe 60-70 guys there. Zable shows up way late... most everybody was trashed by then. But when he walks in, the place explodes. He takes the mic, talks about the Hawks for 10 minutes, tells a handfull of dirty jokes and leaves to thunderous applause... just in time to get to his pregame broadcast across the street.

A night I'll never forget.

Last edited:
Reactions: VicHawkeye
Dolph is not a drinker. Irresponsible posts. I've been with him multiple times at dinners and talks and he rarely has a drink, if any.
I think fans are just trying to figure out why the quality of his broadcasts is so bad and getting worse.

When Iowa and Iowa State played on the early pregame the Iowa Announcers were talking to State announcers and they all agreed Zabel had Alligator arms when it came time to pickup tab it was funny

Reactions: HawkIDrummer
If we took a shot every time Gary Dolphin says 'stop and go' move, we'd be drunk waving to the children at the end of the first quarter.

I listen to Dolph every game because at least I know he's on the Hawkeyes side. Too often do I hear announcers sound as if they're against the Hawkeyes to some extent, and I got sick of it.

I do find Dolph hard to listen to at times as I find myself saying out loud "the hell is happening?" Because he's too busy trying to be clever or explaining things too much. Regardless, I find myself chucking a handful of times each game from the funny nicknames or phrases he churns out with Ed.

Saying anything bad about Jim Zabel should be a hanging crime. Jim was there for every great moment in Hawkeye sports for something like 70 years. And he LOVED IT!

Would be funny to know if guys like Dolphin or Ed ever read these forums. I suspect they do, or at least know about them. Not that it will help to improve the quality of the broadcast.
That said...we all love Hawk football. For me this week, I won't be tortured because I have the opportunity to watch on ABC.

What a putz. Asked fans not to complain on the post game call in shows.

Butt kissing homer.
People pile on Dolf I challenge you to listen to a game done by Zabel and you didn't even know had the ball but did have the I love it phrase. On his post game call in shows he would simply hang up if you said even a remote negative Iowa statement. Give Dolf a break.

Dolph is not a drinker. Irresponsible posts. I've been with him multiple times at dinners and talks and he rarely has a drink, if any.

I know a guy that's been with him at bowl games. He has firsthand stories of getting hammered with Dolph. So one of two things - either he quit drinking maybe 4-5 years ago, or he waits until his duties are done for the day? Either one could explain your experiences.

By the way, nothing wrong with liking your drinks. I love mine!

People pile on Dolf I challenge you to listen to a game done by Zabel and you didn't even know had the ball but did have the I love it phrase. On his post game call in shows he would simply hang up if you said even a remote negative Iowa statement. Give Dolf a break.
I'm sure he doesn't intentionally torture us, but it is still frustrating trying to follow his broadcast without video.
Whether I like the guy or not is irrelevant.

Speaking of the radio broadcast, does anyone know where I can stream the broadcasts free? It appears my previous source, the TuneIn app is now charging a “premium” for the college broadcasts. It might not be a bad deal because the cost includes the NFL games too. I’m a Hawkeye and Vikings fan living near Key West. I find myself listening to the games live when I’m on my bike or kayaking. Thank you!

Speaking of the radio broadcast, does anyone know where I can stream the broadcasts free? It appears my previous source, the TuneIn app is now charging a “premium” for the college broadcasts. It might not be a bad deal because the cost includes the NFL games too. I’m a Hawkeye and Vikings fan living near Key West. I find myself listening to the games live when I’m on my bike or kayaking. Thank you!
the games should be broadcast live (radio broadcast) again this year on youtube

ADVERTISEMENT