ADVERTISEMENT

George Zimmerman suing Trayvon Martin’s family and others for $100 million

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
George Zimmerman, the man acquitted of killing unarmed black teen Trayvon Martin in 2012, is now suing the boy’s family, their attorneys and the prosecutors for damages in excess of $100 million.

Zimmerman, a former neighborhood watch volunteer, has said he was defending himself while being attacked when he shot and killed Martin, 17, in a gated community in the central Florida city of Sanford in February 2012.

ADVERTISEMENT
Martin, who lived in Miami Gardens, was visiting his father at the time.

Zimmerman’s trial and acquittal sparked protests and a national debate about race relations. The Justice Department later decided not to bring a civil rights case against Zimmerman.

The lawsuit alleges “malicious prosecution” by prosecutors, defamation by both Martin’s defense attorney and a book publishing company, and “civil conspiracy” by Martin’s family and lawyer “to put on a false witness with a made-to-order false storyline to try to fraudulently create probable cause to” get a conviction.

But Benjamin Crump, the Martin family’s defense attorney, replied Wednesday by calling the lawsuit baseless.

"I have every confidence that this unfounded and reckless lawsuit will be revealed for what it is — another failed attempt to defend the indefensible and a shameless attempt to profit off the lives and grief of others,” Crump said.

RELATED: Trayvon Martin’s mom announces run for Miami-Dade commission »
Zimmerman’s attorney, Boca Raton-based Larry Klayman, a former federal prosecutor, said the lawsuit was filed Wednesday in Polk County. He alleges that the prosecution’s key witness in his 2013 murder trial, Rachel Jeantel, was an “imposter and fake witness.”

Klayman said the suit’s allegations are the result of what’s been published in a book and film by film director Joel Gilbert, called “The Trayvon Hoax: Unmasking the Witness Fraud that Divided America.”

The complaint alleges that in March 2012, the Sanford Police Department closed the case as self-defense. But a week later, Crump produced an audio recording of “Diamond Eugene,” who was Martin’s 16-year-old girlfriend who had been on the phone with Martin just before the altercation with Zimmerman, the complaint said.

The complaint alleges two weeks later, 18-year-old Rachel Jeantel told prosecutors she was Diamond Eugene “and provided false statements to incriminate Zimmerman based on coaching from others.”

The lawyers argue that based on Martin’s cellphone records, Rachel Jeantel was not Martin’s girlfriend, was not on the phone with him before the altercation, and that “she lied repeatedly to cause Zimmerman’s arrest and to try to send him to prison for life."

During the trial, Rachel Jeantel told the court she signed her name as Diamond Eugene in a letter to Martin’s mother about the shooting.

According to the lawsuit, "Defendant Jeantel lied repeatedly about having a relationship with Trayvon, about being on the phone with Trayvon in the days and minutes up to his death, and lied about everything she claimed to have heard over the phone in the hours and minutes prior to Trayvon’s death. Defendant Jeantel also lied about her identity, falsely claiming her nickname to be 'Diamond Eugene.’ "

Lawyers allege the real Diamond Eugene was Brittany Diamond Eugene, a Miami resident who "refused to bear false witness against Zimmerman.”

Klayman said Wednesday that the allegations didn’t come out at trial, and it was “the fraud that was perpetuated on the court.”

“It was a complete travesty of justice which destroyed my client’s life,” Klayman said. "People are destroyed and smeared and they have to start fighting back.”

The lawsuit said Zimmerman dropped out of school after the charges, has received death threats and has suffered “great mental anguish, resulting in Zimmerman requiring professional treatment by psychologists for anxiety, depression, insomnia, and weight gain."

Zimmerman is also suing civil rights attorney Crump and HarperCollins Publishers, accusing them of defaming him in Crump’s book published in October called “Open Season: Legalized Genocide of Colored People,” “with actual malice knowing the untruth or at a minimum a reckless disregard for the truth,” according to the lawsuit.

Crump on Wednesday responded in an email sent by his office, saying it was on behalf of himself, Fulton, and Tracy Martin, Trayvon Martin’s father: “This plaintiff continues to display a callous disregard for everyone but himself, revictimizing individuals whose lives were shattered by his own misguided actions.

"He would have us believe that he is the innocent victim of a deep conspiracy, despite the complete lack of any credible evidence to support his outlandish claims,” Crump wrote. "This tale defies all logic, and it’s time to close the door on these baseless imaginings.”

A spokeswoman for New York-based HarperCollins said she could not immediately comment Wednesday. Sybrina Fulton, Martin’s mother, couldn’t be reached for comment Wednesday, through her foundation, The Trayvon Martin Foundation.

Fulton is currently running as a 2020 Democrat candidate for the Miami-Dade County Commission, District 1 seat.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/nati...0191204-fdxvoqouvvbwlol2cseeaa4vum-story.html

George Zimmerman, the man acquitted of killing unarmed black teen Trayvon Martin in 2012, is now suing the boy’s family, their attorneys and the prosecutors for damages in excess of $100 million.

Zimmerman, a former neighborhood watch volunteer, has said he was defending himself while being attacked when he shot and killed Martin, 17, in a gated community in the central Florida city of Sanford in February 2012.
It appears he was a "community watch volunteer" who took the duty upon himself - a "community watch volunteer" who claimed he didn't know the name of one of the three streets in the community he volunteered to watch. It is also more likely than not that Martin was defending himself from Zimmerman when he was shot and killed. Zimmerman's story was total bullshit. The prosecutor screwed that pooch.

It appears he was a "community watch volunteer" who took the duty upon himself - a "community watch volunteer" who claimed he didn't know the name of one of the three streets in the community he volunteered to watch. It is also more likely than not that Martin was defending himself from Zimmerman when he was shot and killed. Zimmerman's story was total bullshit. The prosecutor screwed that pooch.
Why do you say this?

To be honest. I know Main Street in my town and the one I live on. The rest mean zero to me.

It is also more likely than not that Martin was defending himself from Zimmerman when he was shot and killed. Zimmerman's story was total bullshit.
Sure. Go on.

Facts are en route?

I'm all for a challenge flag. Reverse the call on the field.

Interesting he filed in Polk County. He might as well have filed in Alabama.
“Zimmerman’s attorney, Boca Raton-based Larry Klayman, a former federal prosecutor,said the lawsuit was filed Wednesday afternoon in Polk County because that’s where Zimmerman lives.”

“Zimmerman’s attorney, Boca Raton-based Larry Klayman, a former federal prosecutor,said the lawsuit was filed Wednesday afternoon in Polk County because that’s where Zimmerman lives.”
Him living in Polk County is a perfect fit.

Reactions: dgordo

Never mind the facts and acquittal lol

Sure. Go on.

Facts are en route?

I'm all for a challenge flag. Reverse the call on the field.
I won't go through the whole thing again. Coupla points - on the night in question, Zimmerman gave his statement. It's available online. Z said he was on the sidewalk at a specific spot when Martin came out of the darkness, confronted him, sucker-punched him knocking him directly to the ground, straddled him, and began beating him. Z pulled his gun and shot Martin killing him. Z rolled Martin off and got up.

Problem...Martin's body was easily thirty feet from where Z claimed the altercation took place.

Also, Z was on the phone with 911 during a large part of his pursuit of Martin. The timeline of that call doesn't remotely match what Z later claimed occurred. (yeah - he changed his story and claimed that he and Martin struggled before they went down to explain why Martin's body was so far from where Z originally claimed the struggle took place). The time-stamped text of the call used to be available - it may still be. There's absolutely no way he could have done what he claims he did in the time available. He lied. And the prosecution let him.

Textbook example of ED correlation with brain damage. MPD!!! MPD!!! MPD!!!

There's absolutely no way he could have done what he claims he did in the time available.
It was exactly 3 minutes and 14 seconds from the time Zimmerman’s call ended to the moment he fired the gun. What did Zimmerman claim to do that could not possibly have occurred in 3 minutes and 14 seconds?

It was exactly 3 minutes and 14 seconds from the time Zimmerman’s call ended to the moment he fired the gun. What did Zimmerman claim to do that could not possibly have occurred in 3 minutes and 14 seconds?
He got out of his car. He walked. He was told by the dispatcher to go back to his car. He says he did that.

Zimmerman: Um, then, dispatcher told me that, 'Where are you?" and I said, "Fm trying to find out where he went.". And, he said, we don't need you to do that. And I said, "Okay." Uh, he said, "We already have a police officer en route." And I said, "All right," and I, I had gone where, through the dog walk where I normally walk my dog and walked back through to my street, the street that loops around and he said, "We already have a police officer on the way," so I said, "Okay." I told - base said, "Would you like a police officer to meet you?" and I said, "Yes," and I told him where my car was and the make and the model.

In the call, Z can be heard getting out of his car at 7:11:42. Dispatch tells him they don't need him following Martin and he acknowledges that. He claims that by that time, he has left his car and walked all the way to the road that circles the complex - Retreat View Circle. That's a distance of approximately 300 feet. Try walking the length of a football field and tell me how long it took you. Zimmerman did it in less than 20 seconds per the phone call. According to him.

Zimmerman: So, I was walking back through to where my car was and he jumped out from the bushes and he said, "What the fvck's your problem, homey?" and I got my cell phone out to call 91 1 this time. And I said, "Hey man, I don't have a problem," and he goes, "No, now you have a problem," and he punched me in the nose. At that point, I fell down, uh, I tried to defend myself. He just started punching me in the face and, uh, I started screaming for help. I couldn't see. I couldn't breathe. Then he started taking

Investigator Singleton: Were you still standing at this point?

Zimmennan: No, ma'am.

Investigator Singleton Okay.

George Zimmerman: I fell to the ground when he punched me the first time.

Investigator Singleton: Okay.

George Zimmerman: I, it was dark. I didn't even see him getting ready to punch me. As soon as he punched me, I fell backwards, um, into the grass and he grabbed me...

trayvon-martin-george-zimmerman-timing.jpg

So Zimmerman walked/jogged/ran from Twin Trees Lane (the road whose name he couldn't remember) to Retreat View Circle...in 20 seconds...along the yellow dotted line. As he was walking back, he's confronted by Martin at the T-intersection of the sidewalks between those two buildings. He's punched and immediately falls to the ground per his own testimony. He shoots Martin there.

See that red box? That's where Martin's body was found. Why don't you explain how the body got so far away from where Zimmerman initially claimed the fight and shooting took place?

Last edited:
maybe if this lawsuit would have come sooner we could have saved the auto zone from burning down

Sounds legitimate to me as Travelon tried killing Mr. Zimmermann just prior to getting a taste of his own medicine.

The complaint alleges that in March 2012, the Sanford Police Department closed the case as self-defense. But a week later, Crump produced an audio recording of “Diamond Eugene,” who was Martin’s 16-year-old girlfriend who had been on the phone with Martin just before the altercation with Zimmerman, the complaint said.

The complaint alleges two weeks later, 18-year-old Rachel Jeantel told prosecutors she was Diamond Eugene “and provided false statements to incriminate Zimmerman based on coaching from others.”

The lawyers argue that based on Martin’s cellphone records, Rachel Jeantel was not Martin’s girlfriend, was not on the phone with him before the altercation, and that “she lied repeatedly to cause Zimmerman’s arrest and to try to send him to prison for life."

During the trial, Rachel Jeantel told the court she signed her name as Diamond Eugene in a letter to Martin’s mother about the shooting.

According to the lawsuit, "Defendant Jeantel lied repeatedly about having a relationship with Trayvon, about being on the phone with Trayvon in the days and minutes up to his death, and lied about everything she claimed to have heard over the phone in the hours and minutes prior to Trayvon’s death. Defendant Jeantel also lied about her identity, falsely claiming her nickname to be 'Diamond Eugene.’ "

Lawyers allege the real Diamond Eugene was Brittany Diamond Eugene, a Miami resident who "refused to bear false witness against Zimmerman.”

Klayman said Wednesday that the allegations didn’t come out at trial, and it was “the fraud that was perpetuated on the court.”

Never heard this angle.
So if he can convince a civil jury in Polk county that Crump concocted this witness he can get into his pockets?

I won't go through the whole thing again. Coupla points - on the night in question, Zimmerman gave his statement. It's available online. Z said he was on the sidewalk at a specific spot when Martin came out of the darkness, confronted him, sucker-punched him knocking him directly to the ground, straddled him, and began beating him. Z pulled his gun and shot Martin killing him. Z rolled Martin off and got up.

Problem...Martin's body was easily thirty feet from where Z claimed the altercation took place.

Also, Z was on the phone with 911 during a large part of his pursuit of Martin. The timeline of that call doesn't remotely match what Z later claimed occurred. (yeah - he changed his story and claimed that he and Martin struggled before they went down to explain why Martin's body was so far from where Z originally claimed the struggle took place). The time-stamped text of the call used to be available - it may still be. There's absolutely no way he could have done what he claims he did in the time available. He lied. And the prosecution let him.

I can’t believe the prosecution didn’t consult you since you’re such an expert with all the facts. Shoulda been a slam dunk case.

ADVERTISEMENT