ADVERTISEMENT

Georgia girl fighting for her life after Pit Bull attack

farmandfleet

HR MVP
May 31, 2020
A 15-year-old Georgia girl was fighting for her life Monday after being mauled by two pit bulls while taking a walk in her neighborhood.

Joslyn Stinchcomb had her scalp torn off, her left ear bit off and her trachea damaged in the vicious attack Friday in Barrow County, local paper Classic City News reported.

The soon-to-be high school sophomore was strolling in her Winder neighborhood when the dogs began chasing her.

A Barrow County Sheriff’s deputy arrived at the scene to find the teenager lying face down against a curb, with one dog grabbing her neck and the other gnawing at her head, according to a police report.

The deputy shot and injured one of the pit bulls as it approached him, scaring the other one off. The dogs were found at their owner’s house and later euthanized, the News reported.

Joslyn-Stinchcomb-Facebook.jpg

Joslyn Stinchcomb was fighting to survive the brutal attack.

The owner, 29-year-old Alexandria Torregrossa, was arrested and charged with reckless conduct after she returned home, according to the report.

Joslyn remained in the intensive care unit at an Atlanta hospital on Monday. She initially had to be put on a ventilator because of the condition her trachea was left in.

HUNDREDS INFECTED WITH CORONAVIRUS AT GEORGIA SLEEPAWAY CAMP

Doctors were able to reattach her ear, but it’s unclear whether she will ever be able to use it again, her aunt, Charity Stinchcomb Montgomery, told the paper.

They “don’t know if she will be able to hear out of that ear,” Montgomery said.

The girl, a flutist in her school marching band, also lost much of her hair in the attack, and her aunt said there’s a chance it never grows back.

So much nerve damage was done that it “may affect her smile, her blinking and other facial expressions,” Montgomery said.

“There is still so much that we don’t know about her injuries,” she added, “but we know that God knows and that can heal her.”

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Joslyn is scheduled to undergo another surgery on Tuesday, in an attempt to repair nerves on the left side of her face, as well as her vocal cords and airway, family members said.

The family has requested that anyone willing to donate toward medical expenses for Joslyn do so through a PayPal link.

Get rid of that breed.

It's not a breed, it's a generalization.

I absolutely despise those dogs. No redeeming value IMO.

The dog is fine, it's the owner.

Damnit, I have now had to become a defender on this topic. We adopted a mutt who ended up being full blood Am Staff. He is the most gentle and tolerant dog with my kids. My personal sample size of 1 says they can be great dogs.

May have the most passive-agressive PB owner in my neighborhood - btw, NOT a trailer park!

Walks his THREE on an electronic leash. Told me he has three remotes but didn't produce them. They run all up on lawns and drives but do stay within, idk, 40 feet of him.

According to him he's VERY legal by city code.

Code, Schmode. People see three untethered Pits and get a little nervous. Which, imo, he loves.

Reactions: goldmom

Damnit, I have now had to become a defender on this topic. We adopted a mutt who ended up being full blood Am Staff. He is the most gentle and tolerant dog with my kids. My personal sample size of 1 says they can be great dogs.

Same thing the other owners said before they suddenly snapped and killed somebody.

Normally you only see this sort of story associated with beagles.
Hah. I was going to say miniature goldendoodles. That's beauty of them - they could go OFF in a fit a rage and nothing of consequence would really happen. Not that I think they even have a fit or rage in them, as that has been bred out along with shedding.

Dude, come on. Breeds matter. Yes, a dog of any breed can be an asshole. But this story happens over and over and over with pit bulls. Pitbulls are sweet until they are not, after something is triggered. It is not the owner but something with how the dog is wired. It is like trying to make a wild animal pet, to an extent. They are indeed more domesticated but really they never are fully.

Dude, come on. Breeds matter. Yes, a dog of any breed can be an asshole. But this story happens over and over and over with pit bulls. Pitbulls are sweet until they are not, after something is triggered. It is not the owner but something with how the dog is wired. It is like trying to make a wild animal pet, to an extent. They are indeed more domesticated but really they never are fully.
20180914_Deadly_Dogs_Forbes.jpg

Yes, breed does matter. But ownership matters as much. Not arguing that certain dogs have certain traits.

<shrug>, again, you could make the same argument for almost all dogs to possibly bite. Break up all the pit bulls into the respective breed and the numbers come down.

Unfortunately, the breed does have an ownership type correlation and I think that plays as much of a role.

Yes, breed does matter. But ownership matters as much. Not arguing that certain dogs have certain traits.

<shrug>, again, you could make the same argument for almost all dogs to possibly bite. Break up all the pit bulls into the respective breed and the numbers come down.

Unfortunately, the breed does have an ownership type correlation and I think that plays as m284uch of a role.
So according to Russ's chart, pit bull owners are 6.3 times worse than Rottweiler owners and 47.3 times worse than doberman pinscher owners?

Surprisingly Shih Poos didn’t make it either.

kTQaNUi.jpg

Oh, don’t mind him. He always has blood on his lips.
From medium rare steak that may or may not find its way into his/her bowl! And damn that looks like a cross between our two mini goldendoodles. Just a real bad ass.

Reactions: Nipigu

So, pass a law that all of them must be registered and chiped, and if the dog attacks or kills anyone, the OWNER is charged with the assault or murder.

I will share my story and you take from it what you will: Growing up i worked at a local hunt club and trained many hunting dogs, my family has always had dogs and until about 2 years ago I was entirely in the "its not the dog its the owner" camp. I have an undergrad degree in psych and buisness and went on to get my masters in counseling. I have worked with adult prison populations, juvenile homes, and the SUDP program at the VA. I am telling you this simply to say Ive got a pretty decent education and knowledge of behavior modification and personality management.

When my wife and I got our first house together she wanted to rescue a dog. At the time I was worried it was our first dog together so we agreed to get a pure breed Boxer that we were able to buy at a very young age and train him to be part of our family. Fast forward 5-6 years, and wife and I moved to DM and its now time we think we are ready for a rescue as we have a very good gold standard in place. Then we got Rocky. Rocky, is a "boxer" by the rescue paperwork but looking at him and my "real" boxer its very obvious he is a boxer pit mix. We got Rocks when he was what we think was 3-5 months old, prior to living with us he was with the policeman that pulled him out of deplorable conditions as a very young pup. Rocky has never been abused, he is very well taken care of, and has never gone wanting since he has been part of our family. Rocky is my biggest cause of Anxeity in life. The scarediest I have been as an adult was the day i got a call tell me he was loose in our neighborhood of wdm when we lived there. He gets in the mood when he is insecure where he is unpredictable and you better be real confident when you approach him because if he senses you are nervous he will (so far act) like he is going to fvck you up. He has never actually attacked anyone but he is a little Beta b1tch. (I say that but he is 70 pounds and easily the most athletic dog I have ever seen, he can standing jump my 6 foot retaining wall) I walk my dogs daily, both are very obedient and with me are great dogs. If we had not moved to the country rocky would have been put down because he cannot be fully trusted. No amount of training, exercise, or reinforcement will ever correct that there is a "attack when cornered" mindset in him and whats worse, he feels 0 pain.

Last edited:
Parse it out by breed and not lumping it into "types of dogs" then we can talk apples to apples.
So you think they should take the time to DNA test the pit bulls that kill old people and children and see if they're a Staffordshire Bull Terrier, and American Staffordshire Terrier, or some bastardization of the two?

This is from the AKC's history of the American Staffordshire Terrier:

"Years ago in Great Britain, several dog breeds were created to excel in blood sports. They were expected to fight one another, or they were turned loose in packs against a staked bear or bull, with spectators betting on the grisly outcome."

Bulldogs have had it bred out of them, while Staffordshire Terriers were bred to be stronger and bite harder (by the Brits) and then to be bigger (by the Americans).

Killing things better has been bred into them from the beginning.

https://www.akc.org/dog-breeds/american-staffordshire-terrier/

It says fatal. You also don't see the really small dogs that are even more prone to biting. They just don't have the power to follow it up.

Maybe furry bear traps with unfortunate instincts shouldn’t be bred.

100, 200 years down the road won’t people be able to genetically modify dogs with home CRISPR kits the way my kids make new dinosaurs in LEGO Jurassic Park?

I’m a pretty libertarian fellow overall, but I see room for regulation that net benefits society without too much cost or burden.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT