ADVERTISEMENT

Genesis of "Who hates Iowa, We hate Iowa."

seam

HB All-American
Gold Member
Jun 16, 2002
With the Rodents coming to town, and given that this chant has been discussed quite a bit, I decided to weigh in on the origin of it. I realize that the chant was used before 2008, but 11/22/2008 was the tipping point for its use. The setting is HHH, the final college game in The Hump. Final score: Iowa 55, MN 0. This was the largest shutout Big 10 defeat the Gophers had ever experienced. There were estimates of over 30,000 Hawkeye fans at the game, and they easily dominated any cheering that took place. Near the end of the game, the MN student section started the chant, "Who hates Iowa, we hate Iowa."
Our section started a counter chant, "We LOVE Min ne so ta." Why wouldn't we love the Rodents when we were curb stomping them?
Throughout the game, whenever the 30+ thousand Hawk fans started a cheer, the PA system piped in music, as it was the only way they could drown out the Iowa cheering. That dynamic has carried over to the new stadium. If you were at the game and stayed until the end, you know that Iowa fans celebrated well past the end of the game. The PA folks finally resorted to high decibel shrieking noises, that were painful to the ears, as a means of forcing fans to vacate the Hump.
So, whenever I hear the We hate Iowa chant, it just reminds me that it was started because Iowa inflicted the worst shutout loss in Minnesota's Big 10 history!! It makes me smile every time I hear the Rodent fans chant it. Thanks to them for rekindling the memory!!
FYI, some of the cast that day: Moeaki, Stanza, Greene, Spievey, DJK, Hampton, Murray, etc.
The B10 played in 7 bowl games that season, and won only one of them: Iowa with a 31-10 victory over S Carolina.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.