ADVERTISEMENT

George Floyd arrest body cam videos out

When I watched it I was thinking how this thing could seem any worse? Well, it's on the tape for you to watch. Complete indifference to human life. And, the gun was out as soon as the first cop tapped on Floyd's car window.
Hopefully Bill Barr takes a few minutes to watch the video, and then he can review his statements about there being no systemic racism in the US justice system.

Reactions: seam
When I watched it I was thinking how this thing could seem any worse? Well, it's on the tape for you to watch. Complete indifference to human life. And, the gun was out as soon as the first cop tapped on Floyd's car window.
Hopefully Bill Barr takes a few minutes to watch the video, and then he can review his statements about there being no systemic racism in the US justice system.

And they can't help themselves but to mess with the two bystanders.

"You got id?".

It's the very definition of liberty hating, big government loving douchery.

I know that the backlash against the "defund the police" is a big political point for the right wingers, but, man, give me one good reason why taxpayer money should go to continuing to fund crap like this and the system designed to protect it? Especially the abuse of government power...aren't conservatives supposed to be against an overreaching government?

Not to mention they’re supposed to be against unions protecting bad employees. If this was a bad teacher their poutrage would be deafening.

Terrible outcome and the officer needed to let up sooner. The officer that maintained his knee on his neck should be found guilty. But George resisted arrest and was non-compliant EVERY moment on that video. Saying he couldn't breathe when he resisted and was laying in the back of the vehicle, with no one doing anything to him.

Again terrible outcome and not worth losing your life for. Prayers for all involved.

There is no "no tolerance" without defunding and rebuilding. That's the point.

The police have contracts with unions and defined review processes that make reform literally (using that word correctly) impossible. It's why reformer Chiefs have and always will fail; the system is designed specifically to make reform impossible. Only a new system can lead to reform.

People that oppose defunding may not realize that they are arguing against anti-abuse reform, but that's exactly what they are doing.
No, that isn't the point. I have a hard time believing you are an attorney if that's the logic you use.

There’s trends over decades and there’s current statistics.

Homicides are up 16% over last year.
Violent crimes are down merely 2% YTD according to unofficial counts. The methods used to fold in crimes during the riots is unknown...if at all.

Interpretation of data produces information. Conclusions that crime concerns are unwarranted are dubious to say the least.

A 2% YTD decline in violent crime during a time when a massive amount of the population has limited their movement isn’t representative of any significant change.

There’s trends over decades and there’s current statistics.

Homicides are up 16% over last year.
Violent crimes are down merely 2% YTD according to unofficial counts. The methods used to fold in crimes during the riots is unknown...if at all.

Interpretation of data produces information. Conclusions that crime concerns are unwarranted are dubious to say the least.

A 2% YTD decline in violent crime during a time when a massive amount of the population has limited their movement isn’t representative of any significant change.

No one is claiming that there has been a significant decline yr/yr. The issue is that the "unprecedented violence" claim is made up, hysterical nonsense.

Reactions: Obviously Oblivious
They don't control squat. The unions and discipline review processes do, and they are unchangeable, so they need to be replaced with something that serves the needs of taxpayers and the community.

Say you are a reform minded mayor. You are stuck with a review process codified with your agreement with the cops. You install a Chief that wants to end choke holds. The problem is that the discipline review process relies on precedent. The Chief "outlaws" choke holds. Some DB officer keeps choking people. They try to fire him. He appeals to the mandatory review board that rules that he can't be fired because for the prior 40 years other cops were choking people and didn't get fired. It's the same story over and over. There IS NO reform under the current, precedent reliant system. That's the point.

Defunding the police doesn't mean ending law enforcement. Sure, it sounds scary and is an especially effective political message with people that that like to be scared. In reality, It's an end around against a system that BE DEFINTION prevents the reform the status quo lovers pretend to favor. It's a way, the only way, to break the bureaucratic barriers to improvement.

If it's possible to reform a police department without rebuilding it entirely than I would prefer to do that. But some of these departments are so controlled by the police unions now that they essentially no longer respond to the policies of the civilian government that is elected to oversee them. In that case we should not keep sending them money.

If the military no longer responded to the president's orders but instead responded the orders of some random general who didn't care what the president had to say, we would not keep sending them money.

If a police force no longer responds to the orders of the elected officials designated to oversee the department, we stop sending them money and create a new department that responds to civilian authority.

If it's possible to reform a police department without rebuilding it entirely than I would prefer to do that. But some of these departments are so controlled by the police unions now that they essentially no longer respond to the policies of the civilian government that is elected to oversee them. In that case we should not keep sending them money.

If the military no longer responded to the president's orders but instead responded the orders of some random general who didn't care what the president had to say, we would not keep sending them money.

If a police force no longer responds to the orders of the elected officials designated to oversee the department, we stop sending them money and create a new department that responds to civilian authority.

Exactly. And the required review boards are at least as much of a problem as the unions.

Another sad thing is that the existing system, designed to protect bad cops, makes things harder for good cops. The status quo lovers want to ensure that it stays that way.

Reactions: seam and Fluffles
1024px-United_States_homicide_offending_rates_by_race_1980_2008.svg.png

The biggest drop in crime came 18 - 20 years after Roe vs. Wade and blacks abortion rate was 3 x the national average. The reduction in the number of potential criminals 18 years later was predictable. These are facts...

Reactions: RileyHawk
I watched all the videos, my casual observer and impartial thoughts:

- He displayed what appeared to be signs of cardiac-arrest or some other drug/anxiety/adrenaline overload very early, and when sitting in the back of the police car.

- Why not just stay in back of the car George? Or, why did police pull him back out of the car when he was contained?

- Officers sounded very professional in their tone. They were in control of themselves.

-Officers did not seem like they had a cohesive plan to resolve the situation and take George to the station even though they clearly were going to arrest based on passing phony bills. They kept shuffling him around. George did nothing to help himself by resisting but I’d like to better understand what was the officer’s plan to transport George and book him? He was in the car at one stage, why not shut the doors and go? Or, was that squad car not equipped properly to transport a suspect? Was there more to be done at the scene first? Why not place George in back of squad car and lock doors while officers finish?

- George showed signs of a health condition/drug condition early in the arrest that clearly played a role in his death. The charge on Officer Chauvin clearly now should not be Murder 3. Manslaughter would be more appropriate charge to seek at best.

Reactions: hawkosx
1024px-United_States_homicide_offending_rates_by_race_1980_2008.svg.png

The biggest drop in crime came 18 - 20 years after Roe vs. Wade and blacks abortion rate was 3 x the national average. The reduction in the number of potential criminals 18 years later was predictable. These are facts...

First of all do you have a source for that graph? I don't care how official it looks, anyone can draw a graph to show anything they want to show.

You could just as easily say shoving them all in jail like we did in the 90's did the trick.

You are far over simplifying a complex issue. For example explain why the trend went down until the mid 80's and bottomed out at a rate that we wouldn't see again until 1996.

Actually, in the 25 largest cities, violent crime is down slightly v. last year. The "unprecedented violence" claim is absolute horseshit. Violent crime was MUCH higher in the 80's and 90's. In general, crime is at lows not seen in many decades. Unfortunately, people like being fearful so they overstate the crime threat.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/feature...nced-crime-is-rising-in-the-u-s-theyre-wrong/

Honest question: I know that’s not what you are saying here, but do you believe less cops equals less violent crimes?

I watched all the videos, my casual observer and impartial thoughts:

- He displayed what appeared to be signs of cardiac-arrest or some other drug/anxiety/adrenaline overload very early, and when sitting in the back of the police car.

- Why not just stay in back of the car George? Or, why did police pull him back out of the car when he was contained?

- Officers sounded very professional in their tone. They were in control of themselves.

-Officers did not seem like they had a cohesive plan to resolve the situation and take George to the station even though they clearly were going to arrest based on passing phony bills. They kept shuffling him around. George did nothing to help himself by resisting but I’d like to better understand what was the officer’s plan to transport George and book him? He was in the car at one stage, why not shut the doors and go? Or, was that squad car not equipped properly to transport a suspect? Was there more to be done at the scene first? Why not place George in back of squad car and lock doors while officers finish?

- George showed signs of a health condition/drug condition early in the arrest that clearly played a role in his death. The charge on Officer Chauvin clearly now should not be Murder 3. Manslaughter would be more appropriate charge to seek at best.
8:46

I'm not sure I understand the point of this. Is this meant as a rationale for an 8-minute throat restraint?
Eat a dick, brah.

I was simply passing along news that might be interesting.

You can damn well bet if there would have ANYTHING in there that was damning to the cops we wouldn’t be seeing it 2 months later.

Minnesota has 2 Democratic Senators, a Dem governor, that area has a Dem representative, a Dem mayor who appointed a Dem Police chief who works for a Dem backing union and the numbnuts who killed him was a democrat as well... the full sweep.

But somehow this is all white people’s fault.

Defund/Abolish then all for all I care. We can go back to the Wyatt Earp days if you want.

I know that the backlash against the "defund the police" is a big political point for the right wingers, but, man, give me one good reason why taxpayer money should go to continuing to fund crap like this and the system designed to protect it? Especially the abuse of government power...aren't conservatives supposed to be against an overreaching government?

That’s like asking why people want to keep paying for teacher rape.

They don’t. But kids need teaching the same way public safety needs to be maintained. I still haven’t heard one single bit of support for those Minny cops that killed Floyd.

Now...PGA thread time.

Eat a dick, brah.

I was simply passing along news that might be interesting.

You can damn well bet if there would have ANYTHING in there that was damning to the cops we wouldn’t be seeing it 2 months later.

Minnesota has 2 Democratic Senators, a Dem governor, that area has a Dem representative, a Dem mayor who appointed a Dem Police chief who works for a Dem backing union and the numbnuts who killed him was a democrat as well... the full sweep.

But somehow this is all white people’s fault.

Defund/Abolish then all for all I care. We can go back to the Wyatt Earp days if you want.
No. Just.... no. We've not seen this exactly because cops don't want this getting out.

Reactions: millah_22
No. Just.... no. We've not seen this exactly because cops don't want this getting out.
No one can be this oblivious to reality...

First off, the guy who kill Mr. Floyd should never be a cop again and should do some time in jail, but murder 2 (or 3 in Minnesota) is ridiculous.

This tape helps the cops. They were respectful and nothing on those tapes depicts racial motives. Mr. Floyd was agitated and upset and did everything he could to be uncooperative. Again this does not absolve them of wrongdoing and they should be punished accordingly. And no he didn't deserve to die from passing fake money. None of them should ever be cops again.

This was withheld by AG Ellison who is in the top 10 for biggest POS to ever walk the Earth. And this was a leak... not even officially released.

P.S. I hate cops... I'm using the word hate for an entire profession... it attracts the wrong type of individuals who have very little accountability. So I am no police apologist.

There’s a reason this isn’t getting a whole lot of air time on the news. It doesn’t fit the narrative. Hell even the usual leftists throwing fits everyday on this board haven’t said much. Wonder why that might be.

No one can be this oblivious to reality...

First off, the guy who kill Mr. Floyd should never be a cop again and should do some time in jail, but murder 2 (or 3 in Minnesota) is ridiculous.

This tape helps the cops. They were respectful and nothing on those tapes depicts racial motives. Mr. Floyd was agitated and upset and did everything he could to be uncooperative. Again this does not absolve them of wrongdoing and they should be punished accordingly. And no he didn't deserve to die from passing fake money. None of them should ever be cops again.

This was withheld by AG Ellison who is in the top 10 for biggest POS to ever walk the Earth. And this was a leak... not even officially released.

P.S. I hate cops... I'm using the word hate for an entire profession... it attracts the wrong type of individuals who have very little accountability. So I am no police apologist.
Lol - no, it doesn't help the cops. It shows Floyd did nothing that would justify the brutality he received. It's insane to suggest this helps the policemen.

ADVERTISEMENT