ADVERTISEMENT

Garza - NBA

Dont think hes an NBA player. Certainly dont think hes a candidate to leave early for the NBA.

If he were coming out 25 years ago, I'd think he's an easy NBA C. But now, I'm not sure I'd bet that he would stick. He's a great college player, but when I watch the NBA today, I just don't see his athleticism/skill set on display.

And honestly, it's not his offense so much as his defense. I just don't know how he'd guard most centers. If he got into the right fit on the right team, he could easily have a place. But he's not a guy who will fit anywhere.

The NBA is so different now. From the 90's to now it has changed.

I think you can go back To Earvin "Magic" Johnson to see the early evolution of the game.

I think you can go back To Earvin "Magic" Johnson to see the early evolution of the game.
You are right, but who is to say Garza isn't the next step in the evolution? Not predicting it but these things can be hard to predict. He presents a very unique blend of talent with potential 3 point shooting to go along with post moves. Defense will always be his biggest challenge, but I wonder if his game doesn't have a place.

Reactions: VicHawkeye

Even if you ignore the athleticism aspect, just look at how Cs are used now. Their use looks nothing like the 80s to mid-late 90s. Between the influx of Euro players, especially starting with Dirk, and the likes of Garnett learning to play the wing in a Cs body, the game transitioned over a 10 year or so period. Add in some of the defensive rule changes over the years, Cs just get used different now.

Even if you ignore the athleticism aspect, just look at how Cs are used now. Their use looks nothing like the 80s to mid-late 90s. Between the influx of Euro players, especially starting with Dirk, and the likes of Garnett learning to play the wing in a Cs body, the game transitioned over a 10 year or so period. Add in some of the defensive rule changes over the years, Cs just get used different now.

This will be like Megan G all over again...fans will be pissed when Garza doesn't excel at the next level and then blame it on coaching or the organization.

He will make the NBA after next year. He's a big that can step out and shoot, has tremendous footwork and is a rugged screener. Always a roster spot for guys like that. And he continues to get better.

I hope he's a first round pick....after the 2020-21 season. I don't know how much better Luka can get, but with his work ethic and determination, the trend is certainly pointing up.

Reactions: kceasthawk
You are right, but who is to say Garza isn't the next step in the evolution? Not predicting it but these things can be hard to predict. He presents a very unique blend of talent with potential 3 point shooting to go along with post moves. Defense will always be his biggest challenge, but I wonder if his game doesn't have a place.

Should never say never, but the NBA isn't going to evolve for Luka Garza. He is a very unique talent in college, old-school post moves and a team that will throw him the ball.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but have you seen/watched NBA games recently? What big guys are asked to do defensively is just so different than what Garza is good at. And his post/interior game on offense is not likely to work against NBA defenders. He's not posting up Embid or Javale McGee or pretty much any big man in the NBA. They are all bigger and more athletic.

This will be like Megan G all over again...fans will be pissed when Garza doesn't excel at the next level and then blame it on coaching or the organization.
Forget excelling, if he just makes the NBA I think everyone will be pretty thrilled.

Reactions: amahawk
Should never say never, but the NBA isn't going to evolve for Luka Garza. He is a very unique talent in college, old-school post moves and a team that will throw him the ball.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but have you seen/watched NBA games recently? What big guys are asked to do defensively is just so different than what Garza is good at. And his post/interior game on offense is not likely to work against NBA defenders. He's not posting up Embid or Javale McGee or pretty much any big man in the NBA. They are all bigger and more athletic.
And I’m not arguing with you really. I just think these things are hard to predict and lots of bad takes out there. Lot of people claimed Cook would never see the light of day on an NBA roster. Garza is a very unique talent, which gives him a certain advantage in itself.

Reactions: WildIowaCat
And I’m not arguing with you really. I just think these things are hard to predict and lots of bad takes out there. Lot of people claimed Cook would never see the light of day on an NBA roster. Garza is a very unique talent, which gives him a certain advantage in itself.

Totally agree. I hope to see him prove all the naysayers wrong. I love watching him play. His commitment to playing hard and smart is something else.

Agreed.

Some of it is the normal bias fans see in their own players. Some of it is that there are a lot of people who just haven't watched much NBA recently. Their perspective still includes the greats of the 80s and 90s. That's not the game today.

Reactions: RocknRollface

McGee gets a rap because of all the Shaqtin a Fool episodes he made, for good reason. But man, he's as much of an athletic freak as there is in the game, and he's 7' 270lbs.

Unless he improves his defensive game, I see him having a great career - in Europe. Not to say he won't ever make a roster because scoring will always be in demand, I just don't think his skill set fits how the NBA game is played. Which is basically a live version of a video game featuring 3 point shots and dunks.

I agree with this completely. Most fans will see what he is doing in college and just assume that means he will leave for the NBA early. Also, when he does leave after his Senior year, they will be confused/mad when he doesn't get drafted (or maybe very late 2nd round) and is a fringe NBA player. There might be a place for him on the right team and in the right situation but the talk of him leaving early isn't realistic.

He could score but what center in the NBA is Garza capable of defending, especially out on the perimeter during pick and roll?

He needs another year at Iowa, working on his leg strength and 3 point shot and then heck yes he will make the NBA with that skill set but no way do I see him missing his Senior year.

I agree with this completely. Most fans will see what he is doing in college and just assume that means he will leave for the NBA early. Also, when he does leave after his Senior year, they will be confused/mad when he doesn't get drafted (or maybe very late 2nd round) and is a fringe NBA player. There might be a place for him on the right team and in the right situation but the talk of him leaving early isn't realistic.

I agree. I do think more and more guys will leave early for the G League and Europe as they realize that is the best way to truly work on their games. And the G League may join the NBPA soon, which will make it even more attractive for players. And of course, there is always the financial situation of each player and what they may want/need.

Reactions: L. Wade Childress
Speed might be his problem. Maybe he is faster than I think but it looks like it causes him pain to get up and down.

excellent player for sure. M

I would think he gets on a roster.

Nice college player but he'll end up in Europe or the G-League. Too slow and can't jump high enough for the NBA.

It's better than the Myers Leonard comparison I've seen on this board.

I'd compare Garza's game to Enes Kanter.

Garza is not as athletic as Kanter, so the issue remains can Garza defend at NBA level.. Garza has a lot of tricks/skills on the offensive side, so he is certainly more skilled offensively than Kanter....but Kanter scored on mostly Dunks in the limited times I watched him play for Portland Trailblazers last year.

Kaminsky strikes me as better 3ball shooter, ball handler, little bit better athlete and at 7ft a litte taller/more reach. All those little things add up to a big difference.

Cook may have made a roster for now in NBA, but Devyn Marble made a roster for awhile too. Sticking in NBA is the issue.

Garza is not as athletic as Kanter, so the issue remains can Garza defend at NBA level.. Garza has a lot of tricks/skills on the offensive side, so he is certainly more skilled offensively than Kanter....but Kanter scored on mostly Dunks in the limited times I watched him play for Portland Trailblazers last year.

Kaminsky strikes me as better 3ball shooter, ball handler, little bit better athlete and at 7ft a litte taller/more reach. All those little things add up to a big difference.

Cook may have made a roster for now in NBA, but Devyn Marble made a roster for awhile too. Sticking in NBA is the issue.

Kanter is very skilled offensively, watch the Celtics tonight. He has touch, can hit the mid range, & finishes at different angles. He can't guard anyone, and doesn't look to pass, just like Garza.

If Kanter is not the player comp for Garza, pray tell who in the NBA is. Obviously we're not talking about skill level, just give me a player comp.

Kanter is very skilled offensively, watch the Celtics tonight. He has touch, can hit the mid range, & finishes at different angles. He can't guard anyone, and doesn't look to pass, just like Garza.

If Kanter is not the player comp for Garza, pray tell who in the NBA is. Obviously we're not talking about skill level, just give me a player comp.

Kind of reminds me of Ivica Zubac. Luka is a better shooter and Ivica is probably more athletic. Both have similar around the basket games though.

He will make the NBA after next year. He's a big that can step out and shoot, has tremendous footwork and is a rugged screener. Always a roster spot for guys like that. And he continues to get better.

That's really not true.

Theres lots of guys who could play offense in the nba but can't make a roster because of defense.

Reactions: owenhawk

The only two guys I can think of that are physically remotely similar to Garza are the Joker and DeMarcus Cousins.

Joker is such a unique talent that he has a ton of aspects that Garza doesn't and hes also bigger, and Cousins won't be in the nba much longer because he can't defend on the perimeter.

McGee gets a rap because of all the Shaqtin a Fool episodes he made, for good reason. But man, he's as much of an athletic freak as there is in the game, and he's 7' 270lbs.

Hes athletic but still looks his equilibrium is off or something.

Cook is in the nba based purely on athleticism and potential

It's also quite possible Cleavlands front office is trying to tank.

Reactions: owenhawk
While I dont think he will right now, the guy has great work ethic and if he truly develops an NBA 3, he has a shot.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT