ADVERTISEMENT

Gary Parrish: Garza admits"it would be hard to walk away,” which makes Iowa a True Title Contender

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Really nice story from CBS Sports.com.

Luka has until until Aug. 3 to withdraw from the NBA Draft.

Where does Luka need to improve, according to the NBA people he's talking to?

"Lateral quickness — being able to guard ball-screens better," he answered. "And being more vocal. A lot of the focus is on the defensive end and the athleticism side. The teams I've talked to understand I'm not the most athletic player, and I never will be. But I can make improvements and find a way to get it done."

LINK TO the Full STORY: https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...e-hard-to-walk-away-from-dream-senior-season/

Last edited:
Really nice story from CBS Sports.com.

Where does Luka need to improve, according to the NBA people he's talking to?

"Lateral quickness — being able to guard ball-screens better," he answered. "And being more vocal. A lot of the focus is on the defensive end and the athleticism side. The teams I've talked to understand I'm not the most athletic player, and I never will be. But I can make improvements and find a way to get it done."

LINK TO the Full STORY: https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...e-hard-to-walk-away-from-dream-senior-season/

It sounds like Luka is taking advantage of the process afforded him. Might as well.

Unless he's in a hurry to make the jump to the next level, which sounds like it'd be the G-League, he'll be back in a Hawkeye uniform for '20-'21. I think the only caveat is concerns about how COVID affects the college basketball season, which might sway Luka's decision.

Reactions: Hawkeyegrad2006
I believe the NBA has solidified it's plans for the draft and have announced that date as Oct.16th. Now the deadline for withdrawing your name from the draft is Oct.7th.

Please come back Luka! Iowa could have the greatest season in it's history with you back for your senior year. It will be special.

I believe the NBA has solidified it's plans for the draft and have announced that date as Oct.16th. Now the deadline for withdrawing your name from the draft is Oct.7th.
Its August 3rd I believe.

It sounds like Luka is taking advantage of the process afforded him. Might as well.

Unless he's in a hurry to make the jump to the next level, which sounds like it'd be the G-League, he'll be back in a Hawkeye uniform for '20-'21. I think the only caveat is concerns about how COVID affects the college basketball season, which might sway Luka's decision.
so much up in the air right now.

IF the college basketball season gets delayed/canceled yet the pro leagues in Europe are starting up? Who knows what he may decide.

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
Its August 3rd I believe.

Luka has until until Aug. 3 to withdraw from the NBA Draft.

Watch:

According to a report from ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski, the NBA has set a date for the delayed draft as well as when players can withdraw their names. With the draft now set for Oct. 16, players have until Aug. 17 to decide whether to enter the draft or return to the college game.

See here for more: https://247sports.com/Article/2020-NBA-draft-withdrawal-date-college-players--148372995/

Last edited:
Between wrestling and basketball, you couldn't invent sports better designed to spread an airborne virus.

Between wrestling and basketball, you couldn't invent sports better designed to spread an airborne virus.
Why exactly. Even though basketball has certainly become a contact sport, (regardless of supposed rules to the contrary), there is still way more contact in football, (and way more bodies) and in wrestling.

May I ask why you think this? Far less athletes, staff, officials, etc.in bball than fball.
Or is your presumption based on a 2nd wave in the Fall, thus leading to a shutdown?

There isn't any actual scientific evidence that supports a second wave. We're four months in and the infection rate is .007208087179299%. That's already the operational definition of infitnisimal. Obviously contingency plans need to be prepared but for now its just fear generating hysteria about the "second wave".

Too much economic and political pressure on the NCAA from its member institutions to reduce the BBall seasons. They simply need the money. The networks need the product. The networks have the gold. He who has the gold makes the rules.

Edit: the lengthy decimal numbers is cut and paste from a calculator, not a conscious choice of pomposity. Not that I'm not given to pomposity on occasion just not this occasion.

We're four months in and the infection rate is .007208087179299%.

There are 37,685,848 self identified black people in the USA. So a in in ten risk would place the number killed at 3,738,584. A one in a hundred risk would be 373,858. A one in a thousand risk would be 37,385. A one in a million risk would be 3738. A one in ten million risk would be 373.

Those 2 posts are pretty clear indicators that the most basic of mathematical concepts are beyond your comprehension.

Reactions: owenhawk
We may not need a second wave. Evidently we enjoyed the first wave so much, we've decided to extend it by simply ignoring it. In doing so, I believe we have put both the college FB and BB seasons in serious jeopardy.

Reactions: David1979
We may not need a second wave. Evidently we enjoyed the first wave so much, we've decided to extend it by simply ignoring it. In doing so, I believe we have put both the college FB and BB seasons in serious jeopardy.
Well, I don't know that WE have, but unfortunately there are a lot of idiots out there......

There isn't any actual scientific evidence that supports a second wave. We're four months in and the infection rate is .007208087179299%. That's already the operational definition of infitnisimal. Obviously contingency plans need to be prepared but for now its just fear generating hysteria about the "second wave".

Too much economic and political pressure on the NCAA from its member institutions to reduce the BBall seasons. They simply need the money. The networks need the product. The networks have the gold. He who has the gold makes the rules.

Edit: the lengthy decimal numbers is cut and paste from a calculator, not a conscious choice of pomposity. Not that I'm not given to pomposity on occasion just not this occasion.

I didn't state my opinion either way re: a 2nd wave. I was merely guessing as to why the poster (RMH) thought bball was somehow less likely to be played than football when nothing else from a logistics standpoint made any sense in comparing the two sports.

But hey, it's good to know where you personally stand. I'd like to hear from RMH, though.

Please come back Luka! Iowa could have the greatest season in it's history with you back for your senior year. It will be special.

Agreed.

But, no matter what they do, it would not the be the BEST team in Iowa's history.

1986-1987 wins that. 7 future NBA players on that squad.

A decision is coming soon.

Fran: "I think he feels very strongly about his teammates, about wanting to come back... and see what this team is capable of doing."

This is a FREE story from the home page.

Last edited:
I didn't state my opinion either way re: a 2nd wave. I was merely guessing as to why the poster (RMH) thought bball was somehow less likely to be played than football when nothing else from a logistics standpoint made any sense in comparing the two sports.

But hey, it's good to know where you personally stand. I'd like to hear from RMH, though.

I thought I was agreeing with you. You'd have to base such a prediction on fear of a future based on hypothetical, but unlikely, worst case predictions from the same "scientists" that have exaggerated the risk and impact of Covid from the jump. Hence, a significant second wave is not likely.

No significant second wave and the season won't be shortened. Networks need the ad revenue, and, without more federal aid (also unlikely) the NCAA members are going to need money. I could be wrong but I'm probably not.

I hope I was right and we're on the same page. If not, time will disclose which prediction proves the more accurate.

Exactly

A decision is coming soon.

Fran: "I think he feels very strongly about his teammates, about wanting to come back... and see what this team is capable of doing."

This is a FREE story from the home page.

Sounds more and more likely that the big frosh redshirts unless Luka moves on as well. Still a ways from the season. but he's missing work and valuable bonding time being stuck in London.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Agreed.

But, no matter what they do, it would not the be the BEST team in Iowa's history.

I don't know, the 1986-87 team was very good and had a boat load of NBA players but I'd make an argument that the 1969-70 team was right up there. Also the mid 50's teams that actually made it to the college basketball championship should be considered among Iowa's best also.
This coming season will be very interesting if Garza returns for his senior season and if they can play the entire 31 game schedule, without interruptions or without the NCAA tournament canceled this could be Iowa's best team ever. Other then a handful of Big Ten teams, Wisconsin, Michigan St, Michigan, Rutgers, Illinois, and maybe a surprise team along the way, Iowa will not face many teams that will pose any problems. The non-conference schedule is devoid of any real threats witch could change with opponents for the Gavitt game and ACC Challenge still to be announced.
If this team does reach the final four and plays in college basketballs coveted championship game, this team will go down as Iowa's all time great teams, hands down. Until then, the best Iowa basketball team is up for debate because every decade college basketball players evolve, bigger, stronger, more athletic.
As good as the 86-87 team was, they had flaws that showed up at the wrong time, but boy were they fun to watch, the last great Iowa team in the last 33 years, hopefully that will be put to bed after this coming season.....

I thought I was agreeing with you. You'd have to base such a prediction on fear of a future based on hypothetical, but unlikely, worst case predictions from the same "scientists" that have exaggerated the risk and impact of Covid from the jump. Hence, a significant second wave is not likely.

No significant second wave and the season won't be shortened. Networks need the ad revenue, and, without more federal aid (also unlikely) the NCAA members are going to need money. I could be wrong but I'm probably not.

I hope I was right and we're on the same page. If not, time will disclose which prediction proves the more accurate.

Sorry, it didn't come off that way on my initial read.

It certainly is a hypothetical in regards to the future, and nobody has any idea what things will look like come November (exaggerated or not). I'm assuming we'll know even more about this virus, have more effective treatment/therapy, and ideally a more positive outlook.

The NCAA needs football more than basketball in terms of revenue (although both are biggest cash crops), so these next 2-3 months are going to be key. I didn't think in my wildest dreams that TX (Gov Abbott) would scale back after opening things up in May, but here we are today, closing bars again, mandating masks (county-by-county), and reducing capacity.

Regardless of where people stand, let's hope for everyone's sake, we can enjoy some sports entertainment this Fall. We certainly need it.

Agreed.

So if Iowa wins the National Championship in 2020-2021 they wouldn’t be considered the greatest Iowa team ever? Think about it for a second before you answer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT