Garza Is Hawkeyes Emotional Leader

LuteHawk

HR Legend
Nov 30, 2011
Tonight, Garza became the emotional leader that the
Hawkeyes need. Besides his fist pumps, he made
crucial free throws, snagged critical rebounds and
scored 19 points. He led by sheer will-power and
raw emotion as the Hawkeyes beat Illinois tonight.
Congrats to Luke Garza.

He plays well when he has a good height advantage. It will come against taller players that are more athletic when he gets more experience. I just wish nunge had redshirted.

Reactions: papabeef and Bro D
As a freshman, Garza has 10.6 ppg. He is a work in
progress as far as his defense is concerned. Yet he
has an opportunity to make progress each game that
he plays. He is not the finished product, but he will
reach his potential as he competes against Big Ten
competition.

Welp...I like what I see. He's still just a kid yet. But it's obvious he's got some fire in him and busts his guts out there.

He's got a ways to go yet. Strength and conditioning, positioning on defense, "polishing his overall offensive game". With his lack of foot speed and vertical, he has to use his other skills to be truly effective.

But yeah...keep hustling and yearning to improve, he'll be a damn good player.

Garza has played with emotion and enthusiasm whenever he's enjoying success, or even if he's enjoying sustained floor time (meaning staying out of foul trouble). I've never felt like guys rallied around him. Tonight they did a bit more. But I actually thought tonight Kreiner was the guy that really inspired the team, that sparked a deeper belief.

Maybe I'm seeing what I want to see. I like Kreiner. I think his ceiling is higher than people realize. His year to this point has been disappointing — I suspect for himself more than any and all of us combined. I think he presses when he comes in, trying to make up for lost time, and gets ahead of himself.

He knows how to play, he's a right place at the right time kind of guy. Remember early season when he and Pemsl had this chemistry where one was regularly assisting another? Sure, the competition wasn't B1G, but those plays were being made because he understands how to play. Kreiner is a better defender than people think. Often he suffers from not getting the benefit of the doubt from the officials, because he gets called for fouls that are often not whistled for other guys. Sometimes he is just a hair late or a hair behind the play and pays the price with a foul. But more court time and he goes from a hair late to not being a hair late (like tonight).

I would like to see Kreiner play more, settle in, gain some lasting and sustainable confidence.

I also want to say that Maishe deserves a ton of credit tonight for taking the ball out of Bohannon's hands for long stretches. The way that Illinois was pressuring Jordan and denying the wings, forcing Jordan to dribble seemingly forever just to make the initial pass, I thought Jordan was going to collapse from exhaustion. I was tired just watching the damn thing. Maishe might have saved his damn life. Maishe sure seems to be believing in himself more and more as his role increases and he has more lead-guard responsibility. Now that he's gained Fran's trust that one mistake won't compound to two or three, he has revealed himself as real steady emotionally, not getting rattled.

Glad they got a win, glad they didn't quit after the rough start. I'm always intrigued by how a team reacts to and handles sustained adversity like this.

Garza has played with emotion and enthusiasm whenever he's enjoying success, or even if he's enjoying sustained floor time (meaning staying out of foul trouble). I've never felt like guys rallied around him. Tonight they did a bit more. But I actually thought tonight Kreiner was the guy that really inspired the team, that sparked a deeper belief.

Maybe I'm seeing what I want to see. I like Kreiner. I think his ceiling is higher than people realize. His year to this point has been disappointing — I suspect for himself more than any and all of us combined. I think he presses when he comes in, trying to make up for lost time, and gets ahead of himself.

He knows how to play, he's a right place at the right time kind of guy. Remember early season when he and Pemsl had this chemistry where one was regularly assisting another? Sure, the competition wasn't B1G, but those plays were being made because he understands how to play. Kreiner is a better defender than people think. Often he suffers from not getting the benefit of the doubt from the officials, because he gets called for fouls that are often not whistled for other guys. Sometimes he is just a hair late or a hair behind the play and pays the price with a foul. But more court time and he goes from a hair late to not being a hair late (like tonight).

I would like to see Kreiner play more, settle in, gain some lasting and sustainable confidence.

I also want to say that Maishe deserves a ton of credit tonight for taking the ball out of Bohannon's hands for long stretches. The way that Illinois was pressuring Jordan and denying the wings, forcing Jordan to dribble seemingly forever just to make the initial pass, I thought Jordan was going to collapse from exhaustion. I was tired just watching the damn thing. Maishe might have saved his damn life. Maishe sure seems to be believing in himself more and more as his role increases and he has more lead-guard responsibility. Now that he's gained Fran's trust that one mistake won't compound to two or three, he has revealed himself as real steady emotionally, not getting rattled.

Glad they got a win, glad they didn't quit after the rough start. I'm always intrigued by how a team reacts to and handles sustained adversity like this.
Both Garza and Kriener were essential and emotional leaders from the center position. Woody, who could also lead from there in his own way, would be proud.
http://www.hawkcentral.com/videos/s...utions-luka-garza-and-ryan-kriener/109385700/

I’d say this is correct.....but name a player on this Hawkeye team who doesn’t give up baskets!

Well Garza and Bohannon have by far the greatest frequency of defensive breakdowns.

Kriener on the other hand saved quite a few baskets from happening against Illinois. He made a pretty sweet play to break up a lob pass at the rim where he not only had to recognize the play before hand but cover a lot of ground just to get there.

Grazas main contribution to defense is that he rebounds pretty well.

Kriener is the only big that understands how Fran wants to defend high screens and has the quickness to execute it and recover. That IMO is enourmouse for this team. Otherwise we are just constantly giving up easy baskets.

Last edited:
Welp...I like what I see. He's still just a kid yet. But it's obvious he's got some fire in him and busts his guts out there.

He's got a ways to go yet. Strength and conditioning, positioning on defense, "polishing his overall offensive game". With his lack of foot speed and vertical, he has to use his other skills to be truly effective.

But yeah...keep hustling and yearning to improve, he'll be a damn good player.
Also has an outside shot, that Woody didn't have. Kid want's to play BBalll.......

Garza has a 3 point shot in his offensive arsenal.
When he is wide open he will use it. For a 6' 11"
guy that is a good weapon.

Well Garza and Bohannon have by far the greatest frequency of defensive breakdowns.

Kriener on the other hand saved quite a few baskets from happening against Illinois. He made a pretty sweet play to break up a lob pass at the rim where he not only had to recognize the play before hand but cover a lot of ground just to get there.

Grazas main contribution to defense is that he rebounds pretty well.

Kriener is the only big that understands how Fran wants to defend high screens and has the quickness to execute it and recover. That IMO is enourmouse for this team. Otherwise we are just constantly giving up easy baskets.
Are you Kreiner's dad or something? Every post seems to be about how great he is and how he needs to play more

This is exactly right. Youthful exuberance. It's easy to be the rah rah guy with the fist pumps and the "Let's go!" exhortations when shots are falling and things are going well for you. It's another thing to be the emotional leader and rock of stability when you and the team are in a funk.

I think Garza has tremendous upside and will likely be an all-conference performer when he's an upperclassman, but he has a long way to go before he gets there.

I’ve been wanting to see a little more Kreiner and a little less Garza all season. Garza was fantastic in the 2nd half last night. Knocking down FTs in tight road game for a frosh is impressive. I thought he got a bad break on the charging call, I (like him) thought he should have got a “and one”. He’s been thrown to the wolves a bit this year. I think he AND Nunge will turn into very good B1G big men.

Lik
Tonight, Garza became the emotional leader that the
Hawkeyes need. Besides his fist pumps, he made
crucial free throws, snagged critical rebounds and
scored 19 points. He led by sheer will-power and
raw emotion as the Hawkeyes beat Illinois tonight.
Congrats to Luke Garza.
Like Woody? His own toughness yes.And Baer was usual.Positive WAY no? Next game huh? Hawk Players tough tonight.

You have to love Luka's emotion, and this team needs someone to provide it. He mainly needs to keep working on getting in the right position on defense to help compensate for his lack of quickness.

From Mark Emmert of HawkCentral who was at the game:

Garza: "We weren't going to lose. ... We came out right from the jump in the second half. We had more intensity than them. They had been kind of kicking our butt the whole game in terms of that, outhustling us. We weren't going to let it happen any more and it was great to see."

No, I just prefer winning.

And hate watching bad defense.

Yes, Iowa doesn't have any great options at center, but Kriener's skill set makes him a viable option for more minutes. He is tall, semi-mobile and and stronger than Garza at least. Iowa doesn't win the game, period, without his 9-minute stretch in the second half. Iowa has been dying for a big who can do the dirty work and not need the ball fed to them on offense and still be effective. Kriener's defensive work last night was far superior to what we've seen this year from anyone else. Blocking shots at the rim, recognizing where he needed to be on the zone, grabbing offensive rebounds, etc. And then on offense being able to space the floor by knocking down open jumpers when Illinois left him alone. Using Kriener on the pick and roll to fan and hit spot up jumpers allows Cook to have room to move inside. Helps out everything.

For Iowa to succeed, they need the contributions of both Garza and Kriener. The shortened rotation of 7-8 in the second half allowed everyone to play better. Everyone will argue about who those 7-8 players should be. I don't really care as long as Cook and Bohannon are included, and pick your others and go with it.

Reactions: kceasthawk
He makes Acie Earl look graceful running down the floor.
Maybe so, but the kid busts his ass, so good for him. By the way, if he turned out to be another Acie Earl, I'd be thrilled to death. Never seen another guy in college ball with the knack for blocking shots that guy had.

Reactions: soybean
Yes, Iowa doesn't have any great options at center, but Kriener's skill set makes him a viable option for more minutes. He is tall, semi-mobile and and stronger than Garza at least. Iowa doesn't win the game, period, without his 9-minute stretch in the second half. Iowa has been dying for a big who can do the dirty work and not need the ball fed to them on offense and still be effective. Kriener's defensive work last night was far superior to what we've seen this year from anyone else. Blocking shots at the rim, recognizing where he needed to be on the zone, grabbing offensive rebounds, etc. And then on offense being able to space the floor by knocking down open jumpers when Illinois left him alone. Using Kriener on the pick and roll to fan and hit spot up jumpers allows Cook to have room to move inside. Helps out everything.

For Iowa to succeed, they need the contributions of both Garza and Kriener. The shortened rotation of 7-8 in the second half allowed everyone to play better. Everyone will argue about who those 7-8 players should be. I don't really care as long as Cook and Bohannon are included, and pick your others and go with it.

I actually think a clear top 7 has emerged even though Fran will force Pemsl and Ellingson in too.

JBO
Moss
Daily
Baer
Garza
Kriener
Cook.

I still think Pemsl is a decent player but the problem is his skill set is limited to the block and we already have other guys doing better there.

Forcing him in at the 3 does no one any good.

I was shocked that he played so well in the second half. I kept thinking, "Where has that guy been all year?" Then I remembered, "Oh, yeah, he's a true freshman." Hope he's finally turned a corner and can produce like that on a regular basis. And Bohannon, for all of his defensive deficiencies, can really light it up when he's on. Kreiner played well, too, in the 2nd half. Dailey had quality minutes. Baer did Baer things. Cook did Cook things. Moss was solid. I think I just named the Hawkeyes best rotation.

Reactions: soybean
He lived on the second floor (tonight). His name is Luka.
Luka DOES NOT sleep with the fishes. He is full of energy, determination and attitude and keeps getting better with each game we play. I don't know if Luka stay at Iowa for all his four years but he he is going be the kind of shining star we have not had in a long time.

I actually think a clear top 7 has emerged even though Fran will force Pemsl and Ellingson in too.

JBO
Moss
Daily
Baer
Garza
Kriener
Cook.

I still think Pemsl is a decent player but the problem is his skill set is limited to the block and we already have other guys doing better there.

Forcing him in at the 3 does no one any good.
I agree with this top 7 right now. Nunge’s upside may get him in there at some point. BE, Pemsl, Wagner are spot guys who may do well in particular matchups.

Reactions: RocknRollface
As a freshman, Garza has 10.6 ppg. He is a work in
progress as far as his defense is concerned. Yet he
has an opportunity to make progress each game that
he plays. He is not the finished product, but he will
reach his potential as he competes against Big Ten
competition.
we have a lot of people who are a work in progress on defense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT