ADVERTISEMENT

George Kittle--Belichick: "He's as good as anybody I’ve coached." 2019 1ST Team All Pro. 1,000+ Yds in 2019 & 2018

49ers-Rams pregame report: George Kittle looks good to go

By CAM INMAN |
cinman@bayareanewsgroup.com |
Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: October 13, 2019 at 11:43 am | UPDATED: October 13, 2019 at 1:05 pm

LOS ANGELES — Tight end George Kittle has only missed one game in his 49ers career, and he won’t be missing today’s visit to the Los Angeles Rams despite Friday’s groin injury.

Kittle looked OK in warmups about two hours before kickoff. He’s excelled in his previous two Coliseum appearances: his nine-catch, 149-yard effort last year sealed his NFL single-season record for tight ends (1,377 yards), and he had a 100-yard outing in the 2017 season finale that the 49ers won here.

Kittle’s receiving totals are down this year (23 catches, 235 yards, one TD) but he’s delivered excellent blocks for the league’s No. 1 rushing attack, and he could be summoned to help replace injured fullback Kyle Juszczyk. Backup tight end Ross Dwelley also figures to morph into the fullback role. Juszczyk is out four to six weeks with a knee sprain.

Kittle has started 20 consecutive games and only missed one, a Nov. 12, 2017 win over the New York Giants because of an ankle injury.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/10...com&utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_medium=social

Kittle had a MONSTER First Half.

EGymJXNU4AARquh

Last edited:
George Kittle has broken the 100 yard mark.

He is 8/8 for 103 yards (long of 45 yds)

The 49'ers look to be on their way to a 5-0 record, leading the Rams 20-7 with 12 minutes to go in the game.

Kittle buoys 49ers offense with another 100-yard performance despite groin injury
49ers QB Jimmy Garoppolo called George Kittle ‘an animal’ after win over NFC West rival Rams

By CAM INMAN |
cinman@bayareanewsgroup.com |
Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: October 13, 2019 at 6:35 pm | UPDATED: October 13, 2019 at 6:45 pm

LOS ANGELES – Jimmy Garoppolo wrapped up another 49ers win with a nod to his favorite target, George Kittle.

“George is an animal,” Garoppolo began. “He’s an interesting individual. I don’t know what he does on a daily basis. But you’ve just got to tip your hat to him.”

Garoppolo just had to get the ball to Kittle on Sunday to get the offense going, a predictable scenario but one that fell in doubt when Kittle tweaked his groin at Friday’s practice.

Kittle produced 103 receiving yards in the undefeated 49ers’ 20-7 win over the Los Angeles Rams, catching all eight passes when he was officially targeted by Garoppolo, whose interception actually was intended for Kittle but instead assigned as a target to Deebo Samuel.

Did Kittle have any doubt he’d play?

“No chance,” Kittle responded. “Like I said, this is a game I had on my calendar for a year. I haven’t liked the way we played against them the last two years. This is a ‘dub’ we needed to get.”

The 49ers (5-0) play again on the road next Sunday, when they visit Washington (1-5).

Kittle is not planning on taking the game off to get healthier.

“You kidding me? Come on now,” Kittle said.

As for the severity of his injury, “It is what it is,” Kittle added. “I play football, so it’s all right.”

Coach Kyle Shanahan noticed the injury might be straining Kittle, however, so his playing time diminished as the minutes expired from the 49ers’ second-half burst.

“He was grinding out the whole game,” Shanahan said. “You could tell he was hobbling at the end, so we got him out.”

Before he got out, Kittle provided many memorable moments, and one that might get overlooked was his block that helped spring Tevin Coleman’s 2-ayrd touchdown run as the 49ers tied it at 7.

His highlight-reel play was a 45-yard reception in which he spun off two defenders and eventually was dragged down by four Rams at the 6-yard line.

“You just find space and slash,” Kittle said. “That’s all we talk about, trying to get YAC (yards after catch). I like YAC, it’s my favorite thing out there. It was just an easy corner route, cut it a little short and just found open space.”

Garoppolo has grown to rely on Kittle as a real playmaker, a rarity from the tight end position.

“George is just one of those guys, you get him the ball in space, he’s going to make guys miss, he’s going to make big plays for you,” Garoppolo added.

Three snaps later, Garoppolo tried getting Kittle his second touchdown in as many games, only to see the Rams maul Kittle in the end zone, allowing Marcus Peters to make an interception.

Kittle dismissed it as a bad play on an otherwise great day, one made more spectacular by the huge presence of 49ers fans. “Our fans showed up today. You could feel it the entire game. It made it feel like a home game.”

49ers-Rams-Football_5-2.jpg

49ers-Rams-Football_4-4.jpg

1180860579.jpg

49ers-Rams-Football-7.jpg

1180877756.jpg

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/10...er-100-yard-performance-despite-groin-injury/

Here is a pretty cool podcast with George "The Animal" Kittle.

They brought in Panda Express, too!

This is really cool & worth the time. They talk about a lot of topics, including the letter Bruce Kittle writes to his son before every game.

At the 12:30 mark they talk about how the Iowa coaches, after his freshman year at Iowa, discussed with him moving to Outside Linebacker because at the time, he was still 6'2 and only 210 lbs. Eventually, after talking to his Iowa TE coach & his dad, they decided it was best to stick at TE.

Skip ahead to the 2:17 mark.

They open with asking George about his playing days at Iowa.

Here are TWO WAYS to Watch:

(1) YouTube (www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUEH3ARHcuo&feature=youtu.be):

(2) The ABC Station's Web site:

https://abc7news.com/sports/with-authority-san-francisco-49ers-tight-end-george-kittle/5625030/

A Picture from the podcast:

EHAs9_QVAAA2IWv

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT