ADVERTISEMENT

Gavin Williams, best Iowa RB since...

Lol that he wanted Goodson more than Brock. How many times was Brock on Iowas campus? He was the definition of a priority recruit. Goodson was the definition of a fallback recruit. Makes me feel better having two top 25 RB recruits on campus.

LOL at the way you ignore the truth. If they wanted Brock more they would have waited. They were afraid of losing Goodson. Fallback? Good Lord.

"Brock had multiple chances to commit, including 5 visits to campus..."

Lol sure as shit sounds like he was their priority target to me.

Clearly wasnt where he wanted to play football. Iowa coaching staff tried to apply pressure tactic to get him to commit and simply didn't work. Period. Time to go call option #2 or #3 (Goodson).

Keep spinning though...

If that's a fallback then I'll take them anytime. No one is demeaning the talent of Brock but you do that to a very good prospect like Goodson. Who has just as good an offer list as Brock. That's where you're credibility falls apart. Now next I suppose you'll tell me that the mighty Campbell didn't want Volk or Logan Jones:)

Lol that he wanted Goodson more than Brock. How many times was Brock on Iowas campus? He was the definition of a priority recruit. Goodson was the definition of a fallback recruit. Makes me feel better having two top 25 RB recruits on campus.
Goodson a fallback recruit? We will see who has a better college career my friend. Brock seems rather Lazardish so he should fit in great with the Clones.

Reactions: millhawk
Goodson a fallback recruit? We will see who has a better college career my friend. Brock seems rather Lazardish so he should fit in great with the Clones.

He doesn't have blazing speed for sure. Goodson would leave him in the dust.

This was already addressed by Brock himself. He is quoted as saying that after Goodson committed Iowa still wanted Brock. As a linebacker. So Brock decided to look elsewhere. I don’t give a crap about spins, Brock himself said after Goodson Iowa told Brock they wanted him but on defense. Period. So let me guess ISU trolls Brock is now lying. What a joke.

Clearly wasnt where he wanted to play football. Iowa coaching staff tried to apply pressure tactic to get him to commit and simply didn't work. Period. Time to go call option #2 or #3 (Goodson).

Keep spinning though...

Pressure tactic? He made FIVE VISITS TO CAMPUS. If you're not in by then, then you're not in. Seems like a pretty fair way to approach the kid.

"And Breece Hall would leave Goodson in the dust." Did you catch it that time?
I know, I’ve never seen eithers times to determine who was faster and neither have you. And before you post made up 40 times for both don’t..

Pressure tactic? He made FIVE VISITS TO CAMPUS. If you're not in by then, then you're not in. Seems like a pretty fair way to approach the kid.
It is obvious that KF couldn't wait on Brock any longer, and Brock wouldn't commit. No big deal for either as the hawks got Goodson and Brock decided on where he wanted to go.

Reactions: HawkIDrummer

Keep spinning though...

Nice try but you are way off. At time Iowa was only taking one RB in 2019 class. Iowa had Goodson and Brock rated the same. Took the first one to commit. Both players knew this and Goodson even acknowledged it. No coincidence after Goodson gave coaches a verbal before formally announcing little later on social media is when Brock visit was cancelled. So Iowa stopped recruiting Brock and done with RBs for the class until kyshaun Bryan left the program in late Sept. then Iowa landed Byrd from Alabama.

End of the day both programs got a good rb recruit but clone fans spinning it like Iowa got a fall back recruit is just plain false. Goodson’s offer list alone proves that.

Last edited:
I don’t mind the coaches taking Goodson over Brock and taking just 1. My issue is that scholarships always open.... Brock is a hell of talent. Imo you take the talent and worry about spots later. Same thing with Waggoner. Imo they should’ve taken the same approach as they did with John.

Reactions: Niko13
Yeah, maybe, but now he's a top-5 back in the NFL. Who lost out on that deal?

Mark Weisman was our RB that year BTW.

Let’s not bring up that one time when Iowa looked at their roster and featured a FB/LB at tailback :( going through it then was actually easier to deal with then thinking back about what really happened..

Reactions: litegreene
I don’t mind the coaches taking Goodson over Brock and taking just 1. My issue is that scholarships always open.... Brock is a hell of talent. Imo you take the talent and worry about spots later. Same thing with Waggoner. Imo they should’ve taken the same approach as they did with John.

The staff told Brock they still wanted him but couldn't promise him he'd get a shot immediately at RB. They knew things change and still wanted him just in case, but were honest with him and Brock chose to cancel his visit.

The staff handled it about as up front about honest as they could have.

The staff told Brock they still wanted him but couldn't promise him he'd get a shot immediately at RB. They knew things change and still wanted him just in case, but were honest with him and Brock chose to cancel his visit.

One thing you got respect about KF and his staff. You hear time and again from recruits how up front and honest they are with them and their families in many aspects from recruiting to expectations of them once they step foot on campus and zero promises when it comes to stuff like playing time. Always refreshing to hear when you hear stories like the aforementioned Brock when he was talking about Fleck and his used car salesman tactics like endless amount of texts and how they try to force commitments from guys on their visit.

Dwight vs Banks 1992 high school playoffs :D I was lucky enough to be there. It was a back and forth touchdown show between Dwight and Banks. Has to be one of the most entertaining high school games in state history.

Watched Timmy and City High (#1) against my Linn Mar Lions (#4). It was no contest.

I think he carried the ball less than 10 times, because he didn't need to. Still dominated the game on defense and punt returns. He was playing two levels above everyone else in the game.

If he were playing today, he would be a slot receiver with 6 -10 catches a game - college and in the NFL. Throw the ball 5 yards and let him make plays.

I know that. I just think they should have taken the same approach they did with Waggoner. Take the talent and sort it out later.

Brock made six unofficial visits to Iowa, but he canceled his official visit to Iowa City in June. The Hawkeyes ended up signing Tyler Goodson from Georgia and Mekhi Sargent, a transfer from Iowa Western with three years of eligibility remaining.

"I was talking to (Iowa tight ends coach LeVar) Woods, who is the recruiting coordinator for this area. He told me they really wanted me, but they had to take the commitment from the kid from Georgia," Brock said. "He said he didn't know they were taking a junior college back. I think the new running backs coach (Derrick Foster) was more high on the guy from Georgia, and I was kind of Coach Woods' guy.

"They still wanted me to come there, but they didn't want me to be in the same position."
https://www.whig.com/20180728/following-his-heart-brock-recounts-year-long-recruitment-process

Reactions: Romeo10
I agree with you both. I just think like the Waggoner situation that some talent is worth going for it. RB imo is one of those positions we could afford to take talent. Brock was not afraid of competition with Goodson. He was under the impression there was two backs that were gonna be taken. That changed after Mekhi joined the squad. He was told there wasn’t any room.

My issue is and will always be passing on a kid like Brock. Take him and work it out later. We all knew a spot would open. I hope Byrd is great, but I personally loved Brock. Great tape.

Let’s not bring up that one time when Iowa looked at their roster and featured a FB/LB at tailback :( going through it then was actually easier to deal with then thinking back about what really happened..

Does it make you feel better to know that we had Wadley, Daniels, and Canzeri waiting in the wings just in case he went down?

Weisman is a coach at Iowa now. Clearly he was and is a golden child in the eyes of KF.

Thank you for the correction. Brodell saying this was telling: "I could have taken the conservative route and fair caught it..." like he gets taught to do. Pro-Bowl CB Micah Hyde was a fair-catch machine at Iowa and that cost us games. I'm so tired of a conservative PR unit, especially when we have the gamebreaking athletes like Wadley, King, Hyde, Speivey, DJK, etc. that can turn the game with one big return.

Desmond King won us a lot of games with his return ability and that does not get mentioned enough. Sure, he screwed a few up, but net result with him back there was ultra-positive. ISM is same kind of guy, but we, OF COURSE, had some Dutch dude from SD back there handling the duties. To be fair, he was good at PRs, but he's not the same kind of athlete that ISM is.

Last edited:
Reactions: thecarls
wasn't there a dude Jerry Moses back in the '60s? someof you old timers pls give me the scoop on him.
Yes his sons Played for ISU as well with the better of the 2 being JJ Moses. Jerry was the #1 Recruit in the Country I do believe. Not sure how they even ranked kids back in those days.
I’m guessing they started at 1 and went down from there.

I watched one of Gavin's highlight videos. I'm not sure that his high school game will translate to the college game very well. He doesn't seem to have a second gear that Tavian had.

What I really noticed in his video was his play on the defensive side of the ball. He closes to the ball very quickly and seemed to have a nose for the ball. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see him at safety for the Hawks.

Keep spinning though...

JFC. Do you understand English?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT