ADVERTISEMENT

George's Buffet still spry at 85

lucas80

HB King
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2008
Good times in IC tonight as Dave Zollo played to a fairly large crowd at George's Buffet. The iconic IC bar is turning 85 this year. Some of the clientele in attendance tonight just might have been there for the opening night 85 years ago.
I believe @jamesvanderwulf poured the foundation, or knows someone who murdered someone in the alley behind George's.
CSB

When I actually lived in IC, 1976-1984 we always met another couple who lived over on Wayne Ave. at George’s before Iowa BB games and would carpool to the game because they had a pass so we could park close and walk the steam tunnels to the old field house. Of course Zollo is from Wellman and one of my old employees used to manage his High and Lonesome Band. I think the guy the cops always thought murdered Kriz but couldn’t prove it, died a couple of years ago…

Last edited:
When I actually lived in IC, 1976-1984 we always met another couple who lived over on Wayne Ave. at George’s before Iowa BB games and would carpool to the game because they had a pass so we could park close and walk the steam tunnels to the old field house. Of course Zollo is from Wellman and one of my old employees used to manage his High and Lonesome Band. I think the guy the cops always thought murdered Kris but couldn’t prove it, died a couple of years ago…
Kris? Was that the drummer?

I’ve literally never heard of this bar, where is it?
Season 4 Whatever GIF by The Office

Reactions: Tunadog and lucas80
They had a 1939 ale created for the night, and did a lot of stuff to carry on the theme. Kind of sad they didn't go with a 1939 price for that beer. And, the Shannon's Supper Club mentioned is now the site of Red's.

Last edited:
Kriz-Georges-Buffet-Tavern-2-300x234.jpg

I didn't place the name, but Ed's son Tom is the long time Johnson County Treasurer, right?

Good times in IC tonight as Dave Zollo played to a fairly large crowd at George's Buffet. The iconic IC bar is turning 85 this year. Some of the clientele in attendance tonight just might have been there for the opening night 85 years ago.
I believe @jamesvanderwulf poured the foundation, or knows someone who murdered someone in the alley behind George's.
CSB
Did you get a cheese burger?

When I actually lived in IC, 1976-1984 we always met another couple who lived over on Wayne Ave. at George’s before Iowa BB games and would carpool to the game because they had a pass so we could park close and walk the steam tunnels to the old field house. Of course Zollo is from Wellman and one of my old employees used to manage his High and Lonesome Band. I think the guy the cops always thought murdered Kriz but couldn’t prove it, died a couple of years ago…
I’ve literally never heard of this bar, where is it?
Market street.

Kriz-Georges-Buffet-Tavern-2-300x234.jpg

Irving Webber has nothing on you. Nada. You my dude are Iowa City. My dead uncle knew of ic history since 1957 when he moved to ic but he dead now so I rely on you. Besides pickleball and all things concrete, u are an Iowa city encyclopedia.

Did you get a cheese burger?
Sadly, no, I went to dinner with the oldest daughter at the Black Angel just before I went to George's. It turned into a bit of a high school reunion and when Zollo finished his last set I was trying to get some people to create a permission structure to gorge without success. But, DAMN they smelled good

Reactions: GOHOX69
I didn't place the name, but Ed's son Tom is the long time Johnson County Treasurer, right?
Yeah, I believe that's right. Robert Schneider is dead now but I think his brother John has the ice cream shop in Tiffin. They used to have Slim's Bar in Tiffin where there were lots of fights. I know two of the brothers ( not John ) never spoke to one another for years till they ran into each other in Menards where a fight broke out in the check out aisle. On the bright side 11% off for both of them... :)

Sadly, no, I went to dinner with the oldest daughter at the Black Angel just before I went to George's. It turned into a bit of a high school reunion and when Zollo finished his last set I was trying to get some people to create a permission structure to gorge without success. But, DAMN they smelled good
Did you try the mushrooms at the black angel. It's apparently something amazing per reddit.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT