ADVERTISEMENT

Giving BF some credit

pondscum

All-Conference
Gold Member
Jun 18, 2011
When I think about, as much as I hate to, we probably need to BF and Jon B some credit here hard to imagine KF would hit the portal without a big push and direction from BF. I suspect Jon B also had a hand in it. Maybe some others but you have to wonder if those two weren't prime movers

I would love to see Brian stay on the Iowa coaching staff, but as a position coach only ( NOT QB COACH). Move him back to the OL coach. I am not sure if Barnett is not a good OL coach, or if Tim Polasek was a terrible OL coach and Barnett is playing OL catch up. I think however owa with the current NCAA blocking rules needs to scrap the zone blocking.

I would love to see Brian stay on the Iowa coaching staff, but as a position coach only ( NOT QB COACH). Move him back to the OL coach. I am not sure if Barnett is not a good OL coach, or if Tim Polasek was a terrible OL coach and Barnett is playing OL catch up. I think however owa with the current NCAA blocking rules needs to scrap the zone blocking.

I guess but is fairly remarkable how many teams zone block. Almost all of them a little and many predominantly!

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
okay kudo's for trying to improve. Being in bottom 15% of offenses last year and then becoming 130/131 this year deserves opposite reaction. I do think the old man has at least as much to do with this offensive debacle as BF.

I don't understand everyone beating the fire brain drums? as iowa fans the last 20+ years we have had the same complaints about the offense. the past 3 seasons the QB play was just worse than the previous 5/10 years! Thats it, the only way we get real change is a new staff.

Brain has actually called some pretty decent games in his time as OC imo. the USC game sticks out as does the 2017 Ohio st game, FWIW

Here is what I don't get.

The KF hatred/fatigue is so thick that KF gets credit for NOTHING. Anything good that happens to Iowa football is due to someone else. Anything bad that happens is KF's fault.

Now we are thanking BF for convincing KF to take portal transfers. Wow.

And giving BF a pass for the offense being so bad because the QB was bad. Wow x 2.

For what? Pointing out the obvious?
I was thinking the same thing. Just imagine if Iowa would’ve have taken this approach after last seasons sh!t show on offense. Upgrade qb and bring in at least one more OL or Wr could’ve made a world of difference. Granted still would have same incompetent OC but still could have been better especially at qb.

Here is what I don't get.

The KF hatred/fatigue is so thick that KF gets credit for NOTHING. Anything good that happens to Iowa football is due to someone else. Anything bad that happens is KF's fault.

Now we are thanking BF for convincing KF to take portal transfers. Wow.

And giving BF a pass for the offense being so bad because the QB was bad. Wow x 2.
After 20 plus years, you would think would have something more, a Rose Bowl win maybe like Whisky has three. A large number of big wins rather than a few. A more competitive schedule rather than cup cake city most of Sept. You wouldn't think the program would be going backwards after two decades.
Time for a change. This is a joke. KF is the Chuck Grassley of coaching. Maybe even the Bernie Madoff.

I’m just looking forward to seeing what these changes are going to be in the Iowa offense. Cade McNamara is a very good QB that could have had a lot of other options and he‘s not a dumb guy. He talked about promised changes, so I’m looking forward to seeing what they are.

I’m just looking forward to seeing what these changes are going to be in the Iowa offense. Cade McNamara is a very good QB that could have had a lot of other options and he‘s not a dumb guy. He talked about promised changes, so I’m looking forward to seeing what they are.
I agree 100%. I still think we get some experienced wrs in the portal and am expecting/hoping for a top 60 offense.

I agree 100%. I still think we get some experienced wrs in the portal and am expecting/hoping for a top 60 offense.
I think most hawk fans would take anything in top 100 after last 2 years or least be some sort of improvement. Honestly if Iowa had an offense ranked even just in the range of 90-100 good chance 10-2 last season.

I guess but is fairly remarkable how many teams zone block. Almost all of them a little and many predominantly!

To me it’s a combination of they’ve changed how they officiate to zone blocking (Kirk has talked about this often), and adjustments defenses have made to attack zone blocking; and seemingly Kirk has made only minimal adjustments in response to both.

I think most hawk fans would take anything in top 100 after last 2 years or least be some sort of improvement. Honestly if Iowa had an offense ranked even just in the range of 90-100 good chance 10-2 last season.
I wouldn't complain either for the 90th offense but am really hoping for a big jump.

After 20 plus years, you would think would have something more, a Rose Bowl win maybe like Whisky has three. A large number of big wins rather than a few. A more competitive schedule rather than cup cake city most of Sept. You wouldn't think the program would be going backwards after two decades.
Time for a change. This is a joke. KF is the Chuck Grassley of coaching. Maybe even the Bernie Madoff.
I don't disagree that it is time for a change. But fans treat KF like he should be sitting in a nursing home eating pudding. Even BF gets better treatment.

But forget the last 20 years for a moment. In the last 5 years Iowa has arguably out-performed Nebraska, Minnesota, Illinois, NW, Illinois, Indiana, Maryland and Rutgers. Maybe even Michigan State and Purdue.

Things are not so bad that everyone should hate KF.

To me it’s a combination of they’ve changed how they officiate to zone blocking (Kirk has talked about this often), and adjustments defenses have made to attack zone blocking; and seemingly Kirk has made only minimal adjustments in response to both.

That seems plausible but although I haven’t watched enough games to say definitively, they do call those same penalties in other games.

Reactions: sober_teacher
I’m admittedly grasping at straws to explain how and why Kirks zone blocking scheme, which arguably was the foundation of the program, hasn’t been good consistently for several years now.

Yes, you are correct and it’s not because “zone blocking” doesn’t work, but it certainly isn’t working for us. Lol.

Reactions: Bishop1971
I don't understand everyone beating the fire brain drums? as iowa fans the last 20+ years we have had the same complaints about the offense. the past 3 seasons the QB play was just worse than the previous 5/10 years! Thats it, the only way we get real change is a new staff.

Brain has actually called some pretty decent games in his time as OC imo. the USC game sticks out as does the 2017 Ohio st game, FWIW
LOL. I wonder how long BF can ride the "but OSU 2017" and "but USC 2019" trains. I suppose since KF is still riding the "but 2015 season" train, it must be a family trait.

When I think about, as much as I hate to, we probably need to BF and Jon B some credit here hard to imagine KF would hit the portal without a big push and direction from BF. I suspect Jon B also had a hand in it. Maybe some others but you have to wonder if those two weren't prime movers
"we probably need to give BF and Jon B some credit"

not-up-in-here-vegas.gif

God if I only had to be good at my job 2x in my career...

Reactions: your_master5

It's Kirk, anyone that hasn't figured that out!!
%$##$%
Wth??

Reactions: Stoopsbrother
He's that garbage man that dumps your can, but spills half of it out in your drive....and calmly walks on like he didn't notice the mess he made and you have to take care of.

Interesting, those guys don’t typically get fired period, mostly because that’s a tough hard job and no one gets fired! They typically quit!

With that said I have mucho respect for those guys, that’s a tough ass lousy job!

Reactions: F5n5
What adjustments to line blocking has he made? And which ones should he have made?

Thanks in advance.

What adjustments to line blocking has he made? And which ones should he have made?

Thanks in advance.
Not being a coach I don’t pretend to have every answer. I only know that changes to how cut blocks are officiated has changed over the years - Kirk usually brings this up at least once per season when someone gets penalized. I believe he thinks the rules changes ask too much of officials in the moment, but I also wonder if changes to the blocking schemes should happen as well to compensate. Also, it seems fairly clear that opponents have more and more effectively been attacking the line of scrimmage against us, especially on stretch plays that are the foundation of the zone blocking scheme. Again, if Iowa has attempted to adjust to this, it hasn’t been effective at doing so.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT