ADVERTISEMENT

Gesell did a superb job of

Hawk68

HB MVP
Oct 1, 2001
of distributing the ball today, but has not hit the 15' jumper in the last two games. Iowa needs that shot against a good zone team. By the way, has anybody else noticed that Jok has disappeared lately?

I didn't get to see the game today, but I was gonna ask about what happened to Jok. Saw he didn't score.

Rough shooting game for all the guards except clemmons. Gesell 0-5, Jok 0-5 and Ogelsby 1-5. Good thing the defense has improved a lot and our bigs shot well.

Jok isn't scoring because he's now targeted by the defense. that's opened driving lanes up considerably and improved spacing for our big guys.

Jok had a lot of nice open looks but just didn't hit. Gesell had a sneaky good game in that my first viewing I was pretty unimpressed, but re-watching the game he had a really nice game at point.

PG play between Gesell and Clemmons was solid, SG was pretty meh but with Iowa the offense really runs though the forward positions, which was fantastic.

There was a lot of open looks early in the first half the Hawks rimmed out and this game wouldn't have been nearly as close. The good thing is they still won big despite not shooting that well.

Credit that to playing great team defense.

This post was edited on 3/7 8:59 PM by like-woahh

Jok didn't take any bad shots and didn't force anything, they just weren't falling for him or any of the guards. Our defense and White/Utofff/Woodburry carried the day. Pretty Nic when you can beat a decent team with only a few players doing well. But even the guys who didn't score contributed in ither ways.

Originally posted by L. Wad...ldress:
Jok isn't scoring because he's now targeted by the defense. that's opened driving lanes up considerably and improved spacing for our big guys.
This. Both pgs were able to get into the lane and feed bigs.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by Hawk68:

of distributing the ball today, but has not hit the 15' jumper in the last two games. Iowa needs that shot against a good zone team. By the way, has anybody else noticed that Jok has disappeared lately?
Maybe, but he had a couple huge 3's against IU.

Originally posted by like-woahh:
Jok had a lot of nice open looks but just didn't hit. Gesell had a sneaky good game in that my first viewing I was pretty unimpressed, but re-watching the game he had a really nice game at point.

PG play between Gesell and Clemmons was solid, SG was pretty meh but with Iowa the offense really runs though the forward positions, which was fantastic.

There was a lot of open looks early in the first half the Hawks rimmed out and this game wouldn't have been nearly as close. The good thing is they still won big despite not shooting that well.

Did you notice how many more times Aaron could have slammed home another lob? Northwestern was completely forgetting about White down low all game long.

It is so fun to watch. Aaron just kind of walks to about six, seven feet of the rim and hangs around. Eventually his defender (who is fronting him) moves a couple feet or so away and is trying to watch the movement of the ball as we pass it.

All it takes is for someone outside to see White being ignored. In fact, most of the work is on the passer!

But the best part is White is trying so hard to be that "just passing by" guy...."nothing to see here".

He could have easily had five more dunks.

I DREAM of combining that part of our offense with the old shot pass of Dr. Tom's day.

Originally posted by DanL53:
Originally posted by like-woahh:

Did you notice how many more times Aaron could have slammed home another lob? Northwestern was completely forgetting about White down low all game long.

It is so fun to watch. Aaron just kind of walks to about six, seven feet of the rim and hangs around. Eventually his defender (who is fronting him) moves a couple feet or so away and is trying to watch the movement of the ball as we pass it.

All it takes is for someone outside to see White being ignored. In fact, most of the work is on the passer!

But the best part is White is trying so hard to be that "just passing by" guy...."nothing to see here".

He could have easily had five more dunks.

I DREAM of combining that part of our offense with the old shot pass of Dr. Tom's day.
Oh man so was Gabe. They were leaving him alone down in the low baseline so many times. There were a few possessions there where I thought they got far too unselfish where Gabe could have just taken it to the rim and drawed a foul or flushed it.

Northwestern did a terrible job of covering the baseline in that zone and crazy enough, Iowa could have exploited it even more than they already had.

Originally posted by L. Wade Childress:
That's a really good point. He hasn't been nearly as open as he was before.

Regarding Jok, that is the ultimate compliment. Play above it. You're a deadly shooter, step inside & take the jumper, drive it to the the rack & pull it up. Make it happen.

I can't find enough great things to say about the outstanding things Gesell did on the court today!

If Gesell works hard during the off-season he will be one of the top 10 PG's in America, IMO. He has great court vision and is an exceptional passer, hopefully he can get his arm healed up so he can knock down more jumpers.

Jok is just going through a cold streak, I think he'll snap out of it in Chicago thanks to some rest, thankfully JO has stepped up his game lately to cover Jok. Either way this back court will only get better and better.

I didn't realize Macintosh had 20 points yesterday. Glad to hear we have no chance of winning a NCAA game andoboy, we might as well end the arson now. What an idiot you are sir.

I may be wrong, but I didn't think Macintosh was a PG. Doesn't Gesell guard the PG? I have tried to watch Gesell on defense the last many games, and I think he only gets beat maybe 2 or 3 times a game against the good opponent. And maybe he gives up several 3 PT shots because he is inside getting rebounds. Seems like I see him inside on a lot of shots.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT