ADVERTISEMENT

Gilman

"Excuses are for wussy Hawk fans"

Spencer should claim he first coined the phrase and put it on a tee shirt..

Spencer is talking about himself as a competitor. It's a good mindset to have. Fans are allowed to say "it's unfortunate for Spencer and fortunate for Gilman that Spencer was injured and unable to compete at trials".

Either way, congrats to Gilman, he got the job (mostly) done vs international competition and won bronze. I personally don't think he'd be there if Spencer were healthy. Looking forward to them wrestling next summer hopefully.

Reactions: pumpdog20
You see a few butt hurt people who trashed Gilman for leaving and then act like the entire fan base felt the same way.

read this thread from the start. disgusting.

if you can read - i didn't say a word about the hawk fan base. i said anyone who posted vitriol in this thread is an idiot.

and that's reinforced by the class that the university displayed by sending the tweet. it's a shining light that says they don't agree with the bs in this thread. ya idiots.

When some on BWI used to trash Gilman constantly, when he was a Hawkeye, do you think Willie went there to tell them to be better? **** no. He goes there to suck salami. See the game Willie plays? He is a rat
if you don't think this thread is totally distasteful that says a lot about your character.

Reactions: Hoosier Lion
read this thread from the start. disgusting.

if you can read - i didn't say a word about the hawk fan base. i said anyone who posted vitriol in this thread is an idiot.

and that's reinforced by the class that the university displayed by sending the tweet. it's a shining light that says they don't agree with the bs in this thread. ya idiots.

I’m not condoning all the comments in this thread and others but at the same time, most of them were in response to Gilman’s public comments that were completely unnecessary.

Would you agree that Gilman displayed unnecessary vitriol towards Tom, Terry and Spencer?

I’m not condoning all the comments in this thread and others but at the same time, most of them were in response to Gilman’s public comments that were completely unnecessary.

Would you agree that Gilman displayed unnecessary vitriol towards Tom, Terry and Spencer?
no. no i don't.

+ grow the ef up. dude just won OLY medal and you're still saying 'psu didn't coach him up'.

'wait till spencer'

you'd think a franchise w/ so much success would act like they been there before. stay classy

no. no i don't.

+ grow the ef up. dude just won OLY medal and you're still saying 'psu didn't coach him up'.

'wait till spencer'

you'd think a franchise w/ so much success would act like they been there before. stay classy

I have not said anything remotely close to that. If you are talking about other people then I agree they should grow up.

no. no i don't.

'wait till spencer'

it's weird that you take every opportunity to cherry pick a couple bitter idiots on this board and act like they're representative of the fanbase. TG got tons of support on this board all week.

with that being said, it's also a little rich to act like TG is some innocent bystander here. he's a troll lol. he always has been. he loves stirring the pot. a lot of us loved it when he was riling up other fanbases with his antics and now he does it to us and that's fine. he doesn't get talked about on here unless he trolls iowa somewhere online and then he gets the response he's looking for. more power to him for it. doesn't make him a victim of unfair criticism. he gets exactly what he wants

Turk, we get it. you don't like me b/c i made a fool of you on boards a bunch of times.

so can you stick to the topic, pal. and rebut the actual points? which is this, which you already admitted.

"
WildTurk said:
I never said it wasn't distasteful."

Reactions: Scruddy
it's weird that you take every opportunity to cherry pick a couple bitter idiots on this board and act like they're representative of the fanbase. TG got tons of support on this board all week.

with that being said, it's also a little rich to act like TG is some innocent bystander here. he's a troll lol. he always has been. he loves stirring the pot. a lot of us loved it when he was riling up other fanbases with his antics and now he does it to us and that's fine. he doesn't get talked about on here unless he trolls iowa somewhere online and then he gets the response he's looking for. more power to him for it. doesn't make him a victim of unfair criticism. he gets exactly what he wants

no, no, no. not 'these boards'. i was very specific. THIS THREAD.

you even got many of the regulars now openly saying it's trash.

Turk, we get it. you don't like me b/c i made a fool of you on boards a bunch of times.

so can you stick to the topic, pal. and rebut the actual points? which is this, which you already admitted.

"
WildTurk said:
Dude, it's time for you to shut the hell up and take a hike. The vast majority of us were cheering Thomas on every step of the way.

if you don't think this thread is totally distasteful that says a lot about your character.
Willie, these are the people that accuse kids of taking steroids, parents and student athletes taking payoffs, programs cheating to get ahead... Why so suprised about what is being said here in this thread? These are the people the adm's decide to allow to represent their fanbase instead of throwing out the trash. So i dont understand why all the hate and the mods banning people like us that call them out for being the garbage that they are...

Dude, it's time for you to shut the hell up and take a hike. The vast majority of us were cheering Thomas on every step of the way.
then i'm not talking about you.

how many times do i have to post that i'm talking about the people that were totally out of bounds in this thread?

how many times do i have to post that i never, not once, said 'iowa fans'?

Reactions: MorleysDawg
then i'm not talking about you.

how many times do i have to post that i'm talking about the people that were totally out of bounds in this thread?

how many times do i have to post that i never, not once, said 'iowa fans'?
Thomas is a big boy, he can handle himself. I doubt he's gonna **** you either so you can stop pretending to be his guardian angel you sanctimonious pussy.

"
WildTurk said:
False. I've always held my ground with you. You started talking shit to me on BWI a few times and got some likes from the home crowd. Then you got all smiley and buttered up with Budweiser and feel real good about yourself.

No matter what room you enter, you always think you are the smartest guy there. Can't you see that?

And remember when you used to say on FRL or tweet out.. "look what HR just posted" or "HR just said this" You have often lumped the fanbase in with what a few dingbats have said.

Were you abused as a child? Picked on as a teenager? It's OK, you can get help for that

if you don't find it ironic and hilarious the UofI (which means tom and terry) can be supportive of TG and then someone posted that tweet in a 4-page thread where y'all ripped him to shreds then......

i'm not 'rubbing it in' to anyone. i'm saying that people said things in this thread that were fing awful and your coaches showed you what class is.

be better.
Again another broad stroke. But, I suppose it's easier to just lump everyone together and you're a busy man, so easy might be all you have time for. Just know you piss those people off who your lazy brain probably didn't intend to. LMAO

Again another broad stroke. But, I suppose it's easier to just lump everyone together and you're a busy man, so easy might be all you have time for. Just know you piss those people off who your lazy brain probably didn't intend to. LMAO
can you read? at every turn i said "this thread", 'those posters', etc.

spin bs any way you want. i never said 'iowa fans..."

you guys need to look in the mirror. you're embarrassing the program

Bold statement from a guy who types like a 7th grader.

The fact that you're here at all means you're trying to start shit. Don't act all butthurt when you rightfully get called out on it.

tapemeasure.jpeg

Any volunteers to measure the pi$$ing contest so the thread can move on?

LOL, if you say so big boy. You have embarrassed yourself and the companies you represent plenty of times and it's worked out okay for you. I think the Hawkeye wrestling program will be alright despite us. LMAO

no, no, no. not 'these boards'. i was very specific. THIS THREAD.

you even got many of the regulars now openly saying it's trash.
You literally just posted this thread to twitter and called us the cesspool. You know exactly how your followers are going to read that. You know what you're doing.

I don't know why, but you have a deep need for confrontation. Surely, you have better things to do than troll Iowa fans in a months old thread right? Or maybe not? I don't get it.

How many
You literally just posted this thread to twitter and called us the cesspool. You know exactly how your followers are going to read that. You know what you're doing.

I don't know why, but you have a deep need for confrontation. Surely, you have better things to do than troll Iowa fans in a months old thread right? Or maybe not? I don't get it.

6355f5d43f9289ffc656e3bf8a1a5edd.jpg

Personally, I rooted for TG because of all the years here at Iowa, I root for the American, plus (all bullsh*t aside) the fact that I know how much he loves this country and snagging an Olympic medal is huge for him in this respect. That said, grabbing a thread that is reacting to what Gilman said/done from March and selling it as consensus is kinda meh. Gilman has always stirred the pot to get reactions. Only in this moment are we acting like the internet should be classy in its response.

He could have said. "Check out this thread on HR. Look at what a few of the anonymous posters said there"

Nope it's the "Cesspool" as in all of HR. Or as some of his followers will see it "the voice the Iowa fanbase"

Be better Willie. It's like you just went to the principal's office to snitch on everyone that has done you wrong. Are you starting to see why you're considered a weasel? Are you day drinking? Self Awareness pill kicking in yet? Pay attention dum dum

Last edited:

You know you could resolve/prevent this by just quoting the exact posts that you think are distasteful and responding with your opinion to those people directly? Rather than vaguely criticizing the entire forum/fanbase.

Thomas definitely deserves some of the criticism he gets (by a handful of fanbases/opponents) for things he's said and done. He seems like a great guy deep down. Just diehard committed to the sport of wrestling and has got what he's earned every step along the way.

I'm happy for him that he won an Olympic medal. I'm not happy that he's wrestling for the NLWC now and that it didn't work out for him at the HWC, but it seemed inevitable at some point there would be a clash and it wouldn't make sense for him to stick around if he didn't think he had the full support of the team or if he had better funding options elsewhere. I don't know the details, but it doesn't take an insider to know that Spencer Lee was likely the catalyst of Gilman leaving (in addition to Perry's departures). I think all hawk fans are pretty damn content with that tradeoff.

Life isn't black and white. Hawk fans can both be happy for Gilman and also criticize some of the things he's said about the program or the way he comes across publicly (tweeting in all caps when a PSU wrestler beats his former Hawkeye teammate at nationals) for example. He's a hypocrite, most of us are hypocrites, you're a hypocrite. Get off your high horse and recognize there's some nuance to the situation and it's not all going to be ponies and rainbows. At the end of the day, congrats to Gilman, I think most of us are happy for him individually.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT