ADVERTISEMENT

Georgia Governor Kemp signs sweeping voter suppression law

You guys have convinced me to only support in-person voting with a picture ID. It really is the only sensible solution.

Welp.....there goes the military vote. They're all ineligible in Big Hawk D-port's 'Merica, because they cannot vote in-person at a precinct with photo ID....

Not senseless at all. Most of Europe doesn’t allow mail in voting at all, including France, Italy, and the Scandinavian countries. Most of the European countries that do allow mail in voting limit it to military, shut ins, etc and make you pick up your ballot in person with your government issued ID.

Link
So what?

Nearly ALL of them have a National Holiday, where NO ONE is required to work, so that they can vote, too.
Cool. Here we have early voting that goes on for weeks. I’m sure we can arrive at a compromise that is less crazy than unmonitored ballot drop boxes.

So the way many states conduct elections is a manner that most other democracies think in insecure.
Again, so what? Most of the states that enacted new voting laws after the last election (all red states BTW) reviewed, recounted and audited their election and all of that showed they were fair and secure. And all of these new laws were to pacify a narcissistic loser who couldn't accept the FACT he lost.

Please explain the need for drop boxes when everyone has a mailbox attached to their residence and there are many public mailboxes, at least as many as ballot drop boxes.
You seem to be saying if we don't "need" something, it shouldn't be available.

Drop boxes add convenience to voting and are therefore desirable.

As someone who favors democracy and wants voting to be easy, that's good enough for me.

My point renders all other discussion, from a national perspective, invalid
No; it does not.

The "point" was that drop boxes are fully secure and a valid voting method.
It is entirely a different topic if they should be adopted (and there are already several advantages for them which have been outlined for you).

You seem to be saying if we don't "need" something, it shouldn't be available.

Drop boxes add convenience to voting and are therefore desirable.

As someone who favors democracy and wants voting to be easy, that's good enough for me.
How is a drop box more convenient than the mailbox at the end of my driveway?

Drop boxes carry a cost that states have to shoulder, and unlike the feds they can’t create money out of thin air.

If convenience is your only goal, how about we just create an 800 number to call into and you can just tell the person who you want to vote for? (Cue up the Seinfeld episode where Kramer takes over Movie Phone)

Unmonitored drop boxes are such a bad idea that literally no other democracy in the world uses them, out of concern for integrity.

How is a drop box more convenient than the mailbox at the end of my driveway?
It's more secure, because some guy in a car cannot drive by the drop box and steal your ballot out of it before USPS picks it up.

And it also won't be impacted by a Postmaster General who removes dozens of mail sorters that might put it at risk of arriving on time.

So, maybe not "more convenient", but much greater likelihood your vote ends up counting.

It's more secure, because some guy in a car cannot drive by the drop box and steal your ballot out of it before USPS picks it up.

And it also won't be impacted by a Postmaster General who removes dozens of mail sorters that might put it at risk of arriving on time.

So, maybe not "more convenient", but much greater likelihood your vote ends up counting.
The fact that voting by mail is imperfect doesn’t make unmonitored drop boxes a good idea. Voting in-person, with a photo ID, should be the norm, and save voting by mail for rare exceptions. You know, like the way other civilized countries conduct elections.

The fact that voting by mail is imperfect doesn’t make unmonitored drop boxes a good idea. Voting in-person, with a photo ID, should be the norm, and save voting by mail for rare exceptions. You know, like the way other civilized countries conduct elections.
Do you have any evidence at all that shows either voting by mail or using drop boxes is unsafe and leads to fraud?

The fact that voting by mail is imperfect doesn’t make unmonitored drop boxes a good idea.

Why "unmonitored"?

In OR and CO, they collect the ballots dropped off in them at least daily.
And they're located in highly-trafficked areas.

They can be a "good idea" irrespective of 'Voting By Mail' flaws and risks.

Do you have any evidence at all that shows either voting by mail or using drop boxes is unsafe and leads to fraud?
All he's got is a Youtube video, which doesn't show anything at all.

For all we know, that's MAGA Performance Art used to decry drop boxes, where they just dumped empty envelopes in.

He's already been informed that any mail-in OR drop-box ballot in other states is contained within a uniquely identified envelope, and that any "stray" random ballots dropped in cannot be counted under any circumstance, because they cannot be traced to a registered voter.

He clearly doesn't understand the process, and has no intention of learning the process because he'd figure out it's a very safe and very secure voting method. Can't dispel our MAGA preconceived notions, y'know....

Why would the method "only" be secure in "some states"?
Because others, who don't want that convenience and security for their voters DESIGN it to not be secure?

Because, as I've indicated, each state gets to decide what they are willing to accept to ensure voting security,.. Any voter disagreeing with their state legislature on this topic has a say so in the ultimate makeup of that legislature,... The opinion of outsiders has no value.

Because, as I've indicated, each state gets to decide what they are willing to accept to ensure voting security

Again: Not what people are arguing. And states don't get to "randomly" apply rules that disenfranchise blocs of voters (at least, when we had a Voting Rights Act they couldn't).

NC tried some of the "voting security" rules you're referring to, and got hammered for it. Because it came out in discovery that the intent was not "vote security", but disenfranchising minorities.

You know this is the case for most of them, you just like denying it.

Because, as I've indicated, each state gets to decide what they are willing to accept to ensure voting security,.. Any voter disagreeing with their state legislature on this topic has a say so in the ultimate makeup of that legislature,... The opinion of outsiders has no value.
I 100% agree with this. However, every recent change in State voting laws have not been the result of a need to address actual issues with security within their own systems but instead to appease a defeated president and to pacify a voting block.

Reactions: Joes Place

I worked in downtown Portland for over a year, a couple of blocks from the Federal building where the demonstrations were happening. In Pioneer Square, there a ballot drop box. It's about 50 feet from a Starbucks. Use your imagination.

I worked in downtown Portland for over a year, a couple of blocks from the Federal building where the demonstrations were happening. In Pioneer Square, there a ballot drop box. It's about 50 feet from a Starbucks. Use your imagination.
Was there any fraud ever proven resulting from the placement of that box or must one use their imagination?

• Haha
Reactions: Joes Place
I 100% agree with this. However, every recent change in State voting laws have not been the result of a need to address actual issues with security within their own systems but instead to appease a defeated president and to pacify a voting block.

If that's how you view any changes that might have occurred in your state then vote your legislature accordingly...

So, the USPS is crooked?
No, but some people who work thefor USPS re are bound to be bigots. Just the probabilities.

Do any of then act on it during elections? Who knows?

Would you be surprised if they did?

And if any do, would it surprise you if it worked the way I wondered about it?

My guess is that it's likely enough to warrant looking into it. A good job for an investigative journalist.

Do you mean other than not knowing who is handling and submitting the ballots?

AGAIN: The ballots are contained in individually bar-coded envelopes.
The registered voter assigned to those barcodes is who "submitted" the ballots, and out here I get both text and email notifications when my "envelope"/ballot is received, and then when the signature is matched up and it is "counted".

You continue to demonstrate that you do not understand how the process works.

imagination-spongebob-squarepants.gif

Do you mean other than not knowing who is handling and submitting the ballots?
Were you part of Trump's 1-63 legal team? You seem to not understand the difference between theory and actual evidence.

Just say there was/is no evidence of voting fraud in connection with these boxes. The truth will set you free.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT