ADVERTISEMENT

Garza: "I don't think the effort was there."

Tournament time is like a whole new season within the season. It's been an up and down regular season, but this team has proven they can ball with anyone in the country. Regular-season, shmegular-shmeason. It's the next few weeks that really matter.

Reactions: Hawk94Mn
Purdue is in Iowa’s heads and both teams know it. They’re not a better team than Iowa, but they aren’t just beating us. They’re dominating us. If they don’t beat us by shooting lights-out, they can out-hustle and out-rebound is.

This is not a team I have any interest in playing against until next year. We won’t beat them in the BTT, and we won’t beat them in the Dance. They have a huge psychological advantage and Garza can’t beat them by himself.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Luka needs to listen to Painter's post game comments, "We would prefer Garza take the outside shot rather than ripping us inside and drawing fouls".

Makes sense Painter would say that. Garza wasn’t hitting his outside shot last night. Other coaches have had a different experience.

Makes sense Painter would say that. Garza wasn’t hitting his outside shot last night. Other coaches have had a different experience.
i'd have to rewatch but that doesn't sound accurate to me.

he was 2/5 from 3
from 2 he was 7/12, 1 of those 5 misses was a rejection by the rim. don't recall the other 4 misses though
he even had a nice night at the line.

i'd have to rewatch but that doesn't sound accurate to me.

he was 2/5 from 3
from 2 he was 7/12, 1 of those 5 misses was a rejection by the rim. don't recall the other 4 misses though
he even had a nice night at the line.

You’re right, 2 for 5 from the 3. Not sure how the 2’s played out. I like Luka’s outside game, in spite of Painter’s comments.

They made that hard for him to operate inside with those hard double teams. The rest of the team just stood around waiting for him to try and pass out of the double team to them for jump shots. They were not making themselves available nor were the cutting. They did little to help him out. If teams are going to play Garza that way, the other guys need to cut and need to make themselves much more available then they did.

Yeah. Its amazing that Iowa has been able to get away with having no plan for Garza getting doubled besides Garza just taking it one on two.

The guy who's man runs to Garza needs to run to the basket right behind him.

You shouldn't be able to double off of a guard.

Thats what I thought when I read his comment as well. We know he works his ass off, so is he pointing fingers? No doubt he's the leader of this team, so hopefully this will be taken as motivation by his team mates and not be a devisive.

He wasn't working as hard as the bald man, neither was anyone else.

Garza at 90% effort is 2X the other guys. He got 12 rebounds....Kreiner 2, Pemsl 0, Connor got 2-3. Purdue Bourdeaux outrebounded Kreiner, Pemsl, Connor, Fredrick, Bakari combined. JoeW at least showed up on the glass and got 7 rebounds

Joe Touisant had 3 in 16 minutes, but he turned it over as many times.

Honestly, Purdue looks like they have this teams number. I wouldn't want to play Purdue in BTT, probably another loss.

If I was an Iowa player that's the only team I would want to play.

It would be driving me insane to know I couldn't beat that garbage team that everyone else beats.

Well he certainly is in a slump, but I don't know about him launching bombs. You need to have strength to shoot a normal jump shot from that distance( see Kingsbury), and to dish it out taking it to the hole. Not sure Joe has that. I'd agree with the poster that mentioned that Joe W looks like he's lost about 10 lbs and doesn't look as cut as he was last season.

Like the powerful Steff Curry?

Joe pisses me off. He reminds me of Uthoff. Very good player. But too nice. Plays with little emotion or afraid to show it. If he wants to play the NBA,he better hit the weight room and eat red meat.

It's a recipe for failure when Connor gets more shot attempts than either Wieskamp or CJ.
I understand where you're coming from, but Purdue was leaving Connor completely alone. He needs to take those open shots. His 3 point percentage is 32 for the season. Hopefully Weezy gets his mojo back.

I agree with the outhustling part. But after 30 games, you'd think they could box out.
as many have stated, anyone who has played basketball learned all about boxing out at an EARLY AGE in basketball camps. it should be 2nd nature to kids in college.

For some reason, defense and rebounding have been major issues all 10 years that Fran has been here

Dude was a rail when he came to the NBA and could shoot just as well then as now.

Shooting isn't about strength. It's not a shot put.
He didn't do it as a profession nor was he playing against players at his level of ability at John Davidson. He's much more developed than his college days, and he has to be stronger to deal with the league versus school.

as many have stated, anyone who has played basketball learned all about boxing out at an EARLY AGE in basketball camps. it should be 2nd nature to kids in college.

For some reason, defense and rebounding have been major issues all 10 years that Fran has been here
Well, as Fran (not you) has said innumerably, "We'll get it figured out." :eek:

Reactions: Franisdaman
Purude clearly has Iowa's number. Without CJ and JW making shots Iowa is pretty anemic offensively. The guards didn't have a an off night, they just aren't good shooters. Most teams have guards that would torch opponents for leaving them wide. Not having Jbo is huge as we all know.

Not sure what buttons Fran can push. Hope JW gets back on track or try to push tempo to get some looks for guys before the d sets. To do this you have to win the rebounding battle and Iowa has struggled in this department of late. Most viable option is get Garza out of the paint in some sets and let him pick and pop and maybe Kriener and JW can get some buckets cutting / post with the lane no so congested. Fran has to come up with some counter measures because I don't think he can count on JW catching fire.

When the main player on the floor publicly acknowledges lack of effort that is very telling.

That loss might have only cost them tourney seeding. They're almost at the point though when lack of effort might be the thing that ends their season.

Hopefully a foul was called on the play pictured.

Check this out:

Nope. Not called. happened all night.
50 bulldozed guys out of rebounding position at least 10 times.
Guy guarding JW held him on every pick and was called for his first foul with less than 3 min left in the game. He did a hell of a job staying in front of JW on the drive but he also dozed JW and another Iowa player out of rebound position. The 40 yr old did much the same on rebounding.
Add in that most of the hawkeyes have about a half effort to rebound after getting rode out a few times and you get smoked on the glass.

Reactions: Rudolph
Connor was really poor on D which is rare. I wonder if the bully ball got in our heads. They also didn’t even contest Connor. If you play ball you understand how odd it is to shoot an uncontested shot in a competitive game. If Connor starts 3-6 we probably win the game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT