ADVERTISEMENT

Gavin Williams, best Iowa RB since...

wasn't there a dude Jerry Moses back in the '60s? someof you old timers pls give me the scoop on him.
Great rb from the waterloo east powerhouse teams.
Lots of rumors of family $$ after going to ames cc but who knows what happened back then.
Supposedly a great guy also.

Reactions: Stormn Norman
He's a good player but seeing him play live at sep, I wasn't super blown away. Now having said that, sep doesn't have that great of coaches when it comes to developing for the next level, so moving to Dowling will definitely help him

I know it doesn't matter but I think I saw that he was a 3 star. The Michigan offer alone should have made him a 4.
I'm only kidding but he seems like the real deal.

Last edited:
Both of those players had elite speed. Wegher was fast also, not elite, but had a more complete package of skills IMO. For me, its a close call between Banks and Wegher. I don't consider Dwight a true RB (neither did Hayden).
I’d rather have had Adam Robinson over wegher..

If we are just talking about recruiting attention, Jerry Moses. He had offers from coast to coast. Went to ISU and if I recall correctly injuries cut his career pretty short.

One name that hasn't been brought up us Treye Jackson from Newton. Many football powers in the Midwest wanted him, signed with Iowa. He was at UI for two or three years and transferred to a smaller school.

Nothing against the players, but all the hype from high school can be questioned when you start going to practice against Big Ten football players. It is an entirely different and superior level of competition.

Reactions: Vallholl
Just lucky Clones backed off!

Yeah, they back off a lot of kids lately. Off the top of my head there's Williams, Logan Jones and Josh Volk. Last year there was Jack Campbell, Tyler Endres and Ezra. You can be choosy when you're a national powerhouse and the whole country's talking about you.

Reactions: HawkGem11
Yeah, they back off a lot of kids lately. Off the top of my head there's Williams, Logan Jones and Josh Volk. Last year there was Jack Campbell, Tyler Endres and Ezra. You can be choosy when you're a national powerhouse and the whole country's talking about you.

Williams is the only one of those guys where is has been reported that ISU backed off. To your point though, I very much doubt that he would have selected ISU over Iowa even if they had not backed off. ISU was definitely interested initially and for all we know ISU backed off because they got indication that they could not beat Iowa for the commitment

Williams is the only one of those guys where is has been reported that ISU backed off. To your point though, I very much doubt that he would have selected ISU over Iowa even if they had not backed off. ISU was definitely interested initially and for all we know ISU backed off because they got indication that they could not beat Iowa for the commitment

Where was that reported because I'm very, very skeptical that's true. Cyfan?

Both of those players had elite speed. Wegher was fast also, not elite, but had a more complete package of skills IMO. For me, its a close call between Banks and Wegher. I don't consider Dwight a true RB (neither did Hayden).
Maybe not in college but Dwight was as good as any high school running back to ever play in Iowa. If we didn't have Shaw & Banks back then I do think Dwight could have rushed for 1,000 yards if healthy but we will never know.

Help me out with G Williams. Nothing in his highlights says "wow"...like the other guys mentioned above. Why is he thought of so highly? Not being a downer...just looking for some perspective from those who know more.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
The answer to this question is David Johnson. Gavin Williams is not better than David Johnson. He has to prove something to be considered better than Wegher and Robinson.

My bad. I thought we were talking high school since Gavin is still in high school.

David Johnson has been the best. It was an academic issue correct?

I read something where he said that the Iowa coaches didn't like his effort in pass protection, but I'm sure there is more to the story than that. If pass protection was the only reason why we passed on David Johnson, that game has passed him by and KF needs to go.

Reactions: CarterHall
I read something where he said that the Iowa coaches didn't like his effort in pass protection, but I'm sure there is more to the story than that. If pass protection was the only reason why we passed on David Johnson, that game has passed him by and KF needs to go.

sounds like passing on a great WR because he's not an elite run blocker...of them passing on us.

Ferentz also saw a lack of effort on plays where he wasn’t involved, Iowa didn’t pass on David Johnson either, Iowa offered him a grey shirt.

ADVERTISEMENT