ADVERTISEMENT

"Luka Garza is clearly your Nat'l POY." Wooden Award, Naismith & Lute Olson Nat'l POY Finalist

Agreed. It’s kind of like Happ. Garza is a fantastic offensive player in college and I can only hope he continues to perform like he has for the next year and a half but I don’t think it will translate to the NBA and I doubt he is ever projected to be a first round pick.

And that's okay. I don't understand why so many Hawk fans are obsessed about whether a guy goes to the NBA or not. I'll take Garza, Happ, and those types of players all day every day because they'll stay for four years and completely outplay the ones-and-dones when they are juniors and seniors. Upper-classmen like Happ (and hopefully Garza) are the types of players that gets teams deep into March.

There were 11 total freshman who were drafted last year and 8 total sophomores drafted in the first round last year. If a player isn't rated in the top 15 of a given recruiting class they have almost no hope of being drafted in the first round as freshman or sophomores. Very few second round guys ever make it onto an NBA roster for a full season. The smart thing to do for almost all recruits outside of the top 15 or 20 of each class is to stay in school and get their degree and then, if they're very good but not NBA quality, go to Europe to make some dough for a few years before moving on with life. I can understand a guy on the cusp of being drafted in the 2nd round going early if he's already attained his degree, but even then why not go for a graduate degree while under scholarship and then play overseas?

Anyway, I love Luka and Weiskamp and if they stick around next year Iowa could push for the Elite Eight or higher next year (maybe even this year? Who knows?).

Luka Garza against some of his Big Ten counterparts this season

EPZMw5SWoAE6ult

Source:

Reactions: Hawksfor3
College basketball rankings: Iowa, led by Player of Year candidate Luka Garza, jumps to No. 17 in Top 25 And 1
The Hawkeyes are 11-1 at home after beating Illinois on Sunday

Is Iowa's Luka Garza about to win national player of the year?

In short, he might, because the junior center turned in another big performance Sunday in a 72-65 victory over Illinois. He took 16 shots, made nine of them and finished with 25 points and 10 rebounds in 33 minutes. So Garza has now scored at least 20 points in seven straight games -- and, on the season, he's now averaging 23.0 points and 10.4 rebounds while shooting 54.6% from the field. His Player Efficiency Rating of 36.25 ranks first nationally.

It really is remarkable -- and mostly out of nowhere.

Garza was a nice player last season -- one who averaged 13.1 points and 4.5 rebounds in 23.6 minutes per contest for a team that advanced to the second round of the NCAA Tournament. But, right or wrong, he didn't even make our list of the Top 100 And 1 best college basketball players entering this season. (For what it's worth, I don't remember anybody complaining.) And yet here we are, less than four months later, and Luka Garza is a legitimate candidate -- along with Marquette's Markus Howard, Dayton's Obi Toppin, Duke's Vernon Carey, Seton Hall's Myles Powell and a few others -- to earn national player of the year honors in the 2019-20 season.

Incredible stuff.

Garza's Hawkeyes moved to No. 17 in Monday morning's updated CBS Sports Top 25 And 1 daily college basketball rankings -- which pushed Butler, just 2-4 in its past six, down one spot. Iowa is 6-1 in its past seven games with the lone loss in that stretch coming at Maryland. The Hawkeyes' next game is Wednesday at Purdue.

LINK to Story: https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...te-luka-garza-jumps-to-no-17-in-top-25-and-1/

Reactions: Hawksfor3
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT