ADVERTISEMENT

Garza's Competition For POY

I'm not saying he'll win it, (he probably won't), but he's been doing this Garzilla impressionation for most of the year, and certainly the entire conference season, and the BIG is obviously the best conference. He still has the last four games, and the BIG tourney to show his mettle. Not sure when they wrap the voting so I'm not counting whatever he does in the NCAA, but Luka still has at least a half dozen games against Quad 1 teams to strut his stuff.

No doubt! You and I are on the same page. Unfortunately the media didn't mention him in the POY race until we were halfway through conference season. Not sure that is enough time to reach all of the boneheads in other parts of the country.

Games like tonite against a pretty good as of late Ohio St. team will be a fun test for Iowa and Luka G. AND of course going to East Lansing will be a difficult task. Curious to see how Izzo chooses to defend us. Game is at their place so no doubt a lot of hand checking and pushing.----Hope we win both but I think the easier bet would be that Mr. Garza gets his 20+ and 10.

Izzo's stragey will be to have a conversation with the refs to make sure Luka gets 2 fouls early and has to sit, then 2 more to start the half so he can only play 10 minutes.

I assume voting ends with the regular season. If Luka gets four more 20+ games with close to 10 boards, and Iowa wins at least 2 of 4, I think he has a great shot at POY. It would be great to have a couple of big rebounding games to get that up to a double figure average, The B1G is the best conference, especially for centers, and Luka has won pretty much every match up against other top centers, most convincingly.

I have not seen the other players mentioned most as contenders play much. I haven't seen the Dayton kid at all, so I am basing my assessment as a fairly objective B1G and Hawkeye homer.

What’s funny?
Come on, don't act like you don't understand.

Luka is a beast that plays in the best conference in the land against tough competition every week. The Dayton's, San Diego St's, and Gonzaga's of college basketball are not facing the competition Garza is. If they did their best players would be good but not great.

The best part about Luka is that teams now have a ton of film on him and they still can't stop him. IMO that is what makes him the best player in college basketball.

Reactions: Ronman
Expect the national media pick a blue blood guy. If Luka wore a Kansas uniform he’d be a lock.

Saw that Dickie V tweeted that Luka is his leader for POY. Thats a great sign since he’s the ultimate ACC homer

If Garza has a great game against MSU and can pull a win from East Lansing I can't help but think he would be at that top of the list. A big night against the Spartans would bring a lot of exposure and notoriety.

Come on, don't act like you don't understand.

Luka is a beast that plays in the best conference in the land against tough competition every week. The Dayton's, San Diego St's, and Gonzaga's of college basketball are not facing the competition Garza is. If they did their best players would be good but not great.

The best part about Luka is that teams now have a ton of film on him and they still can't stop him. IMO that is what makes him the best player in college basketball.

Well this makes zero sense in relation to what I said. I was talking about Dayton or any team for that matter. A team's advanced metrics show how a good a team is regardless of if they are in the Big Ten or in the MVC because they are adjusted for who you are playing. Based on numerous advanced metrics, SDSU and Gonzaga are 2 of the top 4-5 teams in the country and Dayton is a top 8 team. So, again, what is funny?

Well this makes zero sense in relation to what I said. I was talking about Dayton or any team for that matter. A team's advanced metrics show how a good a team is regardless of if they are in the Big Ten or in the MVC because they are adjusted for who you are playing. Based on numerous advanced metrics, SDSU and Gonzaga are 2 of the top 4-5 teams in the country and Dayton is a top 8 team. So, again, what is funny?
Ok I'll spell it out. I thought it was funny that you were bragging on the Gonzaga and San Diego St teams and then they both go and lose this weekend.

I get your advanced metrics argument, I just don't buy it. By the metrics, Dayton would be in first place in the Big Ten right now. Do you believe that? FTR, I don't.

I actually looked up when the Wooden Award is presented, and it is after the tournament, so my guess is post season impressions make a difference in basketball as opposed to football where the awards are before the playoffs.

Reactions: kceasthawk
I just hope MSU doesn't somehow sneak back in and win the regular season, because you will see Winston end up winning the POY, regardless of stats.

Ok I'll spell it out. I thought it was funny that you were bragging on the Gonzaga and San Diego St teams and then they both go and lose this weekend.

I get your advanced metrics argument, I just don't buy it. By the metrics, Dayton would be in first place in the Big Ten right now. Do you believe that? FTR, I don't.

Ok, so you don't understand the metrics. If Iowa loses against MSU does that negate everything they have done this season? No. Do you think Baylor is no longer one of the top few teams because they lost a game?

The metrics don't predict records. I think Dayton would be right there at the top with teams in the league. Have you watched them play this year? They are good and they are more than just one guy. They have several good players. The problem for them, as for most teams that don't have a great defense, would be winning on the road. And of course it would depend on the schedule they would draw.

I just hope MSU doesn't somehow sneak back in and win the regular season, because you will see Winston end up winning the POY, regardless of stats.

I think Garza has conference player of the year locked up. And I don't see MSU winning the conference because their schedule is too difficult. I wouldn't be surprised at all either if Iowa knocks them off tomorrow night especially if Frederick is available.

Ok, so you don't understand the metrics. If Iowa loses against MSU does that negate everything they have done this season? No. Do you think Baylor is no longer one of the top few teams because they lost a game?

The metrics don't predict records. I think Dayton would be right there at the top with teams in the league. Have you watched them play this year? They are good and they are more than just one guy. They have several good players. The problem for them, as for most teams that don't have a great defense, would be winning on the road. And of course it would depend on the schedule they would draw.
I'm not sure what you are arguing. You started by saying Dayton was a legit final four team and that's why Obi was a more deserving candidate. Now you are saying they would struggle to win road games and be right at the top of the Big Ten with Iowa.

I don't really get why you are arguing with me about this unless you aren't really a fan of the Hawkeyes?

I'm not sure what you are arguing. You started by saying Dayton was a legit final four team and that's why Obi was a more deserving candidate. Now you are saying they would struggle to win road games and be right at the top of the Big Ten with Iowa.

I don't really get why you are arguing with me about this unless you aren't really a fan of the Hawkeyes?

Cool.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT