ADVERTISEMENT

Gilman's Future

WesternPA

Team MVP
Jun 10, 2018
I have not seen much on Gilman since Final X. Did he ever comment on his matches vs. Fix?

I'm guessing his future includes making a run at the 2020 team. If he was not to make it, where does his wrestling career go at that point?

Any thoughts on his career after his competing days are over? Coaching perhaps?

He seems like a very thoughtful and cerebral guy, I can almost see him teaching philosophy or something like that.

He would a killer spec ops guy too, just saying.

Reactions: Exo
I have not seen much on Gilman since Final X. Did he ever comment on his matches vs. Fix?

I'm guessing his future includes making a run at the 2020 team. If he was not to make it, where does his wrestling career go at that point?

He seems like a very thoughtful and cerebral guy, I can almost see him teaching philosophy or something like that.

U.S. Ambassador to Japan. :D

U.S. Ambassador to Japan. :D

ThomasGilman150x250.jpg

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
I think we should let him finish his career before we try to figure out what is next. I would think the inn is full as far as Hawk coaches go. Also, he may want to go all the way thru 2024.

Well Clark is still wrestling with the HWC and he graduated a year ahead of Gilman. Dont see him going anywhere yet, so I see Gilman staying around through a few more years. HE may and I would expect it as so, that he'll be added to the coaching staff of the HWC.

I could see him being a history teacher...I mean really, who the f*ck is going to argue with him.
And I can hear him telling that class something thoughtful and cerebral like,
"Who the f*ck want's to argue with me?"

Thoughtful and cerebral? The kid insulted every single person at "Fight Night" a year ago. Made not only himself but the entire program and university look terrible.

Thoughtful and cerebral? The kid insulted every single person at "Fight Night" a year ago. Made not only himself but the entire program and university look terrible.
Thats a little melodramatic....apparently you’re the only one that hasn’t got over it.... I think most found it amusing.....I know I did.... that’s just Gilman..... put yea I don’t think public relations is a good field for him....or teaching :p

Last edited:
Reactions: hoythawk
Thats a little melodramatic....apparently you’re the only one that hasn’t got over it.... I think most found it amusing.....I know I did.... that’s just Gilman..... put yea I don’t think public relations is a good field for him....or teaching :p

The whole thing, including Iowa pulling out of the annual event, was a huge PR mistake for the Iowa program.

The whole thing, including Iowa pulling out of the annual event, was a huge PR mistake for the Iowa program.
I guess I never thought about it that hard....doesn’t seem like it’s set them back much.... not to be argumentative but in what specific way has this damaged the program? Do you think ISU and UNI hate us more now? If so who cares ? Wasn’t a great look I suppose among the Iowa high school coaches but I doubt it hurt recruiting

Last edited:
I guess I never thought about it that hard....doesn’t seem like it’s set them back much.... not to be argumentative but in what specific way has this damaged the program? Do you think ISU and UNI hate us more now? If so who cares ? Wasn’t a great look I suppose among the Iowa high school coaches but I doubt it hurt recruiting

NE Iowa is the cradle of HS wrestling in Iowa. This is a major opportunity to rub shoulders with HS coaches and fans. Bitching out on the event when UNI and ISU continue to participate is a poor look. Pretty strange that they can't come up with a single rep of the program to come while UNI and ISU bring out heavy hitters. I'm not claiming this is some major hit to the program but this is a simple, yet great event that Iowa has been part of for many years and not sending anyone does not show well at all. It's a little thing but it's an easy thing--not a lot of time or expense is required. It's a layup.

NE Iowa is the cradle of HS wrestling in Iowa. This is a major opportunity to rub shoulders with HS coaches and fans. Bitching out on the event when UNI and ISU continue to participate is a poor look. Pretty strange that they can't come up with a single rep of the program to come while UNI and ISU bring out heavy hitters. I'm not claiming this is some major hit to the program but this is a simple, yet great event that Iowa has been part of for many years and not sending anyone does not show well at all. It's a little thing but it's an easy thing--not a lot of time or expense is required. It's a layup.
Ok..... thanks for explaining
We definitely have some other wrestlers that would be outstanding like Lee..... the bull Kemerer....and of course Morningstar and the Brands always rep well..... not sure what happened there but I definitely think there’s bad blood between Brands and Schwab and Brands and Dresser..... personally I had never heard of the event until Gilmans performance

I don't think it matters one bit. Iowa State, UNI, Grandview etc can go to the event, but Iowa is on another level. Maybe that's the message being sent?

Maybe, but it doesn't send the best message to the wrestling community. All of you have to see the resurgence of ISU wrestling and their fan base. I think you can say the same about UNI. Make up any excuse you want. Attending a long standing, very well attended event, with die hard wrestling fans, which is 90 miles away, should have the UofI in attendance.

I don't think it matters one bit. Iowa State, UNI, Grandview etc can go to the event, but Iowa is on another level. Maybe that's the message being sent?

I don't see how sending a message that you're arrogant is a good idea. UNI and ISU are selling the heck out of their program right now and it is not the time for Iowa to turn a blind eye on an opportunity to engage coaches and fans in the Iowa wrestling community. It's a small thing but this type of stuff tends to add up.

I don't see how sending a message that you're arrogant is a good idea. UNI and ISU are selling the heck out of their program right now and it is not the time for Iowa to turn a blind eye on an opportunity to engage coaches and fans in the Iowa wrestling community. It's a small thing but this type of stuff tends to add up.
You are right on. We often talk about using the Iowa program to help build wrestling across the country by traveling to smaller schools and giving their fan base, and wrestling fans in the area, the chance to come see a top tier, storied program compete against a smaller school, ie: Edinboro, Kent State, Lehigh, SDST, Montana State, etc...

Many may not agree with these meets, but I think it's part of what makes college wrestling special. It's a grass roots thing in a down to earth sport and creates good will with fan bases around the country. It would be a shame if we start losing that type of good will in our own state. These things many not be important to mighty Iowa right this moment, but a solid foundation is the key to any great structure. Local events and things like the IC Duals are tools to keep the home state foundation strong for the future .....imo.

...and UNI should be on our schedule every year in some format or another.

Reactions: Inthecircle
NE Iowa is the cradle of high school wrestling? Why do you think that? Wouldn't happen to be because you live there? This is a non issue that you're too biased to have a fair opinion on.

NE Iowa is the cradle of high school wrestling? Why do you think that? Wouldn't happen to be because you live there? This is a non issue that you're too biased to have a fair opinion on.

Meh...call it whatever you'd like. The programs in this region have a history that stand for themselves, regardless of what adjective you use.

Honestly, Iowa is on another level in college wrestling than UNI and ISU. Is it good to go and rub shoulders with the high school coaches? Probably, but there are plenty of opportunities for that. In my opinion, any event that presents all the programs as equals is not good for Iowa. We need to be presented as the premier program in the state or else it hurts our brand. Why give ISU and UNI the free advertising by being on stage with Brands or whoever they send? I think it's better for Iowa not to go as they have nothing to gain and more to lose.

Honestly, Iowa is on another level in college wrestling than UNI and ISU. Is it good to go and rub shoulders with the high school coaches? Probably, but there are plenty of opportunities for that. In my opinion, any event that presents all the programs as equals is not good for Iowa. We need to be presented as the premier program in the state or else it hurts our brand. Why give ISU and UNI the free advertising by being on stage with Brands or whoever they send? I think it's better for Iowa not to go as they have nothing to gain and more to lose.

This pretty much covers ever major marketing mistake made by big companies and brands that have fallen by the wayside over the years. Lose track of who you are and what's important, let others control the narrative and promote themselves, failure to adapt, lose sight of the customer...I could go on. This particular event is a small thing but if it's a symptom of a bigger problem, that's bad.

I can't believe what I just read. SMH

This pretty much covers ever major marketing mistake made by big companies and brands that have fallen by the wayside over the years. Lose track of who you are and what's important, let others control the narrative and promote themselves, failure to adapt, lose sight of the customer...I could go on. This particular event is a small thing but if it's a symptom of a bigger problem, that's bad.
Please give me a comparative example of large corporations or companies making this mistake? That's a pretty damning statement, but I have a feeling there is actually little substance behind it.

Do you feel like Iowa has lost track of their brand? There are two programs talked about consistently in NCAA wrestling and neither one is ISU or UNI. Why should we let those two teams dictate the way Iowa markets itself? We need to do Fight Night because Dresser and Schwab think we do? Well that seems likea step back.

Last edited:

Minor league baseball teams have corny promos, special uniforms and Star Wars nights etc. because they need a way to generate fan interest. Major league teams don't do those gimmicks, because they have an actual product on the field. ISU, UNI, Wartburg and Grandview can do their gimmicks, Iowa puts a product on the mat.

Please give me a comparative example of large corporations or companies making this mistake? That's a pretty damning statement, but I have a feeling there is actually little substance behind it.

Do you feel like Iowa has lost track of there brand? There are two programs talked about consistently in NCAA wrestling and neither one is ISU or UNI. Why should we let those two teams dictate the way Iowa markets itself? We need to do Fight Night because Dresser and Schwab think we do? Well that seems likea step back.

Sears, Kmart and Toys R Us come to mind just off the top of my head. IBM was there once, too. That literally took 30 seconds to come up with.

Iowa should do this event because it's an absolute layup from a promotional standpoint. Good audience. Good location. Zero planning required. One night. Short drive. Just show up. Literally tailor made for them to have touch points with key individuals. No reason to leave the door cracked open for UNI and ISU.

Sears, Kmart and Toys R Us come to mind just off the top of my head. IBM was there once, too. That literally took 30 seconds to come up with.

Iowa should do this event because it's an absolute layup from a promotional standpoint. Good audience. Good location. Zero planning required. One night. Short drive. Just show up. Literally tailor made for them to have touch points with key individuals. No reason to leave the door cracked open for UNI and ISU.
The cheapest discount stores failed. I'm shocked.

Minor league baseball teams have corny promos, special uniforms and Star Wars nights etc. because they need a way to generate fan interest. Major league teams don't do those gimmicks, because they have an actual product on the field. ISU, UNI, Wartburg and Grandview can do their gimmicks, Iowa puts a product on the mat.

What's corny about a college wrestling coach spending a few hours with fans and high school coaches talking about their team and program? That's not a gimmick. Awful take.

Reactions: pumpdog20
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT