ADVERTISEMENT

George Floyd arrest body cam videos out

They don’t work for a police dept? I know. One works for the sheriff’s department and the other works for Iowa DPS. That wasn’t what you claimed though. You said that the sheriff and state troopers are not police, when they clearly are. It has nothing to with semantics, but more about correcting your ignorance.

Let’s look at what’s being proposed. Please educate me how defunding the police prevents George Floyd from dying.

You want to restructure what defines police work to include traffic enforcement, but don’t want to include the state patrol when their job is upwards of 90% traffic enforcement? This is like bizarro world logic, but it is 2020 where what we say doesn’t actually mean the definition of what we say. Like defund the police doesn’t actually mean defund and evidently only applies to city police.

If there is a cause that you’d like to me to get behind it would be opening up more mental health facilities, both long term and short term care. Clearing our local jails out of people who really don’t belong there, but are there because we have no better place to bring them is a far bigger issue around the county. Unfortunately that doesn’t that relate to George Floyd, not does it save his life either.

I disagree that a reallocation of policing resources couldn’t have possibly avoided Floyd’s death. We need to commit more resources towards mental health treatment and drug abuse treatment. Anyone with experience in that area knows those two problems go hand in hand but legislators don’t want to pay for mental health activity and they sure as hell don’t want money going towards filthy addicts and drug dependency all decided while lawmakers cut their deals over three martini lunches. Mr Floyd would have probably benefited from both types of underfunded resources.

Or.... not. Offering an explanation for those who are open to it. Obviously you are not. Oh well.

Always open to listen and learn. Currently we are at the 'something different has to happen, not sure what it is but we need to change it' stage. Change without a plan won't do us much good. Will probably even make it worse. I can walk out into the world and find out that everyone can point out what is wrong with things, few can make plans to fix the change. Here is your chance to share your skills in that area.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
Always open to listen and learn. Currently we are at the 'something different has to happen, not sure what it is but we need to change it' stage. Change without a plan won't do us much good. Will probably even make it worse. I can walk out into the world and find out that everyone can point out what is wrong with things, few can make plans to fix the change. Here is your chance to share your skills in that area.
Sigh - I've summarized a number of changes and there are others, more detailed, online. The key to getting change is getting over the resistance to change. It's very hard to do as is evidenced in this thread.

Before you go much further on open v closed mindedness, you should consider others besides yourself might have thought about this topic too and reached a different conclusion. In fact some may actually have personal and professional experience which might hold a slight deference to an armchair qb.

You have an opinion which is fine, but so can others. They aren’t any more close minded than you are. Right?
Could be, but I haven't heard a cogent argument for the status quo. I've heard people balk at change, but not rationale for our current system being the best we can do. If you have one, by all means. But simply rejecting other ideas because they are different is the epitome of closed minded.

Or.... not. Offering an explanation for those who are open to it. Obviously you are not. Oh well.

Before you go much further on being open or closed minded, you might consider other people besides yourself have thought about this topic too and may have reached a different conclusion. In fact some may actually have personal and professional experience.

You have an opinion which is fine. What’s not fine is your assumption a differing opinion is due to close mindedness.

Could be, but I haven't heard a cogent argument for the status quo. I've heard people balk at change, but not rationale for our current system being the best we can do. If you have one, by all means. But simply rejecting other ideas because they are different is the epitome of closed minded.

I accidentally deleted my post. I tried to recreate it before your post. Just explaining what happened.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT