ADVERTISEMENT

Garza nba comp

BrunoMars420

HR Legend
Feb 14, 2016
I love doing these haha but I was watching the game yesterday and I can’t believe I didn’t think of this earlier.

Luka Garza is a Brook Lopez lite comp in the NBA. From the eye it looks like brook has a longer wingspan and is a little more athletic but Brooks game is very similar to Luka. Good stretch 5, slow footed, great touch downlow, and a very smart player. If I am Luka I would look at Lopez and copy his game for the next level.

Last edited:
I love doing these haha but I was watching the game yesterday and I can’t believe I didn’t think of this earlier.

Luka Garza is a Brook Lopez comp in the NBA. From the eye it looks like brook has a longer wingspan and is a little more athletic but Brooks game is very similar to Luka. Good stretch 5, slow footed, great touch downlow, and a very smart player. If I am Luka I would look at Lopez and copy his game for the next level.
Lopez will be copying Luka's game in a few years...
;)

I've thought Brook Lopez as well, offensively. Maybe Alex Len, now that Len shoots threes. These are all offensive comparisons, not sure there's one for D.

Reactions: BrunoMars420
Why do people think he is a NBA prospect? I just went through the first 5 NBA draft board projections from a simple Google search and he wasn't mentioned on any of them.

He is an outstanding collegiate player, but not everyone's game translates.
He will likely have a long and prosperous career over seas with a cup of coffee with the NBA. I hope I'm wrong.

Why do people think he is a NBA prospect? I just went through the first 5 NBA draft board projections from a simple Google search and he wasn't mentioned on any of them.

He is an outstanding collegiate player, but not everyone's game translates.

Honestly, he reminds me of Hansbrough from UNC a few years back. Hansbrough made an NBA roster, but wasn't flashy or anything, just got the job done at UNC. Great college player, but didn't translate to the NBA.

I've thought Brook Lopez as well, offensively. Maybe Alex Len, now that Len shoots threes. These are all offensive comparisons, not sure there's one for D.
I watched Alex Len volleyball spike a Damontas Sabonis lefty hook then tomahawk dunk on Sabonis two possessions later when the Pacers played in Atlanta a couple weeks ago.

Love Luka but he doesn't have anywhere close to those kind of hops.

Reactions: RocknRollface
I watched Alex Len volleyball spike a Damontas Sabonis lefty hook then tomahawk dunk on Sabonis two possessions later when the Pacers played in Atlanta a couple weeks ago.

Love Luka but he doesn't have anywhere close to those kind of hops.

Yeah Garza can't throw it down like that. Guess I was thinking of his pick-&-pops he does with Young. Trying to think of someone else besides Lopez, who is probably the best comparison.

Most of the taller slow footed guys are longer and jump better than Garza. He’s NBA ready as a reserve on offense, but can’t think of any comparison on defense who can barely dunk.

Only two I can think of are PSUs John Anaechi and MSUs Zach Randolph, but both were 6’9” type PFs in the NBA. Neither could dunk easily, and both were rookies before the trend towards positionless players and massive 3 point shooting took off.

Garza can shoot the NBA 3 but guarding other stretch 4s and 5s out there....or closing out on other NBA players off rotations....yikes!

I think that is the ultimate question with Luka for his NBA prospects: Defense. He doesn't play above the rim, to be a rim protector. Also, he doesn't have the quickness to guard out to the 3 pt. line on rotations like you said.

Offensively, I think his shooting ability would get him on an NBA roster if it weren't for the defense.

I love Luka, maybe favorite player of the Fran era outside of AW.

Most of the taller slow footed guys are longer and jump better than Garza. He’s NBA ready as a reserve on offense, but can’t think of any comparison on defense who can barely dunk.

Only two I can think of are PSUs John Anaechi and MSUs Zach Randolph, but both were 6’9” type PFs in the NBA. Neither could dunk easily, and both were rookies before the trend towards positionless players and massive 3 point shooting took off.

Garza can shoot the NBA 3 but guarding other stretch 4s and 5s out there....or closing out on other NBA players off rotations....yikes!

Luka Garza is a Brook Lopez lite comp in the NBA. From the eye it looks like brook has a longer wingspan and is a little more athletic but Brooks game is very similar to Luka. Good stretch 5, slow footed, great touch downlow, and a very smart player. If I am Luka I would look at Lopez and copy his game for the next level.

Nope.

Someone said Enes Kanter and that's probably the closest, really good around the rim, shity defender. But Kanter is still way more athletic than Garza.

I think that is the ultimate question with Luka for his NBA prospects: Defense. He doesn't play above the rim, to be a rim protector. Also, he doesn't have the quickness to guard out to the 3 pt. line on rotations like you said.

Offensively, I think his shooting ability would get him on an NBA roster if it weren't for the defense.

I love Luka, maybe favorite player of the Fran era outside of AW.

Yep, it's not impossible for him to make it but it's very unlikely.

What he does well most nba teams aren't interested in and all of his weaknesses are in areas that are pretty much required to be atleast adequate.

Nikola Jokic without the handles or elite big man passing. Also kind of reminds me of Ivica Zubac but Ivica is more bouncy and doesn't shoot many 3s.

Brad Miller from Purdue perhaps, although I think Garza's defensive agility is not quite as good. He's more physical in the post though.

I like the Randolph comp, that’s a pretty good one. He had no hops, was crafty as hell and worked his ass off. Garza is a better shooter than Zach was coming into the league, Randolph a better rebounder. Its a different league now but I think a young Randolph would still be able to find a rotation spot in today’s game.

Honestly, he reminds me of Hansbrough from UNC a few years back. Hansbrough made an NBA roster, but wasn't flashy or anything, just got the job done at UNC. Great college player, but didn't translate to the NBA.

Vastly different players. Hansbrough not nearly as skilled, Hansbrough was all about superior size, strength and athleticism at the college level. Tons of dunks. Garza way more skilled and repertoire of moves.

I've gone from now way in heck Garza is ever in the NBA to there's a slim chance now. As great as Garza is in college, he wouldn't be able to score in the NBA like he does in college, he'd be facing guys taller and way better athletes. And that doesn't begin to address how he would go about trying to defend in the NBA.

Luka actually has some Reggie Evans relentlessness in his game. It's kind of overshadowed by the fact that he scores the ball so well, but it is Reggie Evans success that I started to think about that made me feel like Luka just might carve out a career in the NBA. Who knows. Timing and fit is a big part of it for pretty much all players who aren't all-NBA types.

Honestly hes a s
Luka actually has some Reggie Evans relentlessness in his game. It's kind of overshadowed by the fact that he scores the ball so well, but it is Reggie Evans success that I started to think about that made me feel like Luka just might carve out a career in the NBA. Who knows. Timing and fit is a big part of it for pretty much all players who aren't all-NBA types.

The league has changed allot even since Evans.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT