ADVERTISEMENT

Gavin Williams, best Iowa RB since...

I likewise was at the Banks-Dwight HS game. Unreal game. From a purely athletic standpoint, very hard to not have Tavian at the top of the list. There were some football players that studied at the law school (I would go there to nap) who said Tavian’s nickname was “magic.” Ronnie from both a running and catching perspective is up there for sure. I have blocked out the Rose Bowl. And Shonn did win the Doak Walker.

I'm sure Clone fans will say Campbell had better options.
I'm not sure there are better options. The better option for Williams was Iowa. With Hall and Brock only being 1 Year ahead of him Iowa State's RB room is pretty crowded.

Wegher would have had a great career at Iowa and would have challenged a lot of RB records. Had a great Freshmen year, too bad. Watched him a lot at Heelan, very explosive.

Reactions: cleotishaywood
This thread got really off the rails. Wasn't the original question, "is Williams the best instate RB since Tavian"? And as many have responded, the comparative set would be Wegher, DRob, David Johnson and anyone else post 1995 high school grad.

The question was NOT who's the great RB from Iowa all time....FYI...

I would have to categorize David Johnson as best in this 25 year window. David Johnson over came some incredible odds to make it through Clinton High School, UNI and into a nice career start in Arizona. His background of socio-economic challenges and what he has accomplished are a real testament to his character and persistence.

Wegher had a chance to be really special too, but unfortunately, we all know how that turned out.

Reactions: hawkeyecuz
If David Johnson was the exact same player, but white and came from a good 2-parent family, he would have been a Hawkeye.

giphy.gif

If David Johnson was the exact same player, but white and came from a good 2-parent family, he would have been a Hawkeye.
Iowa offered a grayshirt opportunity to David Johnson ... but because his family didn't have much money ... he had to take UNI's offer because it promised no debt to him and his family.

I’d rather have had Adam Robinson over wegher..
I don't think AR had the same level of athletic ability as Wegher, who I think we only saw scratch the surface of what he could have become at Iowa had he been able to keep his stuff together, and keep it in his pants. LOL! Unfortunately both guys had their issues to deal with, or they could have been a special pairing for the Hawks.

Maybe not in college but Dwight was as good as any high school running back to ever play in Iowa. If we didn't have Shaw & Banks back then I do think Dwight could have rushed for 1,000 yards if healthy but we will never know.
This is the correct answer. T n T were in a league of their own in high school. For 90's the national hype was crazy. I remember seeing them profiled on Scholastic Sports America (national show) and I think both could have chosen their college. Not the case with some of the other guys being mentioned. Iowa O was really fun to watch in the mid 90's, minus Matt Sherman

Reactions: CarterHall
And yet... ISU offered.

Your point, again?

Playing time for him may have been pretty tough to come by in Ames with two four star more highly regarded recruits in the class ahead of him. With Jirehl Brock and Breece Hall on the roster Gavin Williams becomes less of a priority for Iowa State. Thought that was fairly obvious though.

Playing time for him may have been pretty tough to come by in Ames with two four star more highly regarded recruits in the class ahead of him. With Jirehl Brock and Breece Hall on the roster Gavin Williams becomes less of a priority for Iowa State. Thought that was fairly obvious though.
They ban lightningred already CyTwins?

Reactions: rchawk
Classic.. Iowa state spin we rejected talent because we have an abundance!! How come Georgia keeps getting the top 5 star qbs every year or bama gets every 5 star.. Iowa state would love to have all 3 backs..

Look at his profile. ISU offered. Or are you subscribing to the belief, or the opinions on this site, that ISU offers anyone with a pulse?

The reasons he chose Iowa, or shunned ISU, may never be made public.

Your argument sounds like sour grapes. If I wanted to take your approach... I could say that ISU got Brock because Iowa pulled their offer and said good luck.

Look at his profile. ISU offered. Or are you subscribing to the belief, or the opinions on this site, that ISU offers anyone with a pulse?

Your argument sounds like sour grapes. If I wanted to take your approach... I could say that ISU got Brock because Iowa pulled their offer and said good luck.

No not sour grapes at all. Would have been great if Williams chose Iowa State. Just stated that him picking Iowa made a lot of sense for all parties involved. Iowa State is sitting nice at that position for the foreseeable future.

Iowa state offered yes but that was before Hall, and Brock committed.

I'm not sure about how commitable his offer was. I do know Campbell is very high on Miko Maussner out of Nebraska and Marcellus Moore out of Illinois. Maussner is an every down type of back who is a excellent Receiver from the backfield, where as Moore is lightning in a bottle. He is small right now but is possibly the fastest Player in the 2020 Class. I would have loved to have got Williams but would also love to get this combo as well.

https://247sports.com/player/marcellus-moore-46076682/

https://247sports.com/player/miko-maessner-46055070/

And yet Iowa wanted Tyler Goodson more than they wanted Brock. If your saying Campbell wouldn't have taken Williams then your just being ridiculous. Whatever makes you feel better.

Reactions: MitchLL
- 2005 - 2006 - Shada playing over Godfrey and Fletcher. Split with ISU. CBI Boyz.

- 2007 - Jake Christensen. Lost to Western Michigan in final game of 2007 to fail to become bowl eligible. Lost to ISU. Everson/Satterfield.

- 2008 - Underachieve with nearly every starter on D ending up in NFL, an NFL QB, the 2 best WR in school history, 3 NFL TEs, a top 3 RB in program history, and a backup RB that also played in the NFL. How many games did it take KF to figure out that Stanzi was better than the worst D1 QB of all-time? Lost to ISU (incorrect).

- 2009 - Took two blocked kicks to beat UNI with one of the most talented rosters in Iowa history

- 2010 - Whiffed on David Johnson, the most talented football player from Iowa since Roger Craig

- 2011 - Rhabdo. Lost to ISU

- 2012 - An intentional terrible hire in Greg Davis to pave the way for BF to become OC. 4-8. Wins against UNI, Northern Illinois, MN (6-7), and MSU (7-6). Lost to ISU and Central Michigan.

- 2013 - Lost to Northern Illinois

- 2014 - Played a clearly inferior talent in Rudock over Beathard for nearly the entire year (AKA Christensen vs. Stanzi 2.0) which almost forced the transfer of a 3rd round draft pick and the soon-to-be most statistically prolific Iowa QB in the NFL of all-time.

- 2015 - Fixed that problem after nearly a full year, went undefeated in regular season, and went to the Rose Bowl, only to get blown out by the best college football player I've ever seen in Christian McCaffery, who we didn't even bother to gameplan for.

The staff is not infallible.

Last edited:
And yet Iowa wanted Tyler Goodson more than they wanted Brock. If your saying Campbell wouldn't have taken Williams then your just being ridiculous. Whatever makes you feel better.

Lol that he wanted Goodson more than Brock. How many times was Brock on Iowas campus? He was the definition of a priority recruit. Goodson was the definition of a fallback recruit. Makes me feel better having two top 25 RB recruits on campus.

Lol that he wanted Goodson more than Brock. How many times was Brock on Iowas campus? He was the definition of a priority recruit. Goodson was the definition of a fallback recruit. Makes me feel better having two top 25 RB recruits on campus.
Lol Goodson is as far from a fallback recruit as you can get. The order of events is pretty well known.

Brock and Goodson both had Iowa high on their lists when Iowa was only taking one back. Brock had multiple chances to commit, including 5 visits to campus, and was respectfully told to shit or get off the pot. Goodson did, being just as high on Iowa's board, so Brock was informed we no longer had room for him.

I know you like to spin every little thing into a victory over Iowa, but Brock was not a take for Iowa after Goodson's commit. Period.

Lol Goodson is as far from a fallback recruit as you can get. The order of events is pretty well known.

Brock and Goodson both had Iowa high on their lists when Iowa was only taking one back. Brock had multiple chances to commit, including 5 visits to campus, and was respectfully told to shit or get off the pot. Goodson did, being just as high on Iowa's board, so Brock was informed we no longer had room for him.

I know you like to spin every little thing into a victory over Iowa, but Brock was not a take for Iowa after Goodson's commit. Period.

"Brock had multiple chances to commit, including 5 visits to campus..."

Lol sure as shit sounds like he was their priority target to me.

Clearly wasnt where he wanted to play football. Iowa coaching staff tried to apply pressure tactic to get him to commit and simply didn't work. Period. Time to go call option #2 or #3 (Goodson).

Keep spinning though...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT