ADVERTISEMENT

Georgia Supreme Court reinstates abortion ban

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
The Georgia Supreme Court Wednesday reinstated the state’s ban on abortions after roughly six weeks of pregnancy.

The high court put a lower court ruling overturning the ban on hold while it considers an appeal.

Fulton County Superior Court Judge Robert McBurney ruled on November 15 that the state’s abortion ban was invalid because when it was signed into law in 2019, U.S. Supreme Court precedent under Roe. v. Wade and another ruling allowed abortion well past six weeks.

The decision immediately prohibited enforcement of the abortion ban statewide. Abortion providers had resumed performing the procedure past six weeks.

The state attorney general’s office appealed the ruling to the state Supreme Court. It also asked the high court for an order putting the decision on hold while the appeal was pending.

Georgia’s ban took effect in July, after the U.S. Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade. It prohibited most abortions once a “detectable human heartbeat” was present.

Cardiac activity can be detected by ultrasound in cells within an embryo that will eventually become the heart around six weeks into a pregnancy. That means most abortions in Georgia were effectively banned at a point before many people knew they were pregnant.

I'm guessing that the Georgia legislature only passes laws that a majority of the Georgia legislature agrees with,.. If Georgia voters disagree with this particular bill the Georgia legislature will be seeing some new faces.

I'm guessing that the Georgia legislature only passes laws that a majority of the Georgia legislature agrees with,.. If Georgia voters disagree with this particular bill the Georgia legislature will be seeing some new faces.
Are you serious? Jesus Christ could run as a Dem against Satan as a Rep and he would get beaten in Georgia. Only the letter behind the name means anything.

Are you serious? Jesus Christ could run as a Dem against Satan as a Rep and he would get beaten in Georgia. Only the letter behind the name means anything.

If true, then apparently a majority of Georgians have the legislature they want...

Thas why they have two blue senators and 5 blue reps right?

See what happened in Kansas and Kentucky recently? The people spoke, and the evangelical base told the politicians to ignore them.
6 week bans are not popular, but it's a litmus test. I'm not sure you understand how primaries, and even the threat of a primary, bend sensible politicians into voting like zealots.

See what happened in Kansas and Kentucky recently? The people spoke, and the evangelical base told the politicians to ignore them.
6 week bans are not popular, but it's a litmus test. I'm not sure you understand how primaries, and even the threat of a primary, bend sensible politicians into voting like zealots.

Yep, the voters will have their say,.. I suspect that a lot of the state level abortion bills, like this one, were passed into existence simply because the presence of Roe made them immediately null and void,.. Many voters just didn't get concerned about these bills,.. But now they will make their feelings known at the ballot box.

You know, they always mention that this is before they know they are pregnant. Hopefully a law like this would make people be more careful and also to check earlier if they had been active. It could be a good thing with positive health side effects.

Then you don't understand how legislatures work. They have rigged their districts so that they'll always have a majority of Republican voters even though the state has elected Democratic senators (Assuming Warnock wins) in the last two cycles. So much like the electoral college, their legislature is ruled by landmass and not people. The rural areas are packed with conservatives, the cities have more liberal voters, but they're all packed into a smaller amount of land.

As a result, Republicans rule the state even though it's not even close to a majority wanting this abortion law.

ADVERTISEMENT