ADVERTISEMENT

Georgia Governor Kemp signs sweeping voter suppression law

Nobody is saying it's a return to Jim Crow. Which is not to say that worries about the return of Jim Crow are inappropriate.

Drop boxes addressed a couple of voting problems. A big one was that it could be hard for some working folks to vote because they had few (if any) hours outside of work when they could vote.

If you have drop boxes, but then impose the same access restrictions on using them that created the problem in the first place, that's not an improvement.
Please explain the need for drop boxes when everyone has a mailbox attached to their residence and there are many public mailboxes, at least as many as ballot drop boxes.

Please explain the need for drop boxes when everyone has a mailbox attached to their residence and there are many public mailboxes, at least as many as ballot drop boxes.

Drop boxes do not require USPS
They are picked up at least daily, and are collected at the end of Voting Day of the election.

Ergo, there is zero chance of "votes getting lost in the mail".

I can either mail-in, or drop-box mine. I usually use the drop box, because it's along my usual driving routes, it guarantees receipt, and the USPS doesn't need to spend the $$ handling my ballot.

Nobody is saying it's a return to Jim Crow. Which is not to say that worries about the return of Jim Crow are inappropriate.

Drop boxes addressed a couple of voting problems. A big one was that it could be hard for some working folks to vote because they had few (if any) hours outside of work when they could vote.

If you have drop boxes, but then impose the same access restrictions on using them that created the problem in the first place, that's not an improvement.
Biden said this law makes Jim Crow look tame. So stupid. But not as dumb as the left saying this Alito brief is going to lead to outlawing interracial marriage. Same type of hyperbolic nonsense though.

Drop boxes do not require USPS
They are picked up at least daily, and are collected at the end of Voting Day of the election.

Ergo, there is zero chance of "votes getting lost in the mail".

I can either mail-in, or drop-box mine. I usually use the drop box, because it's along my usual driving routes, it guarantees receipt, and the USPS doesn't need to spend the $$ handling my ballot.
Wait…so it’s a money saver to build a duplicate system for collecting and delivering ballots?

The President said the law was “Jim Crow on steroids”.

You can mail in an absentee ballot. Mailboxes are attached to your residence and there are many more public mailboxes than ballot drop boxes.

Wait…so it’s a money saver to build a duplicate system for collecting and delivering ballots?
It's a system that is much more foolproof than mailing, because not everything dropped in the mail gets postmarked with a readable date on it.

When it is deposited in the ballot drop-off, it is - by default - received on time.
It's also been implemented in multiple states, because of that.

Why shouldn't a more foolproof ballot acceptance method be used?

Reactions: HawkNester
The President said the law was “Jim Crow on steroids”.

You can mail in an absentee ballot. Mailboxes are attached to your residence

And there are documented cases of activists stealing ballots out of mailboxes and destroying them.

This cannot happen if you "drop your ballot off".

It's a system that is much more foolproof than mailing, because not everything dropped in the mail gets postmarked with a readable date on it.

When it is deposited in the ballot drop-off, it is - by default - received on time.

Wait, the reason we need ballot drop boxes is because postmark machines are not 100% legible? So instead of fixing postmark machines, or accepting ballots as provisional in the rare case that postmarks are illegible, we need a new system that is redundant and costly if nothing else? Wouldn’t a better solution be to fix the postmark machine?

And there are documented cases of activists stealing ballots out of mailboxes and destroying them.

This cannot happen if you "drop your ballot off".
There are many videos, and even a new movie about activists illegally stuffing ballot drop boxes. They can track cell phone locations of people going to non government organizations and the back to ballot drop boxes multiple times. This ballot harvesting is illegal in Georgia and most other states. I don’t think you want to go down this road.

There are federal mail fraud statutes that prevent provide extra discouragement to people wanting to cheat via USPS.

Jesus…you guys gotta decide when “a solution looking for a problem” isn’t a big deal. You just spent two days telling us that 3,000,000 vaccines is virtually none but the handful of unreadable postmarks calls for revamping the entire election system. Truly amazing.

There are many videos, and even a new movie about activists illegally stuffing ballot drop boxes. They can track cell phone locations of people going to non government organizations and the back to ballot drop boxes multiple times. This ballot harvesting is illegal in Georgia and most other states. I don’t think you want to go down this road.

There are federal mail fraud statutes that prevent provide extra discouragement to people wanting to cheat via USPS.
Is this “new movie” you are referring to the “documentary” by Dinesh D’Souza, which is so full of garbage that even NewsMax refuses to cover it?

• Haha
Reactions: Joes Place
Is this “new movie” you are referring to the “documentary” by Dinesh D’Souza, which is so full of garbage that even NewsMax refuses to cover it?
He's kind of backed out of the convo. Perhaps he actually looked up how "drop off" and "mail-in" ballots work. And learned that driving to Kinko's/FedEx to mass-print out extra ballots and just dumping them in a ballot drop-off box cannot work...

It's pretty much the same manner that voting in-person works - they don't allow you to fill your ballot out in secret AND then put it in the box in-secret; someone MONITORS to ensure you didn't walk in with 50 pre-filled out ballots and tried to stuff them in the ballot box.

He's kind of backed out of the convo. Perhaps he actually looked up how "drop off" and "mail-in" ballots work. And learned that driving to Kinko's/FedEx to mass-print out extra ballots and just dumping them in a ballot drop-off box cannot work...

It's pretty much the same manner that voting in-person works - they don't allow you to fill your ballot out in secret AND then put it in the box in-secret; someone MONITORS to ensure you didn't walk in with 50 pre-filled out ballots and tried to stuff them in the ballot box.
Nobody said anything about photocopies. Are you telling on yourself here?

I understand that one person dropping off 30 ballots is against the law in Pennsylvania. That is what we see on the video.

And if they were duplicate or fraudulent ballots, they cannot be counted.

Again: do you understand how various states control this?
You get a unique bar-coded envelope for your ballot. One.

When you return that ballot in your unique envelope, you can certainly ask for another, but it will not be counted, because your unique envelope was used. If it is damaged, lost or stolen you can get another unique envelope and use either one, but if both are returned, they'll only count one of them.

If PA doesn't use this method, then they truly have idiots running their ballot systems, because that's how it works in other states.

And in CO, they notify you when your envelope is received (so if you didn't send it you can contact them to tell them not to count it) and they notify you when it is accepted (and once counted, they will not accept another envelope from you).

So, it'd seem that whatever videos you're being duped by here have you all freaked out over Nothingburgers. If people at nursing homes are having their ballots dropped off in bulk, then that's an issue PA will need to deal with.

For all we know, this is some MAGA person dropping off empty envelopes for Dinesh's "movie" as a propaganda stunt.

Does it show someone stuffing a ballot drop box, which you said was impossible?

Pennsylvania's top state elections official is pushing back against a county district attorney's plans to have detectives monitor ballot drop box locations ahead of the upcoming primary and prosecute violations, warning that the plan could intimidate voters.

Acting Secretary of State Leigh Chapman's letter sent late Thursday to Lehigh County District Attorney James Martin also said Martin's concerns about people dropping off more than one ballot needed to take into account the legal right disabled voters have to designate someone else to drop off their completed ballots.

“We’re not in the business of trying to intimidate voters or deprive disabled people of the opportunity to have their ballots cast,” Martin said in a phone interview Friday. “It’s overexaggerated by the people who have made those claims.”

He urged the county to post more visible, more explicit warnings at the drop boxes and limit their hours but acknowledged no evidence has arisen to suggest the drop boxes have been used to tamper with votes or cast fraudulent votes.

Do you know if those are ballots?
Nope.

Did PA investigate and find false ballots? Go send us a link on it.
I’m not going to spend my Sunday addressing every idiotic straw man you put up. Ballot drop boxes are unnecessary, as demonstrated by the fact that the only reason you can offer for their existence is that postmarks can sometimes be illegible.

Ballot drop boxes are subject to fukery as I just demonstrated some lady dropping 30 ballots in the drop box, which is illegal.

I don’t have to figure out where the ballots came from, if they were counted, if they were photocopied, if they were harvested at a nursing home, if Dinesh D’Souza put her up to it, if they had bar codes on them or any of that in order to demonstrate that unattended ballot drop boxes are stupid.

Your argument is that she could not possibly have mailed all those ballots at a USPS box (which, BTW, would NOT be video-monitored)
The problem with USPS is that you can get nailed on federal mail fraud charges when prosecutors can't get other charges to stick, or in the case of former Illinois Governor Ryan, when prosecutors want to add charges to lengthen your sentence.

Also how does the fact that someone could stuff a USPS mailbox mean that we should provide ballot drop boxes?

Also how does the fact that someone could stuff a USPS mailbox mean that we should provide ballot drop boxes?

Louis DeJoy can slow down the mail and scrap sorting machines that delay postmarks and/or prevent votes from reaching precincts within the allotted time.

He can do nothing to legal Voting Drop Boxes, where votes are picked up at least daily.

How many times did we hear complaints about fraud in mail-in voting due to a lack of chain of custody, lack of control of delivery and pickup, inefficiencies in the USPS, etc.? Now many of these same people want to champion it.

Reactions: Joes Place
How many times did we hear complaints about fraud in mail-in voting due to a lack of chain of custody, lack of control of delivery and pickup, inefficiencies in the USPS, etc.? Now many of these same people want to champion it.

Kinda comical, because the SAME "chain of custody" issue exists for both mail-in and drop boxes.

But D'port thinks we should eliminate the drop boxes, even though you can video monitor them 24/7 so if anyone engages in illegal activity you can quite literally track and document it...

You guys have convinced me to only support in-person voting with a picture ID. It really is the only sensible solution.

• Haha
Reactions: DFSNOLE
So, this is what you go to when you realize your post was senseless. Got it.
Not senseless at all. Most of Europe doesn’t allow mail in voting at all, including France, Italy, and the Scandinavian countries. Most of the European countries that do allow mail in voting limit it to military, shut ins, etc and make you pick up your ballot in person with your government issued ID.

Link

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT